IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Looking to Buy a IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 08:14 AM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is an option with getting a set of snow wheels and tires but i want to avoid that if i can. And again AWD has the better grib that im looking for. But everyone is tell me to get the sway bar which ill have to get now if its that big of a difference
Old 09-13-12, 08:40 AM
snaggle
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mss354
That is an option with getting a set of snow wheels and tires but i want to avoid that if i can. And again AWD has the better grib that im looking for. But everyone is tell me to get the sway bar which ill have to get now if its that big of a difference
The sway bar makes a BIG difference in handling. Get that and you will be good. Go for the IS!
Old 09-13-12, 09:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

RWD with snow tires will significantly outhandle AWD with all-season tires and be significantly safer (in the snow that is)

The only time AWD wins in the above scenario is if you need to climb very steep (>10% grade) hills... for things you care about in normal driving like stopping distance, lateral/emergency handling, etc... RWD with snows beats AWD with all seasons.

Tires>drivetrain.
Old 09-13-12, 10:10 AM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

I did not know that. Its just where I do alot of my dailydriving is hilly, twisty, and narrow roads. Just want to have that safe mind of the tail not kicking out or sliding out on me.
Old 09-13-12, 10:17 AM
Toronto350
Driver School Candidate

I see, the handling is BIG for me. I drive on so twisty roads and I do like to drive quickly. As long as it is close to the BMW's handling then i just may be sold on the Lexus.
You could always upgrade to F sport springs / struts / sways to make the suspension somewhat comparable to the 335.

But if the roads around you are bad (like they are around me) you can just do the sways and enjoy the very comfortable stock suspension.
Old 09-13-12, 10:48 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Its actually Quite simple, it all comes down to what you are looking for, Ive driven both and all I can say is ;

The 335 is definitely faster, and definitely handles MUCH better then the IS, The suspension is firm and theres alot more room in terms of tuning, You get the signature BMQ Steering feel, and you get the power you may be searching for.

The IS350 definitely is more luxerious inside, Is definitely slower then the 335, (Yes we are talking stock) and the steering is very light.The suspension is soft without the aftermarket upgrades and Tuning is EXTREMELY limited to boltons,

If you are looking for a more power then luxary then the 335 is for you,
IF you are looking for more luxary then power, then the IS350 is for you,

Both of them are AWD, Both of them are over 300HP, Both of them have their respective issues,

However, Hands Down The IS350 definitely more reliable then the 335 will ever be.

But LIKE I SAID, its up to you, DO you favor POWER or do you favor Luxary + reliability?
Old 09-13-12, 11:09 AM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

^ I haven't driven the IS350 so i cant say how it drives but u have driven the 335 and the steering was firm and handled well, but i cant really compare it to the 350 and its power. Im sure the Power is MUCH more different from the 350 to the 335. And not to be picky but i really what Power and Reliability together. From what people have told me yes the 335 is a little my powerful but not by much to make a different really.
Old 09-13-12, 11:27 AM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by Icy350
Its actually Quite simple, it all comes down to what you are looking for, Ive driven both and all I can say is ;

The 335 is definitely faster, and definitely handles MUCH better then the IS, The suspension is firm and theres alot more room in terms of tuning, You get the signature BMQ Steering feel, and you get the power you may be searching for.

The IS350 definitely is more luxerious inside, Is definitely slower then the 335, (Yes we are talking stock) and the steering is very light.The suspension is soft without the aftermarket upgrades and Tuning is EXTREMELY limited to boltons,

If you are looking for a more power then luxary then the 335 is for you,
IF you are looking for more luxary then power, then the IS350 is for you,

Both of them are AWD, Both of them are over 300HP, Both of them have their respective issues,

However, Hands Down The IS350 definitely more reliable then the 335 will ever be.

But LIKE I SAID, its up to you, DO you favor POWER or do you favor Luxary + reliability?
I would agree on everything you said except the power difference. The 335i really does not have ANY more power than the IS350 from 0-90 mph...

after 90mph is where the 335i will make the difference... but how many times are you gonna do 90-150mph pulls? not that often...

Plus, racing from a dig, the IS350 is quicker, the 335i always has some kind of traction problem and usually does not launch well.

I currently have both these cars, and can say the power is identical on the 2.

I also raced a 335i with my IS350 from 0-85 and won by half a car.. (BARELY)
Old 09-13-12, 11:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I did not know that. Its just where I do alot of my dailydriving is hilly, twisty, and narrow roads. Just want to have that safe mind of the tail not kicking out or sliding out on me.
Keep in mind folks drove with RWD in the snow for most of the previous century and didn't die.

AWD is a great marketing gimmick, but most people really don't need it compared to just using good tires.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...price-traction

C&D did extensive testing of RWD vs. AWD using the same car (A mercedes E320 in RWD and same car in AWD), and did the same with FWD vs. AWD using Audis. Then they cross tested with all season and snow tires- testing all possible combos.

For hill climbing, the one place AWD shined, they found all cars handled the 10 and 15% grades, but only the AWD models handled 30% grades.

Everywhere else though... well..

Straight line acceleration-
AWD helped here too, but with snow tires the RWD cars had no problems

Braking-
drivetrain doesn't help (arguably the extra weight hurts); but tires make a big difference... stopping distances are 30-40% shorter with snow tires versus all-seasons. It's a big difference, and the most important reason to use snow tires IMHO.

Handling-
here again, tires are king-
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Winter tires won again at the snow circle, providing twice the improvement in lateral grip that 4wd on stock (all season) tires could offer.... (and later in the story on the slalom-) As we found on the skidpad, winter tires again showed roughly double the dynamic handling advantage that four-wheel drive offers

Or you can just skip to their conclusion-(bold added)

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Four-wheel drive helps get cars going. When it comes time to brake or change direction on low-traction surfaces, the extra mass of the driveline becomes more of a detriment. Folks who live in hilly places that get snow may need the climbing capability of four-wheel drive. If it snows a lot in those hilly places, they should probably invest in winter tires, too. Even flat-landers who happen to have steep driveways may wish to consider a four-wheel-driver.

Almost everyone else will most likely be better served by using winter tires. Acceleration takes longer, but in an emergency, the handling behavior and improved lateral grip of two-wheel drive and winter tires -- in the slippery stuff -- are the safer bets.
Old 09-13-12, 11:43 AM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snaggle
I would agree on everything you said except the power difference. The 335i really does not have ANY more power than the IS350 from 0-90 mph...

after 90mph is where the 335i will make the difference... but how many times are you gonna do 90-150mph pulls? not that often...

Plus, racing from a dig, the IS350 is quicker, the 335i always has some kind of traction problem and usually does not launch well.

I currently have both these cars, and can say the power is identical on the 2.

I also raced a 335i with my IS350 from 0-85 and won by half a car.. (BARELY)
ok so there identical in power pretty much. And have 90 im not that worried. If the suspension is a bit firmer and better in the BMW however, I think I take the IS350 on its reliability.
Old 09-13-12, 11:48 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

ok so there identical in power pretty much. And have 90 im not that worried. If the suspension is a bit firmer and better in the BMW however, I think I take the IS350 on its reliability.
In order for your suspension to match a 335, you would have to upgrade to the Fsport accessories (Sway bar, Steering Damper, Springs and shocks) Or get Coils.

But like you said, you want power and reliability so go for the IS350, The 335 will never be as reliable as the 350.
Old 09-13-12, 11:57 AM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Keep in mind folks drove with RWD in the snow for most of the previous century and didn't die.

AWD is a great marketing gimmick, but most people really don't need it compared to just using good tires.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...price-traction

C&D did extensive testing of RWD vs. AWD using the same car (A mercedes E320 in RWD and same car in AWD), and did the same with FWD vs. AWD using Audis. Then they cross tested with all season and snow tires- testing all possible combos.

For hill climbing, the one place AWD shined, they found all cars handled the 10 and 15% grades, but only the AWD models handled 30% grades.

Everywhere else though... well..

Straight line acceleration-
AWD helped here too, but with snow tires the RWD cars had no problems

Braking-
drivetrain doesn't help (arguably the extra weight hurts); but tires make a big difference... stopping distances are 30-40% shorter with snow tires versus all-seasons. It's a big difference, and the most important reason to use snow tires IMHO.

Handling-
here again, tires are king-

Or you can just skip to their conclusion-(bold added)
That has me thinking now about throwing RWD in my search, I've had bad experince in RWD in my 85 celica supra. Although the i would need to buy an extra set of wheels and tires. And I just saw that the F-sport package is only in RWD and i found one for 36k with 30,000 miles. So I going to aim for that.
Old 09-13-12, 12:30 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Can you detail the experience?
Old 09-13-12, 12:40 PM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
^
Can you detail the experience?
Well in a nut shell, if it wasnt dry weather, the handling on the car was not good. You could go no more than 30 in a turn or else its super tail happy. I would fish out on my a hand full of times. not this was a project car and has alot of rust and has over 200k. and tires were in fair condition. Im not saying I never drive a RWD besides this car in non dry weather, just my celica was a pain. I'm just on the AWD because I drove a friends Legacy and loved it (drove an STI to and loved it too)
Old 09-13-12, 12:44 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

RWD will also sit a bit lower than AWD, and if you plan to go any lower, you won't run into the vibration issues that some of the AWD cars have run into.

**edit: Not sure if the vibration issues are applicable to the 350

Last edited by sm1ke; 09-13-12 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy a IS350