IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 12:27 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Token1
^^ Develop the carbon build up missfire asap I would suppose, then for different reasons they would have to go in there and replace the piston rings which are highly likely the reason why you are burning oil. Being an 06 with that many miles I would imagine your intake valves are pretty gunked up already and don't have much further to go.

The Scion tC 4cyl and a lot of other Toyota/Scions that have the same 4 cyl suffer greatly from this issue as well, so much so that they have an oil burning TSB out there, much like the carbon buildup TSB for the IS250. Toyota went too aggressive with the looseness of their rings in hopes of MPGs. Really sucks for us.

For my IS250 I do not plan on getting any more carbon buildup, not because there is a little less blow by with tighter rings, but used a solution a great many that have been in the DI game for longer have been using, a high quality baffled catch can. Those crappy ones on ebay 99% of the time are not baffled. Owning TS, I made a bolt-on kit using a top shelf can supplier I use for all my other can applications. Going to drive the wheels off of this IS250, looking forward to taking the intake manifold off tens of thousands of miles from now and not seeing any buildup.
Any chance you can post a DIY once you get this done? I'd be really interested in implementing this in my car.
Old 02-27-13, 02:11 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Any chance you can post a DIY once you get this done? I'd be really interested in implementing this in my car.
Might want to follow/check out his thread here..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-build-up.html
Old 02-27-13, 07:27 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Can somebody post a PDF copy of the letter?
Old 02-27-13, 07:30 PM
Jonin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to you! thank you for your info.
Old 02-27-13, 10:02 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by biiishplz
My '07 IS250 had been exhibiting symptoms of the carbon buildup VERY intermittently for several months, and for that matter, still is. It was sometimes weeks, even a month between episodes. I took him in for his 65K service at my local dealer at the end of December, and while it was there, they did the tests for the CSP, and sure enough, mine threw the misfire codes. I hadn't, and still haven't, had a CEL from any of it, though. Just goes to show you that just because yours isn't throwing a CEL doesn't mean that it won't act up enough to qualify you for the CSP.

Now, to sit on the waiting list and twiddle my thumbs...
To follow up... My SA at Lexus of Cerritos called yesterday morning to tell me that my parts had come in. They sent a brand new CT200h to swap out my car at about noon. I also told the SA about a whining I was hearing when the engine was cold. He told me it was a dying alternator bearing making the noise. I was also informed that my water pump was leaking (shocking), and also my rear main seal was leaking. I'm so thankful my extended warranty has me covered for one more year! It is troubling to have a rear main seal going out on such a relatively new car though.
Old 02-27-13, 10:23 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To follow up... My SA at Lexus of Cerritos called yesterday morning to tell me that my parts had come in. They sent a brand new CT200h to swap out my car at about noon. I also told the SA about a whining I was hearing when the engine was cold. He told me it was a dying alternator bearing making the noise. I was also informed that my water pump was leaking (shocking), and also my rear main seal was leaking. I'm so thankful my extended warranty has me covered for one more year! It is troubling to have a rear main seal going out on such a relatively new car though.
I believe a cause of the seal to leak might of been a change in oil such as synthetic to conventional, or going back and forth between the two. Although there are other factors but that's one to consider. I can see that the waterpump in our cars tend to be a problem with a lucky few being able to drag it on for a long time with no problems, I sure hope I don't have any issues with it *crosses fingers*, going on 140k miles.

Btw, how long did you have to wait for the parts to come in?
Old 02-27-13, 10:43 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Water pump is one of the things that a good number of members have had issues with as well. Mine was just replaced at 85k because the bearing was going bad.
Old 02-28-13, 09:36 AM
kevo0o
Driver School Candidate

What if I bought my is250 used a couple months ago? I dont have the letter. Can I still take my car in for csp?
Old 02-28-13, 02:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kevo0o
What if I bought my is250 used a couple months ago? I dont have the letter. Can I still take my car in for csp?
Yeah, they should be able to verify from just the VIN number if your car is included in the CSP or not. If your car is an 06-10 model year, most likely it is.
Old 02-28-13, 03:00 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Yeah, they should be able to verify from just the VIN number if your car is included in the CSP or not. If your car is an 06-10 model year, most likely it is.
06-09 are covered. Very few 10's are.

Jeff
Old 02-28-13, 04:23 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
06-09 are covered. Very few 10's are.

Jeff
Yeah that's a better way to put it actually. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 02-28-13, 08:58 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NQR89
I believe a cause of the seal to leak might of been a change in oil such as synthetic to conventional, or going back and forth between the two. Although there are other factors but that's one to consider. I can see that the waterpump in our cars tend to be a problem with a lucky few being able to drag it on for a long time with no problems, I sure hope I don't have any issues with it *crosses fingers*, going on 140k miles.

That is an interesting take on it. Maybe the original owner was sold on a "premium" oil change or two. I do plan on switching to full synthetic at 70K, as the extended drain drain intervals suit the fact that the staggered wheel/tire setup does not require tire rotations every 5K. It certainly did wonders for old Corolla, which was still running like a top at 237K, and had been switched to Mobil 1 every 15K mi at 120K.

It took 2 months and 1 week for my parts to come in. Interestingly, my SA told me that I was actually still 8th on the waiting list, but the parts that were earmarked for my car had come in ahead of the 7 in front of me. I got my baby back today, and she seems quite happy with her heart transplant.
Old 02-28-13, 10:18 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is an interesting take on it. Maybe the original owner was sold on a "premium" oil change or two. I do plan on switching to full synthetic at 70K, as the extended drain drain intervals suit the fact that the staggered wheel/tire setup does not require tire rotations every 5K. It certainly did wonders for old Corolla, which was still running like a top at 237K, and had been switched to Mobil 1 every 15K mi at 120K.

It took 2 months and 1 week for my parts to come in. Interestingly, my SA told me that I was actually still 8th on the waiting list, but the parts that were earmarked for my car had come in ahead of the 7 in front of me. I got my baby back today, and she seems quite happy with her heart transplant.
I'm glad you're happy with the repairs and hopefully everything went smoothly I spoke with my SA today and he said I'm the 21st person on the list hopefully it doesn't take that long.
Old 02-28-13, 10:41 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I'm glad you're happy with the repairs and hopefully everything went smoothly I spoke with my SA today and he said I'm the 21st person on the list hopefully it doesn't take that long.
Wow! There are 20 cars ahead of you waiting for the same repair at the same dealer?
Old 02-28-13, 10:43 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

I'm still waiting on my parts to come in. My car was diagnosed with this problem back in January. My SA told me that his dealership has had these parts on back order since November.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP