IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 07:56 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Question: Is their way the dealer can the date the first time your car misfire?

v/r
There might be a time stamp. Not sure. I suppose it would depend on the software they use.
Old 01-31-17, 10:48 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Final results from Lexus Customer service.
I was just informed Lexus has decide to pay 50% of the cost to repair my vehicle. 20 days beyond the 9 year warranty and they only want pay 50% of the bill.
As of today, at least to me. Lexus is just another car company.... Good luck to everyone with a 06 - 10 IS250. If I was you I would get rid of the car asap.
Old 01-31-17, 11:22 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Final results from Lexus Customer service.
I was just informed Lexus has decide to pay 50% of the cost to repair my vehicle. 20 days beyond the 9 year warranty and they only want pay 50% of the bill.
As of today, at least to me. Lexus is just another car company.... Good luck to everyone with a 06 - 10 IS250. If I was you I would get rid of the car asap.
PM'd mate!
Old 02-02-17, 08:23 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus Corporate offered to pay $350 of the $455 required for the intake valve cleaning. I've never had my car serviced at lexus before.
Old 03-02-17, 07:43 AM
melIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I have a 07 IS350 and I just got that check VSC light turn on yesterday. I've been skimming through a couple threads about this and I've seen some saying this isn't a problem with the 350 because it has dual injection or something like. Can I expect the same fix if I take it to the dealers? Yesterday after washing my car, I turned it on only for the idle to feel like it would die. Waited a little while and it ran normal but the little guys were still on. Drove to work this morning and it drove normally. Is this a common thing with the 07 IS350 as well? Car has about 103k miles but no spark plugs change yet. Maybe tune up needed?
Old 03-06-17, 11:24 AM
KIS350
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not Carbon build-up

melIS350,

I have virtually the same car, an '08 IS350. I have approx. 178,000 miles on mine. The IS350 has different pistons and rings. The fix for the IS250 oil blow-by is replacing the rings and pistons, for the most part. We don't have the same issue because ours is a different engine. But do run premium fuel because we still get oil burning (Carbon build-up)...most cars do to some extent. Even more in high-compression engines and it makes a huge difference in keeping the inside of your engine clean.

Now for your troubleshooting. If the car was in perfect running condition, before you washed it, I would immediately guess that it is a faulty electrical connection somewhere throughout the ignition. If your VSC came on then I would plug an ODB reader (under the steering column) and get the code that your computer is spitting out. Then you'll know exactly what seems to be the issue. I have mine on all the time for one sensor or another. I had a different car (Chrysler...ya ya I know) but it had a faulty crank sensor connection and when it got wet it wouldn't start either. If I went through a huge puddle of water it would even shut right off while I was driving. Sounds like the car wash was the culprit in your troubles beginning. So first guess would be a bad electrical connection shorting something in the ignition circuitry. And I would assume your car dried out by the time you went to work and this is why it started and ran fine.

Anyway, I would recommend you change your sparkplugs as you will for sure benefit from it and they're definitely due. I changed mine around 145k miles and found a huge improvement in performance and fuel consumption.

Plug it in to the ODB reader (Buy one for about $60 and up) or get a mechanic to check and let us know what you get. If you have time, look around and see if you see any faulty or loose wiring connections that are exposed.

Good luck...sorry for responding with an essay.
Old 03-06-17, 04:20 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Why do you conclude your Lexus IS got carbon build up without knowledge ? and your Lexus is an IS350 ? IS350 using port injection to bypass the valve therefore NO CARBON BUILDup for IS350's Engine, you only get normal build up like other regular car. KIS350 just pointed out something helpful !
Old 03-07-17, 11:14 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by melIS350
Hi guys, I have a 07 IS350 and I just got that check VSC light turn on yesterday. I've been skimming through a couple threads about this and I've seen some saying this isn't a problem with the 350 because it has dual injection or something like. Can I expect the same fix if I take it to the dealers? Yesterday after washing my car, I turned it on only for the idle to feel like it would die. Waited a little while and it ran normal but the little guys were still on. Drove to work this morning and it drove normally. Is this a common thing with the 07 IS350 as well? Car has about 103k miles but no spark plugs change yet. Maybe tune up needed?
This issue does not affect IS350's to the same extent that it does on IS250's, so it is most likely that your warning lights are not related to this issue. Lexus dealers will not fix your car without charging you to do it, as you are out of warranty.

Jeff
Old 03-20-17, 10:27 AM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
Lexus Corporate offered to pay $350 of the $455 required for the intake valve cleaning. I've never had my car serviced at lexus before.

i just pulled the trigger and let Lexus dealer handle it now my ride drives smooth mine was $527
Old 05-17-17, 10:32 AM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

So my car misfired and made some god awful clanking noise (which it has made before when it starts to misfire) and lexus wants 31hrs of labor to just do the inspection to see what is wrong with it. I am assuming this is related to the carbon build up, but they are reluctant to agree. I will attach a video, let me know if you have any thoughts.

Old 05-17-17, 09:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The above clanking sound is not related to the carbon build up. There was some recall early on with certain IS engines for making a sound like that upon start-up. But I thought the noise should go away once up and running. Not sure if it's that or not.
Old 05-18-17, 05:49 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The above clanking sound is not related to the carbon build up. There was some recall early on with certain IS engines for making a sound like that upon start-up. But I thought the noise should go away once up and running. Not sure if it's that or not.
Thanks, i'll look into it.
Old 05-22-17, 11:52 AM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

UPDATE: I just bought an IS350 - so I'm going to fix the 250 and sell it and never deal with carbon build up again.
Old 06-01-17, 06:24 PM
Mohsinbob
Driver School Candidate

Default Is250 2008 awd Canada engine oil burning

Hi guys,
​​​​​​I recently purchased a is250 2008 awd and I got a light saying low engine oil fuel check and I filled the Synthetic oil but seems to be burning out faster then it should. It has 139km on it and four recalls have been done wipers gasket fuel pressure sensor. Can Lexus fix the burning oil problem for free if I don't have warranty? Someone please help me I just bought the car last week
Old 06-03-17, 08:03 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mohsinbob
Hi guys,
​​​​​​I recently purchased a is250 2008 awd and I got a light saying low engine oil fuel check and I filled the Synthetic oil but seems to be burning out faster then it should. It has 139km on it and four recalls have been done wipers gasket fuel pressure sensor. Can Lexus fix the burning oil problem for free if I don't have warranty? Someone please help me I just bought the car last week
My 06 awd needs a top off of oil pretty frequently too. I never bothered asking, but don' tsee why the dealer would.

Last edited by ELL Y; 06-04-17 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP