IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 02:07 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrotang
I just picked it up! Drives like a new car! Love it! It idles smooth with no vibration, and even shifts smoother. They had to take apart my transmission/axle since there was a leak when putting everything back together again.

I took it to Stevens Creek Lexus. My only gripe would be that there are a few light scuff marks on the driver door (probably one of the techs keys/belt rubbed against) and on the side of the hood and fender. Asked them not to wash it so I can wash it myself so I don't get swirls in my paint, but I'll take a closer look when I get home.
Glad everything went well
I can't wait to pick mine up! It'll be done this following Monday
By the way, since it is practically a "new" engine, does that mean we have the break in period like all new cars do? Meaning we can drive past 3-3.5k rpm and aggressively...etc?
Just a thought
Old 06-14-13, 03:18 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
Glad everything went well
I can't wait to pick mine up! It'll be done this following Monday
By the way, since it is practically a "new" engine, does that mean we have the break in period like all new cars do? Meaning we can drive past 3-3.5k rpm and aggressively...etc?
Just a thought
I did a little research on that here on the forums and on Google, but our cars don't have a break-in period. According to our manual, we should just drive it normally, and make sure not to maintain the same speed on the highway for long periods of time until after 500-1000 miles. Made no mention of driving it aggressively and going WOT.

When I got my car back, the car's overall mpg reading was reset and my service advisor told me that they took it for 100+ miles to run tests and make sure nothing was leaking. My dash showed me that they were averaging 20mpg, which is pretty spirited driving in my opinion. I usually average 26mpg when driving normally and 30mpg when I'm being really conservative. But just to be on the safe side, I'd keep it under 3k rpm until after the engine warms up to operating temp; I still won't go WOT for awhile though.

By the way, did you bring yours to service at Stevens Creek too? I saw an olive green IS (similar to your pic) with rims parked outside while I was waiting for my car.
Old 06-14-13, 03:47 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been dealing with this problem since I got the car 9 months ago I also did my research but I guess I didn't catch any of these so now I'm dealing with the problem its not often that if happens but it does do it just to let me know it still has a problem. My question is since its mostly a new engine that you are getting do they reset the odometer reading? I'm going to scheduled my service appointment this coming week for friday lets see if they once again can get it to misfire, also my SA told me that my water pump will also be changed because its seeping FCK if I know what that is. I'm going back to Nissan never had a problem with Z
Old 06-14-13, 03:56 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nitrotang
I did a little research on that here on the forums and on Google, but our cars don't have a break-in period. According to our manual, we should just drive it normally, and make sure not to maintain the same speed on the highway for long periods of time until after 500-1000 miles. Made no mention of driving it aggressively and going WOT.

When I got my car back, the car's overall mpg reading was reset and my service advisor told me that they took it for 100+ miles to run tests and make sure nothing was leaking. My dash showed me that they were averaging 20mpg, which is pretty spirited driving in my opinion. I usually average 26mpg when driving normally and 30mpg when I'm being really conservative. But just to be on the safe side, I'd keep it under 3k rpm until after the engine warms up to operating temp; I still won't go WOT for awhile though.

By the way, did you bring yours to service at Stevens Creek too? I saw an olive green IS (similar to your pic) with rims parked outside while I was waiting for my car.
Nope I always take my car to Longo Lexus, obviously the best dealership
They better not drive my car around to test it! I'm afraid my front bumper will be missing by then haha
I'll just drive conservatively just to be safe.
Old 06-14-13, 04:22 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vicsis250
I have been dealing with this problem since I got the car 9 months ago I also did my research but I guess I didn't catch any of these so now I'm dealing with the problem its not often that if happens but it does do it just to let me know it still has a problem. My question is since its mostly a new engine that you are getting do they reset the odometer reading? I'm going to scheduled my service appointment this coming week for friday lets see if they once again can get it to misfire, also my SA told me that my water pump will also be changed because its seeping FCK if I know what that is. I'm going back to Nissan never had a problem with Z
Nope, they won't reset your odometer. I wish! Wouldn't exactly reflect the mileage on the rest of your car, haha.
Old 06-14-13, 06:57 PM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So no one is having the occasional rough idle after a hard stop (only for a second or two) after the TSB was done? I've read of a few others having this as well. I can only think of three reasons why my used 06 has this:
1) was lied to, the TSB was not done
2) The new tightness and added friction of the rings is throwing off the DBW's "calibration" and it overshoots it's initial adjustments when coming down in speed like that, and has to rely on it's closed loop feed-back to correct, causing that brief stumble.
3) Engine wasn't put back together all that well, and maybe there is a vacuum leak somewhere causing this, but not bad enough to cause a DTC/CEL (not around 20% worth of trimming, but enough to cause a stumble).
4) Lexus says the IS250 is not part of a recall they have going on for various other models that have weak valve springs that cause very similar issues as this TSB describes- actually almost uncanny, so maybe, though a long shot, its bad metallurgy of the springs.

I'm going to take some fuel trim data logs to eliminate #3

I have a trick in mind to try and work around if its #2 and will try to verify it's effectiveness via feedback and TPS logging.

Car is going to stealership for some service, will verify while there if the TSB was done to eliminate #1

If all those are eliminated, I can only go with #4 or some other weird gremlin so typical of my luck.

Last edited by Token1; 06-14-13 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer
Old 06-18-13, 06:51 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I was about to open a poll for this but think about asking first. Is this carbon build-up only in US or it is a general recall for the IS everywhere in the world?
Old 06-18-13, 08:29 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I was about to open a poll for this but think about asking first. Is this carbon build-up only in US or it is a general recall for the IS everywhere in the world?
I think it only applies to every IS that has the 250 engine, 4GSR? I forgot what the actual engine model number is. Some 2IS models in Europe use diesel engines so I dont know if they experience the carbon build up issue
Old 06-18-13, 10:08 AM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Would this cover a 2006 250 if I am not the original owner? I just purchased my car a few weeks ago used. I have noticed that at red lights it tends to stall.
Old 06-18-13, 04:30 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Awww you guys ruined my reasons to tell my Wife that we have to trade in the 250 for a 350!
Old 06-18-13, 07:31 PM
teefar
Driver

Anybody else NOT get the letter ?
Old 06-18-13, 10:41 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by teefar
Anybody else NOT get the letter ?
You don't need the letter to bring your car in. The dealer should already know about this CSP.
Old 06-19-13, 09:54 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Just got my car back yesterday. Car feels very nice and smooth and the gears do not get stuck anymore.
I had a small problem though. While I was driving, I hear a sound that sounds like a tire scraping the fender liner. My tires have quite some space between my fender liners so I know it wasn't that. It would only appear when I accelerate from a complete stop and it comes up for 1-3 seconds between gears. At a complete stop, there was a small chirping noise (I know it's not the regular engine noise), and this only happened once though. The scraping sound happened consistently. This is in normal drive around 2k rpm. Not sure what it was but I was going to take it back to the dealer this morning. I knew that every time before you take it to the dealer, the problems always seem to go away, so I took it out for nearly an hour drive and the sound didn't come back on...
Anyhow, very happy with my car! It's getting better mileage somehow... (Maybe I'm just driving more carefully), but I'm getting 23mpg pure local at the moment. No other problems and glad I got a Lexus!
Old 06-19-13, 10:00 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
Just got my car back yesterday. Car feels very nice and smooth and the gears do not get stuck anymore.
I had a small problem though. While I was driving, I hear a sound that sounds like a tire scraping the fender liner. My tires have quite some space between my fender liners so I know it wasn't that. It would only appear when I accelerate from a complete stop and it comes up for 1-3 seconds between gears. At a complete stop, there was a small chirping noise (I know it's not the regular engine noise), and this only happened once though. The scraping sound happened consistently. This is in normal drive around 2k rpm. Not sure what it was but I was going to take it back to the dealer this morning. I knew that every time before you take it to the dealer, the problems always seem to go away, so I took it out for nearly an hour drive and the sound didn't come back on...
Anyhow, very happy with my car! It's getting better mileage somehow... (Maybe I'm just driving more carefully), but I'm getting 23mpg pure local at the moment. No other problems and glad I got a Lexus!
Another success story!
Old 06-19-13, 10:35 AM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Yeah, was driving the car today... the car feels like it wants to stop everytime I come to a stop at a light/sign. When I begin to go again, it is very slugish at first.

So, would I need to be the original owner for this to be a covered repair? Should I simply call the closest Lexus dealer and ask them?

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP