IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

fuel questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 08:29 AM
Nilism
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel questions

So, I have a few questions on fuel. I'm pretty sure the IS requires premium fuel. I was reading in the owner's manual and it was talking about using a quality fuel, and specifically that they did not mean high octane.

I know bad fuel can end up costing you a lot of money in extra repairs. How do I know I am getting good fuel? Are there certain brands I should try to get?

Also, should I be looking at more regular fuel filter changes then recommended?

Anything else I should consider when making fuel choices?

Keep in mind I am Canadian, and we have harsh winters.

Regards. :-)
Old 09-01-12, 10:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nilism
So, I have a few questions on fuel. I'm pretty sure the IS requires premium fuel. I was reading in the owner's manual and it was talking about using a quality fuel, and specifically that they did not mean high octane.

I know bad fuel can end up costing you a lot of money in extra repairs. How do I know I am getting good fuel? Are there certain brands I should try to get?

Also, should I be looking at more regular fuel filter changes then recommended?

Anything else I should consider when making fuel choices?

Keep in mind I am Canadian, and we have harsh winters.

Regards. :-)

The fuel filter in the 2IS is not a normal service part, you don't ever need to replace it unless there's a problem.

As to brand of fuel, marketing BS aside, and everyone has some anecdotal story about "I used brand X and my car exploded!" but I've yet to see a single bit of evidence of any measurable difference between any major brand of fuel of the same octane.

Not sure on the regs in Canada, here in the US all octane of a given grade has to meet the same minimum requirements for detergency and other additives.
Old 09-01-12, 10:27 AM
neilr11
Driver School Candidate

Some fuels have more detergents (Shell, BP, etc) than the bargain brands. All have to meet a minimum standard
Old 09-01-12, 11:23 AM
Nilism
Rookie

I live in Edmonton... we actually refine a huge amount of fuel for western Canada, and I'm assuming the states. I know our diesel here is a better quality then in the states. Not sure about premium gasoline though.

I take it the fuel filter is just water/particulate filter? condensation

Basically it's probably safe to assume that buying fuel in Canada you are good to go? I.could see Mexican fuel being raunchy!

What's the deal with those alcohol blended fuels like Mohawk sells? Condensation isn't a big deal in fuel tanks anymore? When we service engines at work, always the fuel filter gets done. It's hard for me to imagine not doing it.
Old 09-01-12, 11:29 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

They probably don't come out and say it, but they're recommending top tier fuels.
Old 09-01-12, 11:51 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gville350
They probably don't come out and say it, but they're recommending top tier fuels.
That would be that marketing BS I was talking about

Not that there's anything wrong with the top tier brands that have paid to have their name listed... but I've seen nothing, ever, to suggest there's any reason I'll get better fuel from, say, "Aloha Petroleum" which is on the list... and BP, which isn't.
Old 09-01-12, 12:30 PM
Nilism
Rookie

Fair enough. I almost always buy from shell out petro can anyway.

Who's fuel does Safeway carry? There aren't really more then a handful of refiners.
Old 09-01-12, 02:02 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone in my family, including myself, always fill either Chevron, Shell or Mobil. Mostly Shell. Never had any fuel systems issues in any of the cars we've ever got so we just stick to it.
Old 09-01-12, 03:23 PM
Nilism
Rookie

Does anyone keep detailed fuel logs here as part of their maintenance records?

I think I've had bad fuel a couple times in my life... car sputtered and chewed it's way through the tank. I'd top up half way with premium when that happened.

Anyone ever bother sending fuel out for testing? Who actually verifies water content, octane content, detergent content at the pumps?
Old 09-01-12, 04:59 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I've owned a buncha cars over quite a few years, as has most of my family, and we've never paid the slightest attention to what brand the gas was (apart from avoiding Jim Bobs Smiley Brand gas type places with NO brand name at all)... and never had a fuel problem ever.

Generally even if you do get a tank of bad gas, it's because that station had an issue (usually a leak in a tank letting water in or something) not because that brand of gas is "bad"

I can buy somebody in maybe a 3rd world country having these kinda problems regularly, but in the US (and Canada, and Europe at least) all gas has to conform to standards that mean your car will run on it just fine.
Old 09-01-12, 06:36 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I with Kurtz on this one. I typically buy from either Sheetz or Wilco Hess because of convenience (both are near my work and my home), as well as price. I run regular to mid grade in the Honda and only premium in the Lexus. I have never EVER had a fuel related problem. I have people tell me that they got "bad gas" from time to time, but I do sincerely believe that something has gone wrong with their car, just a day or two after they bought gas. I will say that I avoid a fill up if the tanker truck is there filling the pumps. I have always been told that if there is any dirt or sediment in the tanks, the refilling of the tanks can stir that up. Other than that, I have no issues with fuel.
Old 09-01-12, 08:19 PM
Nilism
Rookie

Fair enough.

Slammer, I am pretty sure pumps have particulate filters on them... I can't imagine them not!