IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight Cuts Out When Turing Car On Only

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 01:45 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Cuts Out When Turing Car On Only

Not really sure what to do with this... I fear it might be a bad computer controller somewhere?? Lights are set to "auto" (so they turn on automatically when it gets dark). I turn the car on and both headlights turn on as expected. However, after driving for about 2 minutes the driver headlight cuts off (and reverts back to the daytime light). The passenger headlight stays on. If I turn the **** from "auto" to "off" and then turn everything back on again... then both lights turn on and both lights remain on for the duration of the drive. The driver light cutting out ONLY happens after the light turns on automatically for the first time.

I have tried replacing the headlight assembly but that didn't fix the issue. I also thought it might be a fuse but then why would the light stay on just fine when manually turned on and only cuts out when it turns on automatically (and only the first time it turns on).
Old 09-25-12, 02:00 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's either gonna be a dying bulb or a dying ballast. Swap the driver and passenger bulbs and see what happens.

If the drivers side still turns off, its the ballast.
If the passenger light starts to turn off and the drivers side stays on instead, its the bulb.
If the bulbs both are working fine.... YAY
Old 09-25-12, 02:57 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

If I had the entire headlight assembly replaced wouldn't that, in effect, replace the bulb and ballast? Also, why would it only cut out the first time but then continue to work indefinitely if I manually turn it off then back on?

I'll give what you suggest a try and revert back. Thanks!!
Old 09-25-12, 03:57 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems like it might be something to do with being in "Auto" since a dying bulb or ballast wouldn't result in your lowbeams cutting out and your daylights coming on. If it was a dying bulb or ballast, your lowbeams would be off, but your high beams won't come on.

Maybe a switch/electronic issue?
Old 09-25-12, 04:15 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nitrotang
It seems like it might be something to do with being in "Auto" since a dying bulb or ballast wouldn't result in your lowbeams cutting out and your daylights coming on. If it was a dying bulb or ballast, your lowbeams would be off, but your high beams won't come on.

Maybe a switch/electronic issue?
Nitro, that is what I'm worrying about... that this is an electronic issue. But, I'll mess with swapping out the bulbs just to be sure. Also, I don't think I've tried turning my high beams on when the lowbeam cuts out. Let me see what happens when I do that.
Old 09-25-12, 04:27 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, you said in your original post that when your driver headlight cuts out, your daytime lights come on? The daytime lights are the high beams, except at 50% brightness, and they shouldn't be on when you turn on your low beams. I don't think that's a bulb/ballast issue since you said that after you switch from "Auto" to "On," it works fine again. Might have to bring it in to a dealer to look at the switches or just not use the "Auto" option.
Old 09-26-12, 07:35 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Ok, I did some more testing last night. Haven't had a chance to swap the bulbs but did get to some other tests...

1. Car off. Light set to "on". Turn on car. Low beams come on. Drive around for a while... low beams stay on entire time.

2. Car off. Light set to "auto". Turn on car. Low beams come on. Drive around... after a minute or so the low beam cuts out and the DRL (high beam bulb) comes on. Set switch to "on"... low beam stays off and DRL stays on. Set switch to "off" then back to "auto"... low beam comes back on and stays on.

3. Same scenario as #2 except this time I go to "on" in the last step rather than "auto"... same result (low beams comes back on and stays on). My guess is that test #2 is actually registering the "on" setting because you have to go through "on" to get to "auto".

I agree that this is likely something electrical. I'll test the bulb switch this weekend and will take it to a dealer if that doesn't work.