IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

oem lip spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 03:44 PM
09mrmlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem lip spoiler

just wondering if i could install the oem lexus spoiler from sewell with 3m tape? or follow the installation instruction that require drilling into the trunk itself? thanks everybody!
Old 09-19-12, 03:54 PM
Shinji1701
Driver School Candidate

You can use 3m tape but, i would still use the drill method. What i did was take out the studs on the spoiler so i could keep it flush to the trunk. Then i used masking tape to mark out the drill holes. Trick is to wrap the tape backwards around the spoiler so that when you flush the spoiler the tape will stick to the trunk.voila you now have perfect holes marked. Use very small bit first then slowly drill up to your stud size. Then i installed the studs and installed the spoiler with thin 3m tape and nuts on the studs. Note: you should use silicone around the studs before tightening the nuts.
Old 09-19-12, 08:32 PM
09mrmlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shinji1701
You can use 3m tape but, i would still use the drill method. What i did was take out the studs on the spoiler so i could keep it flush to the trunk. Then i used masking tape to mark out the drill holes. Trick is to wrap the tape backwards around the spoiler so that when you flush the spoiler the tape will stick to the trunk.voila you now have perfect holes marked. Use very small bit first then slowly drill up to your stud size. Then i installed the studs and installed the spoiler with thin 3m tape and nuts on the studs. Note: you should use silicone around the studs before tightening the nuts.

deng.! drilling my is gets me really scared. lol i know the ebay spoilers only requires the 3m tape method. i almost bought it from ebay but seller says the paint might not be perfect match. so i wanna settle for the oem from sewell.
Old 09-19-12, 08:34 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used the 3M tape and its fine, not going anywhere. Have you ever tried pulling something off with 3M tape? Its very very hard to get off. No way I was drilling holes in my trunk.
Old 09-19-12, 09:07 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 774 Likes on 667 Posts

If its a rear deck spoiler, I just installed one today. I purchased from oem.thing and it was a good match and looks factory. Easy to instal! Just 3m tape! I wouldnt buy oem not worth it imo
Old 09-19-12, 09:26 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

I dremel'd off the studs and just used the 3M tape. Been on for over a year now with no issues.
Old 09-23-12, 09:05 PM
09mrmlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
If its a rear deck spoiler, I just installed one today. I purchased from oem.thing and it was a good match and looks factory. Easy to instal! Just 3m tape! I wouldnt buy oem not worth it imo
what color is your vehicle? i tried to order from them but they said the paint might be a little off.

Last edited by 09mrmlex; 09-23-12 at 09:10 PM. Reason: sdad
Old 09-23-12, 09:12 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can definitely install the OEM trunk spoiler with just tape. I did. And it hasn't budged in nearly 2 years. As long as you use the right 3M tape, all you have to do is use a dremel and cut off the bolts. Make sure you cover up the place where you cut off the bolts (to avoid rust) with either the tape or something else and then just stick it down properly. Mine hasn't moved at all and its not going to. Prepping the area properly is key too - make sure its completely clean on the trunk and the bottom of the spoiler before you do anything and apply the tape when the body is hot for a better stick.

As far as the color being off on the roof/trunk spoiler from OEM.Thing, if you have Starfire Pearl or Glacier Frost Mica there's a good chance it will be off a little. Those colors are hard to match well.
Old 09-23-12, 10:03 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 774 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by 09mrmlex
what color is your vehicle? i tried to order from them but they said the paint might be a little off.

Grey SGM. Fit and color was perfect and super easy to instal. Paint looks like factory quality! For 89 bucks it was a steal and it arrived in 6 days from Taiwan.

Order it, if it doesnt come out perfect get it resprayed. Unless if you can get your color spoiler from sewell for less the $200.00
Old 09-23-12, 10:07 PM
09mrmlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
You can definitely install the OEM trunk spoiler with just tape. I did. And it hasn't budged in nearly 2 years. As long as you use the right 3M tape, all you have to do is use a dremel and cut off the bolts. Make sure you cover up the place where you cut off the bolts (to avoid rust) with either the tape or something else and then just stick it down properly. Mine hasn't moved at all and its not going to. Prepping the area properly is key too - make sure its completely clean on the trunk and the bottom of the spoiler before you do anything and apply the tape when the body is hot for a better stick.

As far as the color being off on the roof/trunk spoiler from OEM.Thing, if you have Starfire Pearl or Glacier Frost Mica there's a good chance it will be off a little. Those colors are hard to match well.
thanks yo! im definitly gonna consider the 3m method. as i am ordering the oem ones from sewell. for under $200 with the CL discount u cant beat that. i mean instead of buying from OEM.thing. i tried asking them about the paint match and they said it might be a little off. i have matador red mica.
Old 09-23-12, 10:08 PM
09mrmlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Grey SGM. Fit and color was perfect and super easy to instal. Paint looks like factory quality! For 89 bucks it was a steal and it arrived in 6 days from Taiwan.

Order it, if it doesnt come out perfect get it resprayed. Unless if you can get your color spoiler from sewell for less the $200.00

i think im going for the OEM spoiler from sewell. guaranteed match. under $200 with CL discount!
Old 09-23-12, 10:23 PM
eddiekay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bit off topic but since we're talking about 3m taping items, can you use 3m tape on front spoiler lip?
Old 09-23-12, 10:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 09mrmlex
i think im going for the OEM spoiler from sewell. guaranteed match. under $200 with CL discount!
Its not really a guaranteed match. There's always going to be a difference if your paint is aged since the spoiler will have fresh paint on it. Most colors hide it well though, but it can be apparent on colors like GFM and SFP.
Old 09-24-12, 09:05 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

3m or loctite tape will work. That is whats holding my roof spoiler in place. A friend of mine has his trunk spoiler held on by 3m tape as well
Old 09-24-12, 09:32 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob4256
3m or loctite tape will work. That is whats holding my roof spoiler in place. A friend of mine has his trunk spoiler held on by 3m tape as well
Loctite tape is legit. Have used it on my rear GFX lip. 3M tape will work as well.

Quick Reply: oem lip spoiler