IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 09:24 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ewingli
I'm planning on purchasing a 2009 is250 AWD with 60,000 kms. Anyone having this issue with this year and model?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 2009 models and up already have the upgraded piston/rings.
Old 02-20-13, 09:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A couple of general questions.
My rough idle and half stalling seems to only happen during warmer months or summer time. Has this been the case for others?
I am not prepared or wanting to have my engine rebuilt at this time. If I keep having top engine cleanings, would this harm the motor in any sort of way? I do plan on having the rebuild eventually, just don't want to go that route yet.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-21-13, 05:29 AM
pro11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pro11
I’m hesitant if I should take it to the dealer or not. I have a family member who works for Toyota and yesterday afternoon he hooked it up to his computer at work and was able to confirm misfire on cylinders 1,5 (P0301 & P0305). He also advised that if they can’t duplicate the misfire they will just charge me for the diagnostic fee (around $135) and send me home.
Just Monday my car had all three lights on (check engine, VCS and Traction control) by Tuesday after noon it was gone like if nothing had happened.
Now my question is will Lexus still check out the car for this issue or will they tell me to go back when the lights are on again? Also will the misfire codes still be registered in the ECU?
Old 02-21-13, 06:51 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pro11
Just Monday my car had all three lights on (check engine, VCS and Traction control) by Tuesday after noon it was gone like if nothing had happened.
Now my question is will Lexus still check out the car for this issue or will they tell me to go back when the lights are on again? Also will the misfire codes still be registered in the ECU?
The misfire codes will be stored in the ECU. Tell them you had a rough idle and that the car was sluggish. I told them that and they did a top engine flush.
Old 02-21-13, 09:03 AM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
My rough idle and half stalling seems to only happen during warmer months or summer time. Has this been the case for others?
I am not prepared or wanting to have my engine rebuilt at this time. If I keep having top engine cleanings, would this harm the motor in any sort of way? I do plan on having the rebuild eventually, just don't want to go that route yet.
Thanks for the replies.

When I had my IS250, the rough idle happened only in summer!
Old 02-21-13, 12:38 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thanks for the replies.
For me it seems to happen regardless of what the weather is like outside. I got the shaking during cold days and hot days.
Old 02-21-13, 08:14 PM
Dova
Pole Position

Hey GravySuckR,
I did get the lights and codes to come out when they hooked up the computer but they insisted that they have to physically do it!. Now I tried doing it like they have it posted on the thread but it does not come out. I usually happens when I'm driving and I slow down or come to a stop but never when I'm parked. I've been using fuel injector cleaner and now the car hasn't misfire again, now I don't know if its the cleaner working or maybe just me not pushing the car as much as I used to. But once again, even with the codes and everything the dealer wouldn't take me in.

Originally Posted by GravySuckR
Hey Dova,
This is pretty much a direct quote from the tsib already posted on this thread by diagtime. If your car misfires, this is how you duplicate it. If it doesn't misfire when you do it, then they can't duplicate it either. They have no proof to send to Lexus for repair approval. If it's bad enough, you will feel it! Read all the quote below, if you dont have a scan tool, get the car hot first.
Old 02-22-13, 06:54 AM
GravySuckR
Driver School Candidate

I have been doing the GM top end cleans since it was pre- top end clean tsib. When it is done correctly, it works great! (until carbon deposit builds up on the pistons again. It does not clean the valves much. I have NEVER had a misifre comeback after doing the GM top end clean. Once again..IF DONE CORRECTLY. The engine needs to be HOT when the chemical is added, which means the tech needs to work fast pulling the intake air surge tank, coils and plugs while it's HOT! Then it needs to soak with the GM clean for the correct amount of time(approx 1 hour), The engine needs to be turned over then soak again(approx 1 hour). The top end cleans can no longer be done under warranty. It can only be done if you want to pay for it, instead of an engine overhaul per the warranty. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by lexudv
I need some help from the experts here. In all honesty, does a top engine clean help the situation? I mean, does it actually get rid of the carbon deposits? I know that it won't fix the underlying problem, just wondering how effective it is at removing the deposits.

My plan was to keep my car till it fell apart :-) but now I'm really starting to get concerned about this problem. I currently have 110k miles on it. My car occasionally feels like it's going to stall when I stop, especially when I do a really hard stop. MPG and performance probably has gone down a bit, but nothing that's too noticeable. I have yet to see any check engine lights. Other than this issue, this car has been flawless!

If an occasional top engine clean gets rid of the deposits, then I might be able to live with that. Otherwise, I might have to look into trading it in for an IS350. Which would suck because I still owe 7k on my car and with the mileage that it has, it's not worth that much.

Thanks for any help/input in advance!

Last edited by GravySuckR; 02-22-13 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-22-13, 07:15 AM
GravySuckR
Driver School Candidate

The fuel injection cleaner may be cleaning the pistons just enough so it wont misfire for a small amount of time. If your car has the problem, the duplication procedure diagtime posted is almost word for word the procedure your Lexus dealer is using to duplicate. If you cant duplicate the misifre, they probably cant either. This means they have no "evidence" to send Lexus about your vehicle to get the CSP approved for repair. You may need to watch a data list for misfires when you are doing the duplication. you will need some sort of scan tool other than the free generic one auto zone or pep boys uses to read your codes, good luck!

Originally Posted by Dova
Hey GravySuckR,
I did get the lights and codes to come out when they hooked up the computer but they insisted that they have to physically do it!. Now I tried doing it like they have it posted on the thread but it does not come out. I usually happens when I'm driving and I slow down or come to a stop but never when I'm parked. I've been using fuel injector cleaner and now the car hasn't misfire again, now I don't know if its the cleaner working or maybe just me not pushing the car as much as I used to. But once again, even with the codes and everything the dealer wouldn't take me in.

Last edited by GravySuckR; 02-22-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-22-13, 02:56 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try BG44. I have had good luck with it.
Old 02-23-13, 08:11 AM
jim7485
Rookie

Thanks for all the great info. Very helpful.

My car- 2007 IS 250 AWD w 156,000 miles. I have not noticed any ongoing rough idle, unless it is slightly worse over the years and minor. I'm in the car a LOT, but mostly on the highway. There's not much 'idle time' on a car that's driven 25,000+ miles per year!

The check engine light happens maybe 3-4 times per year with very rough idle, which can only be corrected by shutting the car down and restarting it.

My tank-average MPG is slightly lower over the past few months. It's typically in the mid-26 range, but now 24 to 25. I'm planning to have it tested, but wondering if the carbon build up might cause lower MPG?

In either case, I'm hoping for an engine rebuild on a car with very high milage. I'm planning to keep this gem for many years. Maybe I'll shoot for a half million miles!

Thanks

Jim
Old 02-23-13, 09:28 AM
GravySuckR
Driver School Candidate

"The check engine light happens maybe 3-4 times per year with very rough idle, which can only be corrected by shutting the car down and restarting it. "

yup. sounds familiar! have it checked out by your dealer

Originally Posted by jim7485
Thanks for all the great info. Very helpful.

My car- 2007 IS 250 AWD w 156,000 miles. I have not noticed any ongoing rough idle, unless it is slightly worse over the years and minor. I'm in the car a LOT, but mostly on the highway. There's not much 'idle time' on a car that's driven 25,000+ miles per year!

The check engine light happens maybe 3-4 times per year with very rough idle, which can only be corrected by shutting the car down and restarting it.

My tank-average MPG is slightly lower over the past few months. It's typically in the mid-26 range, but now 24 to 25. I'm planning to have it tested, but wondering if the carbon build up might cause lower MPG?

In either case, I'm hoping for an engine rebuild on a car with very high milage. I'm planning to keep this gem for many years. Maybe I'll shoot for a half million miles!

Thanks

Jim
Old 02-23-13, 09:05 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

i just took my car to the dealer for this and they weren't able to "duplicate the problem"
apparently they weren't able to see any misfire codes in the computer...

anyone know a dealer in socal that isnt going to give me that bull?
Old 02-23-13, 11:18 PM
NQR89
Driver

Originally Posted by blklexo818
i just took my car to the dealer for this and they weren't able to "duplicate the problem"
apparently they weren't able to see any misfire codes in the computer...

anyone know a dealer in socal that isnt going to give me that bull?
Which dealer did you go to?
Old 02-24-13, 02:25 AM
blklexo818
Pole Position

keyes keyes keyes, keyes on van nuys

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP