IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-13, 09:17 AM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rookieIS
i think he meant top engine cleaning.. nowhere cost $189 for rebuilding pistons
Yeah that's what I figured lol! Because it was several thousands for the repair bill for the rebuild. I just wanted to see what he would say haha.

That's correct, the 350 shouldn't have this problem and especially if you've only had it for two years. It might be something else.
Old 03-24-13, 07:26 PM
jujujexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmoney21
Any Canadians hear anything about a TSB or extended carbon build up warranty?

my factory warranty ends in july and the problem still occurs occasionally even with the engine top clean
I've got no letter. I am experiancing really bad rough idle at a stop, but I haven't had any warning light pop up. I took it in to the dealership, they diagnosed it, said that they can't find anything, charged me $165 and sent me home! Gotta say that I am really dissatisfied with the service I got.
Old 03-26-13, 06:42 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rookieIS
i think he meant top engine cleaning.. nowhere cost $189 for rebuilding pistons
No, not the top end cleaning. That is easily over $1,000. What his SA was describing was your basic throttle body cleaning and pour in a fuel system cleaner. That equals pure profit for the dealer.
Old 04-02-13, 08:25 AM
blovely
Driver School Candidate

Default After the CSP

Originally Posted by ISMELLRICE
Mine is at 77k no warranty and just had this issue taken care of...it really only did it once but when i called my local lexus he told me to bring it in...
Replaced the water pump and spartplugs while they were there my total out the door was $350
Picked up my car at dealership after being in for 2.5 weeks with the CSP and also did the water pump and spark plugs. It was $473 out the door with replacing the water pump and spark plugs. $146.10 for spark plugs, no labor charged , but $274 for parts and labor for water pump and then some miscellaneous shop charge and tax. All in all, I'm not splitting hairs since the CSP is like having an almost new engine. They also replaced the engine bearings at no cost even though at first, Toyota Corp. would only meet me half way. So far, no check engine light on, but I am experiencing lower MPG's as well as stated by another club member. It has gone from averaging 25MPG in city/HWY 31MPG to 18-21MPG city/25MPG hwy. I know it's a high performance car, and I didn't buy it for the MPG, (I loved the body/look/reputation of Lexus as a female driver who doesn't care about speed performance), but advertisement for IS250 quantify minimum 25MPG. Just curious as to why the MPG would lessen and not be better since they are updated parts and I received a tune-up? In addition, my SA suggested that I bring the vehicle in every 20,000 miles for an injector induction service. Wondering if anyone else has experienced the lower MPG's since the CSP piston/value replacement and were advised to do injector induction service? Thanks for all of the responses, comments and suggestions! They have helped tremendously. I'm still a big fan of Lexus...this is my third vehicle; two were pre-owned; one new. Customer service is exceptional, but we are paying a premium for it. For the most part, the Lexus vehicles I've owned performed beyond expectations and have kept their resale value.
Old 04-02-13, 08:27 AM
NYG
Driver

is there any carbon build up warranty for second owner vehicles?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-02-13, 08:30 AM
blovely
Driver School Candidate

Yes, if your car shows the codes necessary for the CSP. I'm the second owner of my vehicle. With the idling, misfires and the engine completing shutting down while driving, the codes came up for the techs and the CSP was applied for my 2007 IS250 with 78,000 miles.
Old 04-02-13, 08:35 AM
blovely
Driver School Candidate

Interestingly, anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been reading that the ethanol content, even the little there is in the higher octane gas, is causing complications with certain fuel system parts in some IS 250's. I'm not a mechanic and know little about engines, so I'm not sure if this is part of the complications with the pistons/valves and carbon build-up associated with the CSP. Look back on further threads for the year ranges of the IS 250's that have been identified.
Old 04-02-13, 09:50 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYG

As long as your car haven't done the recall and your car is falls under the right year / model then it doesn't matter how many different owners the car have had.
Old 04-05-13, 07:08 AM
Corbio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NYG

Make sure you register at lexus.com so that they have your contact info.
Old 04-05-13, 11:05 AM
Tonyy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased my CPO 2011 250. Did some research and couldn't find a definitive answer. It may be in this thread but I'm at work. Does this issue apply to the 2011-2012 models?

My idle and mpg seem good so far. *knock on wood*
Old 04-05-13, 11:10 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You should be fine Tonyy, the TSB is for 2006-2010 IS250/250C only. I don't think anyone with a 2011+ has experienced these issues so far, but I might be mistaken.
Old 04-05-13, 11:34 AM
Tonyy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
You should be fine Tonyy, the TSB is for 2006-2010 IS250/250C only. I don't think anyone with a 2011+ has experienced these issues so far, but I might be mistaken.
Thanks sm1ke!
Old 04-19-13, 02:51 PM
Skyfox16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, Dropped my car off at the dealer this morning to have them look at my AC since it isnt blowing very cold air (only blows around 65 degrees). Mentioned i had noticed sometimes the car almost wants to stall at a stop light maybe once every other week and mentioned i had read about the carbon buildup issue on here. Sure enough they called me later today and said they found codes for a misfire and they would be be keeping my car for about a week to fix it. The SA advisor said they have the parts in stock so they will get to work on it.

I know some people have said they pay for spark plugs and have those changed so i was going to ask about that. Is there anything else that i should try and have done as preventative maintenance while the engine is apart?
Old 04-19-13, 03:19 PM
Corbio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Skyfox16
Well, Dropped my car off at the dealer this morning to have them look at my AC since it isnt blowing very cold air (only blows around 65 degrees). Mentioned i had noticed sometimes the car almost wants to stall at a stop light maybe once every other week and mentioned i had read about the carbon buildup issue on here. Sure enough they called me later today and said they found codes for a misfire and they would be be keeping my car for about a week to fix it. The SA advisor said they have the parts in stock so they will get to work on it.

I know some people have said they pay for spark plugs and have those changed so i was going to ask about that. Is there anything else that i should try and have done as preventative maintenance while the engine is apart?
Make sure you get the water pump replaced---I had the rebuild done 4 days ago and it took them 10 days to complete the work. Total was $310 ($258 for water pump and the rest for coolant and tax). As for the plugs I had them done myself a while ago.
Old 04-19-13, 08:07 PM
Skyfox16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What milage does the waterpump tend to go out on these cars? I know before for honda/toyota it wasnt until around 105K miles that i had mine changed. Also, my car is CPO, so would it better to wait until the water pump started to leak and then have them cover it under the CPO?

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP