IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alignment Issues with Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 11:27 AM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Issues with Dealer

My wifes car (2007 IS 250 AWD) was pulling to the right, so she took it to the dealer for an alignment. I drove the car later that night, and it is now worse than we she took it in. I called the service department and asked them for a copy of the geometry, which they sent. I know how I feel about the numbers, but would like others for an opinion before I call the dealer back. Thanks all.

Old 09-17-12, 11:53 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My '06 IS250 AWD also pulls to the right. I had an alignment done at a reputable local shop and they said that that wasn't an alignment issue. Maybe it's just an AWD thing?
Old 09-17-12, 11:58 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Simply looking at the numbers, it appears the dealership doesn't have the expertise to perform an alignment. The numbers for instance in the camber between right and left should be relatively equal, if not 0.01 or 0.02 off.

It does seems like the geometry/sub frame is out so they are unable to use the things which are adjustable to get it in spec. This is where a shop which specializes in alignment need to come in so they adjust the sub frame to get it in spec, then the alignment numbers should come out properly.

You may also want to consider changing the bushings as well.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eo-inside.html
Old 09-17-12, 12:04 PM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
Simply looking at the numbers, it appears the dealership doesn't have the expertise to perform an alignment. The numbers for instance in the camber between right and left should be relatively equal, if not 0.01 or 0.02 off.

It does seems like the geometry/sub frame is out so they are unable to use the things which are adjustable to get it in spec. This is where a shop which specializes in alignment need to come in so they adjust the sub frame to get it in spec, then the alignment numbers should come out properly.

You may also want to consider changing the bushings as well.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eo-inside.html
If the sub frame is the issue I am going to blow a gasket. Car has never been in any accidents, and my wife sure does not "thrash the car", at least not like I would. The car is still under extended warranty, so is something they could address under the warranty?
Old 09-17-12, 12:14 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jah1226
If the sub frame is the issue I am going to blow a gasket. Car has never been in any accidents, and my wife sure does not "thrash the car", at least not like I would. The car is still under extended warranty, so is something they could address under the warranty?
Few questions...

Just curious, is this a 2007 AWD or 2008 RWD? The alignment saids 2008 2WD which is RWD.
Was the car new or CPO?
When was it last aligned? Ideally, alignment gets done once a year or 12K mi/ 19K Km. As alignment/sub frame would gradually move overtime with the natural bumps and stuff on the road.

If new, it could of been out of whack to begin with as the cargo may of been hit (not the car), with the car being secured inside of it during transport so the alignment could of gone out from there; but the car was perfectly alignment from the factory before it left the plant.
Old 09-17-12, 12:25 PM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Few questions...

Just curious, is this a 2007 AWD or 2008 RWD? The alignment saids 2008 2WD which is RWD.
Was the car new or CPO?
When was it last aligned? Ideally, alignment gets done once a year or 12K mi/ 19K Km. As alignment/sub frame would gradually move overtime with the natural bumps and stuff on the road.

If new, it could of been out of whack to begin with as the cargo may of been hit (not the car), with the car being secured inside of it during transport so the alignment could of gone out from there; but the car was perfectly alignment from the factory before it left the plant.
The Car was purchased new off the showroom floor. It was last aligned in February 2011 with no problems indicated by the dealer when picked up.
Old 09-17-12, 01:36 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Most likely the natural ruts and crowns on road would cause it to shift a bit over time. Nothing out of the ordinary there unless it had hit the curb or a pothole hard enough, then the sub-frame would move.

Try complaining at them again to see if they can adjust the sub-frame, otherwise I would say find a shop which specializes in frame and suspensions and would able to get it right for sure.
Old 09-17-12, 01:53 PM
jah1226
Driver School Candidate

Most likely the natural ruts and crowns on road would cause it to shift a bit over time. Nothing out of the ordinary there unless it had hit the curb or a pothole hard enough, then the sub-frame would move.

Try complaining at them again to see if they can adjust the sub-frame, otherwise I would say find a shop which specializes in frame and suspensions and would able to get it right for sure.
Thanks Sango,

I dont think talking with the service guy will get me anything, because I honestly dont think he understands what is needed or how to do it. Adjusting the sub frame is the only thing I could figure would correct the issue, since there is not a lot of adjustments that can be made in the first place.
Old 09-17-12, 02:02 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jah1226
Thanks Sango,

I dont think talking with the service guy will get me anything, because I honestly dont think he understands what is needed or how to do it. Adjusting the sub frame is the only thing I could figure would correct the issue, since there is not a lot of adjustments that can be made in the first place.
I had a similar argument at a Toyota dealership years ago when I had a 99 Solara (before I got my IS). The car kept getting out of alignment within minutes of leaving the dealership. Got the manager involved and they said, well the graph is green... means it's good (yeah right lol!!, not perfectly dialed in). Eventually they got it right and figured out why my alignment kept getting out of whack; one of the sub-frame bolts was loose so they tightened it up to spec and re-torqued all the others as a precaution.

The the alignments at most dealership go by the book and only adjust what is adjustable. There are a few dealerships that know exactly what they are doing and can adjust sub-frame piece which essentially can do just as well as job as a specialized shop.
Old 09-17-12, 04:20 PM
Gregz_IS
Rookie

Rt side caster is too low....

car pulls to side of least positive caster.

everything else is ok.

http://www.hunter.com/videos/index.cfm?cat=2

scroll down to..... basic alignment