IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 05:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by danigirl88
Hi Everyone, Im new here & I would like to see if anyone has a suggestion for this situation:

I have an 08' IS250, and the check engine and VSC lights both started coming on more than a year ago (with a loud backfire the first time and a significant power loss this last time) I took it to the dealer the fist time and they brushed it under the rug, saying its just carbon, "use better gas and drive it harder"...ok, so a year later and several more of these events, they have just replaced the piston rings. The service manager said that Lexus would be sending me a letter to extend my warranty but the letter never came. I called Customer Service and they stated that my car does not qualify for the CSP as it is by VIN number and my car is not included.

Killa, I notice you have had the some of the same issues, and the problem is ongoing. i feel there is a good chance this car will continue to require work, as its been really high maintenance up until this point. I think I should be given the 9 yr warranty like everyone else, right? Calls to Corporate since I have made this request have been ignored... I really don't want to sell my car but I cannot afford the expensive repairs once the warranty expires (not to mention the unreliability) I have about 500 miles left on my original factory 70,000 mile warranty...and like Road Rage Im really beginning to hate the 250 too. Any suggestions? and thanks in advance
Use better gas? What the heck does that mean? What is "better" gas???

If you didn't get the letter, but your car IS in fact included, it would show it on the lexus.com owner's page, if you register your car. I just got the work done under the warranty--my car *never* backfired.
Old 11-30-12, 11:15 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My check engine light came on last night and I can finally bring it into the dealer to have them check it out for carbon build-up. Hopefully that's the issue and I get a smooth ride again.
Old 11-30-12, 12:46 PM
danigirl88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Originally Posted by tex2670
Use better gas? What the heck does that mean? What is "better" gas???

If you didn't get the letter, but your car IS in fact included, it would show it on the lexus.com owner's page, if you register your car. I just got the work done under the warranty--my car *never* backfired.
Yes, thats what the service manager said," use the highest grade of gas" (I had been using medium grade) and "drive it faster"...does that sounds like BS to you?

And no, I have not received the letter, additionally (and thank you), I did check on lexus.com and saw the "no service or recalls note" there. I had the engine work done on my original 70K power train warranty--I have only 5K left though, see my dilemma???

Lexus corporate is telling me that they will review any additional issues on an "out of warranty basis". In asking for an explanation of why the f*#@! my car is not included in the CSP for IS250's that extends the warranty, they are dodging my questions, passing the buck and not returning my phone calls.

My feeling is that I should start writing letters and researching other recourse. The message implied is that we no longer stand behind the car....and thats just WRONG; my car is only 4 years old and I cannot really afford to take a hit right now in selling it and buying another one. This is not my fault, this is a design flaw. I will continue to update the post as this unfolds. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 11-30-12, 12:51 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, thats what the service manager said," use the highest grade of gas" (I had been using medium grade) and "drive it faster"...does that sounds like BS to you?

And no, I have not received the letter, additionally (and thank you), I did check on lexus.com and saw the "no service or recalls note" there. I had the engine work done on my original 70K power train warranty--I have only 5K left though, see my dilemma???

Lexus corporate is telling me that they will review any additional issues on an "out of warranty basis". In asking for an explanation of why the f*#@! my car is not included in the CSP for IS250's that extends the warranty, they are dodging my questions, passing the buck and not returning my phone calls.

My feeling is that I should start writing letters and researching other recourse. The message implied is that we no longer stand behind the car....and thats just WRONG; my car is only 4 years old and I cannot really afford to take a hit right now in selling it and buying another one. This is not my fault, this is a design flaw. I will continue to update the post as this unfolds. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
You said your car was a 2008? In that case it should be covered.

Your car isn't a salvaged/rebuilt title car is it?
Old 11-30-12, 01:01 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Our cars are required to use premium gas of 91 octane or better otherwise there will be engine knock. Unfortunately some dealers will use that excuse against you. My suggestion is take the car to another Lexus dealer and tell them your situation. If all else fails, call Lexus Corps and let them know the situation. Hopefully you'll get everything sorted out.

The is250 has this flaw, but doesn't make it a terrible car. Other makes that uses direct injection technology has the same issue (such as some Audis and Mercedes).

Good luck.
Old 11-30-12, 01:12 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

The "driving it faster" part is somewhat true in that it would slow the rate of carbon build-up. However, I don't think that's a good excuse for the dealer to use to decline your request. Try calling Lexus corporate again or, like other members have suggested, go to a different Lexus dealer.
Old 11-30-12, 02:31 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Just dropped off my car at the dealer and they loaned me an ES. Wow, is it a smooth ride, except for when making turns it feels like a boat.
Old 11-30-12, 05:10 PM
isbbq
Driver

didn't receive letter....got my 07is pistons replaced 6 month ago by longo...but still rough idling once in a while

Last edited by isbbq; 11-30-12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 06:05 PM
danigirl88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your note, Killa, & I purchased the car brand new (and paid cash) in Nov. 08' but the "in service date" is Oct. 07' never salvaged or rebuilt, I am the one and only owner. It has 65K miles on it.

I have it serviced as recommended by Lexus by a Japanese mechanic that specializes in Japanese cars, which has been the oil changes and brakes/rotors. Lexus has done all of the other services and recalls.

I demanded a call back from customer service today, (and got one) to discuss why my car will not be covered under the CSP. The concern communicated to me was that if the car had 300,000 miles on it, and it experienced engine problems, Lexus would be responsible... .amongst others, but this was really the only reasonable explanation I got. The customer service rep suggested I keep all of my service records and if there is a problem in the future, again it will be reviewed on an "out of warranty basis". I feel like I'm livin' on the edge....
Old 11-30-12, 06:31 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for your note, Killa, & I purchased the car brand new (and paid cash) in Nov. 08' but the "in service date" is Oct. 07' never salvaged or rebuilt, I am the one and only owner. It has 65K miles on it.

I have it serviced as recommended by Lexus by a Japanese mechanic that specializes in Japanese cars, which has been the oil changes and brakes/rotors. Lexus has done all of the other services and recalls.

I demanded a call back from customer service today, (and got one) to discuss why my car will not be covered under the CSP. The concern communicated to me was that if the car had 300,000 miles on it, and it experienced engine problems, Lexus would be responsible... .amongst others, but this was really the only reasonable explanation I got. The customer service rep suggested I keep all of my service records and if there is a problem in the future, again it will be reviewed on an "out of warranty basis". I feel like I'm livin' on the edge....
I don't see why your car should not be covered then. I'm trying to find the letter so i can check the wording and post it here too, but from what I remember reading, it sounded like all 08's were covered.
Old 11-30-12, 09:22 PM
danigirl88
Driver School Candidate

Default IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Originally Posted by isbbq
didn't receive letter....got my 07is pistons replaced 6 month ago by longo...but still rough idling once in a while
What do you think, IS BBQ? you say "rough idling" is that the carbon buildup again? so does this continue to indicate/cause damage to/with the piston rings, cylinders, or block, or whatever? Geeze I am NOT a mechanic and didn't think I had to be. My sister has the model that Lexus made before the 250, no problems whatsoever!!!

Again, note to any interested parties (especially those of us excluded form the CSP) I will continue to pursue this through Lexus and post updates.
Old 12-01-12, 09:01 AM
chowsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NSGxLEX
Got approved by Lexus for the CSP. Longo said they will order the parts and that it will be a month or so because there is a waiting list and the parts are on back order. lol
I too have my parts on order from Lexus. took it in about 3 or so weeks ago.
Old 12-05-12, 05:29 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

maybe you guys can help - i dropped my car off for routine service and mentioned rough idling (i've previously had a top-engine clean), the SA calls back today and says that the engine rebuild has been approved, ostensibly by lexus corporate, after diagnostic testing and they will order the parts which will arrive in a few months.

i am concerned about the few months bit. why would the parts take so long to arrive? am i being given the run-around? what should i ask for when i pick up the car tomorrow? something in writing?

thanks!!

edit: after back-reading a few pages it seems as though some of you guys also are waiting months for the parts. a waiting list? are that many cars affected? disconcerting, to say the least.
Old 12-05-12, 05:57 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by djcoronel
maybe you guys can help - i dropped my car off for routine service and mentioned rough idling (i've previously had a top-engine clean), the SA calls back today and says that the engine rebuild has been approved, ostensibly by lexus corporate, after diagnostic testing and they will order the parts which will arrive in a few months.

i am concerned about the few months bit. why would the parts take so long to arrive? am i being given the run-around? what should i ask for when i pick up the car tomorrow? something in writing?

thanks!!

edit: after back-reading a few pages it seems as though some of you guys also are waiting months for the parts. a waiting list? are that many cars affected? disconcerting, to say the least.
Well now that these CSP letters have probably been received by most affected owners, i'm sure Lexus dealerships are seeing a good number of cars coming in for the issue and requiring the new pistons. So i wouldn't doubt that the wait time for all the parts would be months. Especially here in CA where a lot of people own 250's.
Old 12-05-12, 06:08 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Well now that these CSP letters have probably been received by most affected owners, i'm sure Lexus dealerships are seeing a good number of cars coming in for the issue and requiring the new pistons. So i wouldn't doubt that the wait time for all the parts would be months. Especially here in CA where a lot of people own 250's.
thanks for the answer! i really don't hope that it takes several months for the parts the arrive - another annoyance to deal with.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP