Looking to Buy a IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 12:18 PM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking to Buy a IS350

hey everyone,

Im looking to buy a used IS350 in a few months and im a bit stuck. I keep hearing about audi and bmw is a better choice to go with. Im looking to have a car to be a daily driver (drive about 35 miles a day to work) and a sporty luxury car on the weekend. I want a 4WD with some power to play with. I do drive alot just to drive around for the hell of it so I want comfort and realibilty. The IS350 seems to fit but again i hear people tell me to go to for a bmw 355ix or a audi A4.
Old 09-12-12, 12:25 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

First off you should understand that we are all biased =)

The IS350 is going to have the best reliability out of the 3, with minor maintenance needed and maby a new water pump.

The 335 is slightly faster in a straight line and around the track stock but the 350 gives it a huge run for its money. All about the driver.

The saying around here goes i'll race your 335i and when you break down i won't stop to pick you up =P

Last edited by Hoac; 09-12-12 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 12:31 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand between the Lexus and the BMW yes but cross off the Audi...unless your going RS4 which i dont think is even worth that price tag on it....

Reliability is going to be Lexus all the way, speed wise the BMW might have a slight edge if any at all, Interior is lexus all the way, looks Lexus, Turn heads is even, Looks better with a nice set of offset wheels LEXUS, so there you go LEXUS...this is as un biased as i can be
Old 09-12-12, 12:33 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Are you looking to purchase brand new? I believe the 350 is available new in an AWD version.

Just so you know, there have been a host of previous Audi/BMW owners that moved over to a 2IS without regrets. But there have been others that have moved away saying the Lexus 2IS model lacks in the aftermarket performance and suspension realm...which is true to an extent. But since you are looking for a reliable DD and fun weekend car, look no further! The 350 you WILL enjoy no doubt!
Old 09-12-12, 12:42 PM
Machog
Driver

Just traded my BMW 3 series for an IS.

BMW had 60k miles on it and it had a ton of issues, mainly electrical, but a few mechanical as well. It really depends on how long you keep your cars.

My BMW started to disintegrate about 12 months after the warranty ran out.

My previous Lexi have been flawless as is my current Honda Ridgeline.

BMW is a totally different animal, rides like a go cart, goes round corners on rails and is fast. Lex is much smoother, more comfortable, quieter, easier to get in and out of. Still quick, but not as crisp an experience.

My buddies with higher mileage Audi's, over 40-50k, have the same complaints as the BMW.

For me there are very few similarities when it comes to the driving experience. Drive both and it should be an easy decision. If you are into speed, track days, don't keep your cars much beyond 40k, BMW. Any other preferences, Lex all the way.

Machog
Old 09-12-12, 12:48 PM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

Ok all good points! Audi is high on price, and BMW's parts prices arent cheap. Now because Lexus isnt high in aftermarket part and mods, the F sport accessories worth it, I would like to keep it close to factory as possible. All i'd add are wheels, intake, springs, and exhaust
Old 09-12-12, 01:31 PM
snaggle
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoever said the Audi, or especially BMW is more reliable than the IS350 is completely mistaken.

I have both the 335i coupe and the IS350. Their power from 0-80 mph is almost identical. I actually raced a 335i with my IS350 from 0-80 and won by half a car...

The handling and steering feel on the 335i however is superior. It also feels more sporty than the IS350.

As for comfort and reliability, by a LONG shot does the IS350 win. If i were to sit in my 335 for too long, I would start to get uncomfortable, the seats are hard leather without those nice holes the lexus have.. The seats in the IS350 are just amazing for both comfort and sportiness. Not to mention the suspension too, much more comfortable on the IS compared to the 335... which is why the 335i handles better though..

Also, while people might tell you the IS350 has water pump issue... thats nothing really. its a 1 time replacement... also that is NOTHING compared to the fuel pump issues 90% of 335is have... which mine also had , and had to be replaced 3 times. The 335i also overheats very quickly.

Anyways, from your description given, i would 100% no doubt go for the IS350, its fits your description of what you want like a glove.

Last edited by snaggle; 09-12-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 01:40 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Apparently you can squeeze a lot of extra power from the 335i with just a JB4 tune. However, I've heard 335i owners complain much more often about things breaking on their cars. When I was shopping for a new car, I was looking first for a 335i, then decided on a C230, then ended up going with the IS250. I have to say I think I made the right decision for me.
Old 09-12-12, 01:43 PM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

I see, the handling is BIG for me. I drive on so twisty roads and I do like to drive quickly. As long as it is close to the BMW's handling then i just may be sold on the Lexus.
Old 09-12-12, 01:46 PM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

Thats were it seems like, the BMW's just cant be toughed on mods or else the problems come sooner than later
Old 09-12-12, 02:36 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

why dont you go test drive one first?

you may also consider getting a 350AWD....
Old 09-13-12, 05:16 AM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

thats what im going to do. And thats what im liking for is the IS350 AWD
Old 09-13-12, 05:54 AM
x2lacrosse
Driver School Candidate

Can't comment on the German performance, but I've heard nothing but bad things when it comes to reliability. IMO, it's not worth having a fun car to drive if spends as much time in the shop as on the road.

I recently went from a little DC5S to a 350 on the BASE suspension and it's been quite a transition in all areas. What kind of car are you coming from?
I also have a nice back road on my commute and I can tell you that the IS feels pretty soft when you first lean into a turn, but jump on the throttle and the RWD will push you thru the corners and as you get further into the suspension travel, it tightens up decently. The summer tires also help as well. If you're going to go IS, I'd suggest you try your best to find one w/ the OEM sport suspension and then upgrade to the F-sport Sways. You can always do coils if that still isn't tight enough for you.

If you're looking for AWD, they just started going that config in 2011 for the 350.
Old 09-13-12, 06:19 AM
mss354
Driver School Candidate

i see. Yea AWD is deff for me. I live in the Philly area so snow is a problem for me, but i would love to have a car with good grib. if the F-sport suspension make that big of a diffence and is worth it then ill have to add it to my list of add ons.
Old 09-13-12, 07:55 AM
x2lacrosse
Driver School Candidate

I live in the DC area, so I've been doing quite a bit of research on the 350 and winter conditions. If you get the RWD version, you should be ok if you get a 2nd set of wheels w/ snow tires on them. Plus, you have to use some sense when driving too. I've read that most people are ok when they have snow tires on it. Don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't go out in anything more than 6" of snow or anything, but it sounds like snow tires turn it from useless to useable.

As for suspension, there are (3) OEM setups; base suspension, sport suspension and then the F-sport suspension. There are a few after-market choices as well. Check out the suspension sticky to get some more info:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...d-for-2is.html

If you don't plan on track time/auto-x and just want a fun car on back roads, then you should be ok w/ a 350 w/ the Sport package (thus the upgraded sport suspension; stiffer front AND rear springs/shocks and about 4 mm lower front) and upgrading to f-sport front and rear sway bars. If you're short on cash, then do the rear sway only.

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy a IS350