IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 06:42 AM
imonmymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Story

All –

I've been lurking here and reading a lot of the material posted/discussed for the past couple of days. So I decided to post the details of my experience thus far.

To start, I have yet to receive a letter but from what I'm reading, it's only gone out to the '06 model owners thus far (I have an '08). However, until a few days ago, I was unaware this was even an issue beyond my own personal experience. Since I've owned the car, my wife and I have noticed rough "hiccups" at idle (mainly at stop lights, etc.). The issue was sporadic and happened intermittently enough for us to disregard it for 4+ years.

Oddly enough, over the weekend I paid off the vehicle. When I went to start the car (from a cold start) on Wednesday morning prior to heading to work, the car shuddered (violently) in the garage, the check engine light came on and CHECK VSC was displayed on the dash. Obviously, I quickly checked the web (from my phone) for the issue and determined that the car may have misfired. So I restarted the car and everything appeared normal (no warning lights, no misfires).

At the moment, I'm 700 miles away from the end of my 70,000 power train warranty. So unaware of the CSR, I brought the car into the dealer and let them know what happened. They immediately told me this is a known issue and that they'd need to run several diagnostic tests on the vehicle to determine if they can fix/cover the repairs that may be necessary. For those of you who mentioned them quoting you a diagnostic fee, they did the same to me. However, I figured this was worth having them look into a potentially larger issue.

The car has now been in their possession for 3 days. They let me know that they confirmed the vehicle has misfired and now have to take pictures of the pistons to send to corporate for further instruction. Right now, that's where we stand.

The rumors of parts being back ordered appear true, the dealer mentioned that if the repairs are performed, that there'd be a 1-2 month wait given the lack of part availability. An additional nugget I thought worth mentioning – the SA mentioned there were 6 other vehicles in the shop with the same issue at the moment. Granted, I live near a highly trafficked dealership outside Washington, D.C.

I've watched the video on YouTube that shows the amount of work that's done to the car. One poster mentioned it's almost like open heart surgery. I'd have to agree – I'm not a mechanic but it appears to be a MAJOR service to the vehicle. My only hope is that if approved, they are able to give her back to me with no additional complications.

Will keep you posted as I learn more.

Last edited by imonmymac; 01-04-13 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 01:03 PM
dkha
Driver School Candidate

I was just about to purchase an is250 until i came to this thread, was wondering how common is this problem? is every IS bound to have this problem? Also, how common is this in Canada? thanks
Old 01-04-13, 01:11 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just got my car back from the dealer; they said I need to wait 5 weeks for the parts to arrive. But they did the top engine clean and changed my oil twice as a temporary fix until the pistons come in. My car definitely has a smoother idle and more responsive throttle.
Old 01-04-13, 01:21 PM
ScottI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dkha
I was just about to purchase an is250 until i came to this thread, was wondering how common is this problem? is every IS bound to have this problem? Also, how common is this in Canada? thanks
I bought a 2010 with 14k a couple weeks ago and would not have if I had read this thread. I have 60 days to trade back with full credit. I might be looking at the is350's since they don't have this problem.
Old 01-04-13, 01:23 PM
dkha
Driver School Candidate

just read through the thread, i think i will not purchase an IS now sadly
Old 01-04-13, 02:17 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dkha
just read through the thread, i think i will not purchase an IS now sadly
Why not? Its still a really nice car, if the carbon issue bothers you, pick up a 350 instead.
Old 01-04-13, 03:18 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E36Andy
Ya its still under warranty...
Ok the reason I asked because I was thinking maybe your dealer didn't want to repair your vehicle because your vehicle wasn't any longer under warranty. But with this problem it doesn't matter from reading everyone's posts.

I was thinking that my dealer was so quick to repair my vehicle because my vehicle has an extended warranty, and they wanted to repair my vehicle using my extended warranty to pay for the repair. After asking my SA about it, he said that the manufacturer would be covering the cost and that they wouldn't be applying that repair to my extended warranty. I still have until 2016 when my extended warranty expires.
Old 01-04-13, 05:03 PM
dmk720
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not wait until the end of 9 years?We have nothing to gain if we do it wright away.I rather have "newer engine" starting after 9 years.I'm more pissed of how rusty my exhaust is .
Old 01-05-13, 03:47 AM
psychodad
Driver School Candidate

Hi

Im from europe, and i never read about this carbon build up problem in our forums. I cant say we dont have this problem here, but i think it happens to just one car of a thousand.

And there is no IS350 here, we just have 250
Old 01-05-13, 10:58 AM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmk720
Why not wait until the end of 9 years?We have nothing to gain if we do it wright away.I rather have "newer engine" starting after 9 years.I'm more pissed of how rusty my exhaust is .
You are right. When I drove my Ford Explorer and Ford was recalling the Bridgestone Tires, I waited until my tires need to be changed and took them to the dealer to get the new replacement tires.
Old 01-05-13, 11:00 AM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imonmymac
All –

I've been lurking here and reading a lot of the material posted/discussed for the past couple of days. So I decided to post the details of my experience thus far.

To start, I have yet to receive a letter but from what I'm reading, it's only gone out to the '06 model owners thus far (I have an '08). However, until a few days ago, I was unaware this was even an issue beyond my own personal experience. Since I've owned the car, my wife and I have noticed rough "hiccups" at idle (mainly at stop lights, etc.). The issue was sporadic and happened intermittently enough for us to disregard it for 4+ years.

Oddly enough, over the weekend I paid off the vehicle. When I went to start the car (from a cold start) on Wednesday morning prior to heading to work, the car shuddered (violently) in the garage, the check engine light came on and CHECK VSC was displayed on the dash. Obviously, I quickly checked the web (from my phone) for the issue and determined that the car may have misfired. So I restarted the car and everything appeared normal (no warning lights, no misfires).

At the moment, I'm 700 miles away from the end of my 70,000 power train warranty. So unaware of the CSR, I brought the car into the dealer and let them know what happened. They immediately told me this is a known issue and that they'd need to run several diagnostic tests on the vehicle to determine if they can fix/cover the repairs that may be necessary. For those of you who mentioned them quoting you a diagnostic fee, they did the same to me. However, I figured this was worth having them look into a potentially larger issue.

The car has now been in their possession for 3 days. They let me know that they confirmed the vehicle has misfired and now have to take pictures of the pistons to send to corporate for further instruction. Right now, that's where we stand.

The rumors of parts being back ordered appear true, the dealer mentioned that if the repairs are performed, that there'd be a 1-2 month wait given the lack of part availability. An additional nugget I thought worth mentioning – the SA mentioned there were 6 other vehicles in the shop with the same issue at the moment. Granted, I live near a highly trafficked dealership outside Washington, D.C.

I've watched the video on YouTube that shows the amount of work that's done to the car. One poster mentioned it's almost like open heart surgery. I'd have to agree – I'm not a mechanic but it appears to be a MAJOR service to the vehicle. My only hope is that if approved, they are able to give her back to me with no additional complications.

Will keep you posted as I learn more.
Your dealer charged you a diagnostic fee? Wow! I wasn't charged anything by my dealer to check out this problem.
Old 01-05-13, 11:49 AM
imonmymac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Antredd
Your dealer charged you a diagnostic fee? Wow! I wasn't charged anything by my dealer to check out this problem.
Applogies, I must clarify. The charge was only if there was no evidence of an issue. Since a misfire (that met their criteria) was confirmed, I shouldn't have to pay the diagnostic fee. I think they're trying to deter individuals without the problem from attempting to get it fixed. Obviously is takes time to diagnose the vehicle, I'm on my 4th day of waiting now.
Old 01-05-13, 05:41 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imonmymac
Applogies, I must clarify. The charge was only if there was no evidence of an issue. Since a misfire (that met their criteria) was confirmed, I shouldn't have to pay the diagnostic fee. I think they're trying to deter individuals without the problem from attempting to get it fixed. Obviously is takes time to diagnose the vehicle, I'm on my 4th day of waiting now.
Ok but once they check it out and find out that there is something wrong, then you will be in the driver's seat. No pun intended.
Old 01-07-13, 07:00 AM
robbierace
Driver School Candidate

We picked up up my wife's car on Saturday and they said it'll take 10-12 weeks to get the parts from Japan.Then said it'll take about 3 days for the repair once the parts arrive. He wasn't too specific on exactly what was done, but mentioned the piston rings will be replaced. I mentioned that they're probably the cause of the high oil consumption and but they're treating that as a separate issue and could be valve guides. He topped the oil off and taped the oil stick closed and a big "do not remove" sticker on the engine cover and mentioned marking the drain plug. I guess to make sure no one removes oil from the car. He said to bring the car back in 1500 miles to check the oil level. We did notice the car seems to run rougher after we picked the car up. I'm sure replacing the pistion rings will cure the oil comsumption problem...
Old 01-07-13, 10:24 AM
imonmymac
Driver School Candidate

So after 5 days with the dealer, the SA confirmed that I need the repair and that he has ordered the parts for my vehicle. I'm told it will take about 1-2 months for them to arrive and the service will take 3-5 days.

Is it ok to drive the car in the meantime? Should I get it in writing that this issue won't cause cascading problems with the vehicle? Specifically things that are not covered?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP