IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-12, 11:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Can someone post the letter? Thanks!
You don't need to have a letter. If you have the misfire issue, just bring it in. My car frequently felt like it was going to stall when I stopped at a light. SA said this is especially true if you just came off the highway. Also, excessive burning of oil is an indication. They should be able to check your car to see if there are any misfire codes recorded in the system, even if they can't replicate the problem.
Old 11-10-12, 03:19 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You don't need to have a letter. If you have the misfire issue, just bring it in. My car frequently felt like it was going to stall when I stopped at a light. SA said this is especially true if you just came off the highway. Also, excessive burning of oil is an indication. They should be able to check your car to see if there are any misfire codes recorded in the system, even if they can't replicate the problem.
Yeah, I just wanted to have it as proof since the dealership around me likes to play dumb. Sadly I've noticed my RPMs have been dropping, but not to the degree where they'll ok the fix
Old 11-12-12, 07:52 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I called my dealer, service guy left a message and never receive a phone call back, maybe its because it was the weekend. Anyway I left a message about having the check engine light vsc and traction light on and car was idling roughly last week due to the carbon buildup. My local shop said it was a misfiring code on my dashboard, but right after I leave the message I go into my car and all the lights are off and I called my shop to ask if the dealer can still get the misfiring code, and he said no once its gone its gone? Anyway now my car is back to somewhat normal should I call the dealership again this coming week since I haven't receive a respond yet, but even if I go there my code from my dashboard is gone now.

My shop said after a cycle of no issue your check engine light will automatically go off. Can someone chime in on my situation here? Thanks
Old 11-16-12, 02:23 PM
andcas7
Driver

Anyone knows if this issue could affect the later '11 and '12 models with the updated parts? If that's the case I would not plan on keeping the car past my 5 year loan period

Any input on this would be appreciated.
Old 11-16-12, 02:30 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by andcas7
Anyone knows if this issue could affect the later '11 and '12 models with the updated parts? If that's the case I would not plan on keeping the car past my 5 year loan period

Any input on this would be appreciated.
It says specifically on the letter that it only affects '06-'10 IS250's, so you're fine.
Old 11-16-12, 03:25 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrotang
It says specifically on the letter that it only affects '06-'10 IS250's, so you're fine.
Yep....I'd like to know why '11 and '12s are excluded tho.
I have the revised pistons and still had carbon build up. I'm not the only one either.
From what i've seen, nothing else major was changed between 06-10 and '11/12 models motor wise.
Old 11-18-12, 06:08 AM
wlk12
Driver School Candidate

New member who just received the CSP for my 2010. I've read all of the posts here and learned quite a bit.

The one thing I haven't seen is what approximate percentage of the "eligible" vehicles have had this problem? Is it very small or pretty much a "sure thing"? Probably mileage or model year dependent, but does anyone have any rough data on this?

Thanks
Old 11-19-12, 11:26 AM
andcas7
Driver

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Even though the letter says it doesn't apply doesn't mean that it won't happen though, unless the engine itself was dramatically changed and the updated parts are completely safe from this issue I'd like to know I won't have this issue 4-5 years from now when they create a new CSP for 11-12 models...

Reason I say is because I've seen people still having the problem after the repair, which is supposed to use the new parts. If that is the case I imagine it can happen to mine, unless those experiencing the issue didn't get the repair done properly for some reason or another? I guess it may be too soon to tell? Either way, if anyone knows for sure why it would not affect the newer 11-12 models please let me know.
Old 11-21-12, 05:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Just got my car back after the fix--12 days at the dealer. They also found a bad water pump and a bad wheel bearing, both replaced under the powertrain warranty (B-to-B is expired). About $6,000 on the Lexus tab.
Old 11-21-12, 06:53 AM
andcas7
Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Just got my car back after the fix--12 days at the dealer. They also found a bad water pump and a bad wheel bearing, both replaced under the powertrain warranty (B-to-B is expired). About $6,000 on the Lexus tab.
How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 11-21-12, 08:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by andcas7
how many miles do you have on your car?
49,500. ....
Old 11-22-12, 01:10 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wlk12
New member who just received the CSP for my 2010. I've read all of the posts here and learned quite a bit.

The one thing I haven't seen is what approximate percentage of the "eligible" vehicles have had this problem? Is it very small or pretty much a "sure thing"? Probably mileage or model year dependent, but does anyone have any rough data on this?

Thanks
Its a pretty big, amount of IS250's mine has 45,000 miles on it and its affected not enough yet to take in. I'm waiting for a check engine light to come on and it take a **** until then I'm driving it with aggression. And putting gas treatments I know most people would say its a waste of money but I makes me feel better know that I'm doing something out of the norm.
Old 11-22-12, 02:37 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at 88k miles, and the other day my car threw a CEL and I lost a lot of power. Scanned with my OBD2, and iI got engine 4 misfire code. Already scheduled to bring my car into the dealer and have them take a look. My service advisor told me that the parts for the full CSP is on backorder and would take a month or so to come in, so the best they can do is a light cleaning.
Old 11-22-12, 06:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vicsis250
Its a pretty big, amount of IS250's mine has 45,000 miles on it and its affected not enough yet to take in. I'm waiting for a check engine light to come on and it take a **** until then I'm driving it with aggression. And putting gas treatments I know most people would say its a waste of money but I makes me feel better know that I'm doing something out of the norm.
I just got mine fixed, and did the Check Engine light only came on one time about 8 months ago--and it was a gas cap issue.
Old 11-29-12, 08:46 PM
danigirl88
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone, Im new here & I would like to see if anyone has a suggestion for this situation:

I have an 08' IS250, and the check engine and VSC lights both started coming on more than a year ago (with a loud backfire the first time and a significant power loss this last time) I took it to the dealer the fist time and they brushed it under the rug, saying its just carbon, "use better gas and drive it harder"...ok, so a year later and several more of these events, they have just replaced the piston rings. The service manager said that Lexus would be sending me a letter to extend my warranty but the letter never came. I called Customer Service and they stated that my car does not qualify for the CSP as it is by VIN number and my car is not included.

Killa, I notice you have had the some of the same issues, and the problem is ongoing. i feel there is a good chance this car will continue to require work, as its been really high maintenance up until this point. I think I should be given the 9 yr warranty like everyone else, right? Calls to Corporate since I have made this request have been ignored... I really don't want to sell my car but I cannot afford the expensive repairs once the warranty expires (not to mention the unreliability) I have about 500 miles left on my original factory 70,000 mile warranty...and like Road Rage Im really beginning to hate the 250 too. Any suggestions? and thanks in advance

Last edited by danigirl88; 11-29-12 at 08:52 PM. Reason: quoted wrong post, oops!

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP