IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 09:02 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blklexo818
NQR89, who was the SA at Cerritos that helped you? Keyes and Glendale Lexus are too retarded for me to waste my time. Did your car ever throw a CEL regarding the misfire?
I believe it was me you were thinking of going to Cerritos. I know you already went to Longo now, but to answer your question, Jamie Lee is my SA, as well as the previous owner's SA. He's been nothing but helpful, and has bent over backwards to keep me happy (and at times, delighted). I wish I lived closer to Longo though, since, as a Penske employee, I would get an employee discount there. Maybe next time...
Old 03-07-13, 08:54 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqMmZJ2TBQ8 think thats a good enough reason for them to open that sucker up and see whats up w/ it?

doesnt happen all the time but when it did happen last time (few days ago) i got it on video
Whoa that's an odd/scary sound. I don't know if that's Carbon Build up related though, but something definitely needs to be checked out.

If you're taking your car to Longo, I would call up Jimmy and get his email address and send that to him before you go in. I'm sure he can show it to one of the tech's and get a quick opinion on it before you bring it in. I've done something similar in the past.
Old 03-07-13, 03:23 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

I forwarded the link to Jimmy, along with a description of whats going on with my idle

lets see what he says

thanks for your help again guys
Old 03-07-13, 05:23 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Ugh. My car is at the dealership. They replicated the misfire and are contacting Lexus to make sure they will cover the piston ring replacement. I honestly want nothing to do with this repair.

I fully expect to sell my car as soon as my Lexus extended warranty expires.
Old 03-08-13, 08:14 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The fix should alleviate the problem, and if it doesn't, you still have extended coverage regarding the misfire via the CSP which has a 9 year term, from what I gather.
Old 03-11-13, 08:11 AM
BlaznLexus
Driver School Candidate

I brought my car into Lexus of Riverside in November 2012 for several recalls and brought the CSP letter in for this issue as well. Turns out my car was affected due to misfire codes and that I would have to bring my car back once the parts have arrived. Meanwhile they performed a top engine clean and filled up my gas tank.

The top engine clean involves an oil change correct? I don't think they used synthetic either...

This past week, while I was driving on the FWY, the CHECK VSC light came on along with some other lights twice. It stays lit until the engine is restarted. Is this one of the symptoms of the carbon build up issue?

It's been 4 months now and my parts still haven't arrived. Has anyone else waited this long? I've been in touch with my service advisor and he told me the parts are still on order...
Old 03-11-13, 10:04 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlaznLexus
I brought my car into Lexus of Riverside in November 2012 for several recalls and brought the CSP letter in for this issue as well. Turns out my car was affected due to misfire codes and that I would have to bring my car back once the parts have arrived. Meanwhile they performed a top engine clean and filled up my gas tank.

The top engine clean involves an oil change correct? I don't think they used synthetic either...

This past week, while I was driving on the FWY, the CHECK VSC light came on along with some other lights twice. It stays lit until the engine is restarted. Is this one of the symptoms of the carbon build up issue?

It's been 4 months now and my parts still haven't arrived. Has anyone else waited this long? I've been in touch with my service advisor and he told me the parts are still on order...
Yeah I do believe the top engine clean required an oil change as well, and if you don't request synthetic oil or bring your own, you will get whatever oil they are using at the dealership (usually a synthetic blend).

Having the check VSC show up is one of the things that comes with the Carbon build up issue along with things like check engine light, shaking, etc. Unfortunately, that wait is probably about right. When the letters got sent out a lot of dealers got flooded with owners trying to get the repairs done. I just don't think Lexus was prepared for the number of people that would bring their cars in and actually have the issues verified because there's long waits pretty much everywhere for the same parts now. Hopefully they will get all the parts you need in soon.
Old 03-11-13, 08:28 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlaznLexus

I've been waiting since January. My SA in Escondido told me that it may be Summer before my parts arrive.
Old 03-11-13, 10:07 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqMmZJ2TBQ8 think thats a good enough reason for them to open that sucker up and see whats up w/ it?

doesnt happen all the time but when it did happen last time (few days ago) i got it on video
That sounds REALLY serious. From the video, it sounds almost like a cavitating power steering pump (i.e., when it runs out of fluid). The faint whining I'm hearing from my car also sounds almost like a power steering pump, but it was nowhere even close to yours. I seriously hope they can help you without draining your wallet though. Keep us posted!
Old 03-11-13, 10:17 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After they did the top engine cleaning I could feel that the engine idles quieter and my acceleration is smoother. Placebo effect or not, I'm happy.
Old 03-11-13, 10:33 PM
NQR89
Driver

Originally Posted by rookieIS
After they did the top engine cleaning I could feel that the engine idles quieter and my acceleration is smoother. Placebo effect or not, I'm happy.
I felt the same thing after they cleaned mine. I hope my parts come in soon
Old 03-12-13, 08:58 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Might be repetitive, but does everyone know if there are any recommended engine oil from Lexus post TSB ? I know that manufacture recommends 5W30 but i'm curious if it got changed after the engine rebuilt due to newer parts?
Old 03-12-13, 10:11 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Great info on the carbon build up. According to the TSB from Lexus it should only effect my 2006-2010. I just bought a 2012 IS-250-awd for my Wife. Anyone with a 2012 have this issue?(it's probably too soon to tell).
Old 03-12-13, 04:14 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

If you don't know if the carbon build up is in the car, can Lexus check like the vin? Mines is an 08 is 250 with 19xxx miles. I don't want the warranty to be over and then I have problems with the carbon
Old 03-12-13, 05:10 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mililani00
If you don't know if the carbon build up is in the car, can Lexus check like the vin? Mines is an 08 is 250 with 19xxx miles. I don't want the warranty to be over and then I have problems with the carbon
If you have a 2008 IS250, it should be covered under this CSP.
You can call Lexus Corporate with your VIN number to confirm tho.

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Great info on the carbon build up. According to the TSB from Lexus it should only effect my 2006-2010. I just bought a 2012 IS-250-awd for my Wife. Anyone with a 2012 have this issue?(it's probably too soon to tell).
Unfortunately I think even the 2012 models will, eventually, suffer from the same issue. I am only saying this because even after the piston replacements were put in my car, I've had some issues with the Carbon Build Up.

Originally Posted by rookieIS
Might be repetitive, but does everyone know if there are any recommended engine oil from Lexus post TSB ? I know that manufacture recommends 5W30 but i'm curious if it got changed after the engine rebuilt due to newer parts?
Nothing changed, they still recommend the 5w30

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP