Help-SRS Airbag/Seatbelt Pretension Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 06:35 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help-SRS Airbag/Seatbelt Pretension Light

Hey all,

I was adding a DVD player via the rear view camera hack and ran into a problem. I did not splice into any of the wrong wires and as my profession I am very knowledgeable on what I am doing inside a car at least lol.

I digress. A few days after my install I had my SRS Airbag/Seatbelt Pretension Light pop up steady on my instrument cluster after starting the car. I noticed that when I was working on this all I was near 4 potential airbags. The passanger seat I moved (which I never do), the knee bolster airbags on the driver and passanger sides were moved, and the passanger dash airbag. I took off the airbag holders carefully, as I have done many times in the past, but I mounted the dvd player in the glove box and the cover I left cracked open to fit wires was under the connections for the dash bag. its the only other removable part of the glovebox interior. I checked/pushed in all the connections under the pass seat and started/ran the car a few times and the light went out on it's own after a day.

Yesterday around 9pm it came up again, solid. This time I went around to all of the bags that I was near and checked for snagged wires/connections/loose wires. I know I didn't splice into any. I then reset the battery by leaving both terminals off for over half an hour. When I connected everything the light went out and I started the car a few times/ect. This morning still no light, knock on wood it stays that way.

my main question is....if that light comes back on can I use an OBDII reader from Autozone or something to read the location of the fault and the cause? like an engine code? if not how would you be able to see where the fault is and what the fault is? I assume lexus can do this but I wouldn't want them fixing anything, just telling me which one and why since the abundance of aftermarket equipment is enough for them to blame as the culprit. This happened in my saturn when I was 17 after I spliced into an airbag wire (pre-training) but my mechanic said since it was a 1997 that he wouldn't be able to tell me anything but to rip every wire out and check each inch. And that my airbags may not deploy if in an accident was the only worry.

help? and thanks, as usual, for reading my books of posts.