IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How often do I HAVE to replace oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-12, 05:17 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DKnight350
Just went synthetic yesterday at the Toyota dealership. They said and had printed material stating the oil and filer should be changed at 10k miles. The fact that they had that in writing made me feel secure that the filter would be fine to 10k.

I think we as a society are still caught up on "old thinking" like we blame our parents and grand parents for doing. We grew up with 3k oil changes being gospel, but technology in oil and filters has gotten very progressive. When the dealerships start saying 10k on synthetic is recommended, doing any less is throwing money away.
It all depends on factors like driving style, environment, etc.

I've seen what my oil looks like at 8,000KM (5,000 miles) and I'd definitely continue with this interval seeing oil is already pitch black. For the record, I've been using synthetic (Motul 8100) for quite a while now (I think only 3 oil change at the dealer since new before I switched out). Just switched to Eneos so will see how this one hold up. I drive hard, so there's my driving style factor.

My theory is that, having inferior oil (I don't mean crap oil) at a shorter change interval is more beneficial to having superior oil at a longer interval because your engine is constantly running fresh clean oil. Even if you have the best oil, they're still going to get dirty and running dirty oil for long periods of time cannot be beneficial to the engine in any way. If you are in the financial position to do both (using superior oil at shorter intervals) then that's even better.
Old 10-06-12, 06:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian

I've seen what my oil looks like at 8,000KM (5,000 miles) and I'd definitely continue with this interval seeing oil is already pitch black.
Oil color is useless information for when to change your oil.

Originally Posted by tedward88
x2

I tried 10k once it was super dirty.
Again- how the oil "looks" is totally useless information. it tells you nothing about how used up the oil is (or isn't).

So sayeth the companies who make the stuff (who would love to tell you to change it everytime it looks dark, but can't, because how it looks tells you nothing).

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#The
Originally Posted by Nordic Oil Group
Dark oil does not indicate the need for an oil change. The way modern detergent motor oil works is that minute particles of soot are suspended in the oil. These minute particles pose no danger to your engine, but they cause the oil to darken
....The only real way to determine whether oil is truly in need of changing is to have an oil analysis performed
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...e_Changed.aspx

Originally Posted by Mobil Oil Company
We would never use color alone as an indication to gauge whether or not you should change your oil. Without oil analysis you can reach the wrong conclusion about oil quality and in many cases darker engine oil is not a sign of any issue or problem. Some additives used in modern oils can produce a dark color over time and this is normal.

http://www.oilsandlube.com/oil-color.htm
Originally Posted by Amsoil folks
The color the AMSOIL on your dipstick (or ANY oil for that matter) has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the oil is suitable for continued use or if it should be drained and replaced.

It is a common misconception that an oil's color is an indication of how dirty it is. This is absolutely NOT TRUE. The color of an oil does not have any bearing on its lubrication ability. Most oil and especially diesel engine oil will turn black in the first few hours of operation due to contaminates generated by the combustion process and soot particles.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html

Originally Posted by Edmunds
4. Check the oil on the dipstick. If it's black, change the oil. Experts say this is a myth, as is the related notion that you can identify spent oil by smell. "That is old school," says Kristen Huff, vice president of Blackstone Laboratories in Fort Wayne, Indiana. "Oil is meant to get dark — it means it's doing its job," she says. As GM's Matt Snider says in this video, different additives change the oil's color. The bottom line: Black oil still has plenty of life left in it

Seriously, unless you've done a UOA- which based on every one I've ever seen posted consistently reports that the 2IS doesn't need its oil changed any earlier than 10,000 miles in nearly any reasonable conditions, even on cheap dino oil- you have no standing to say it needs to be changed sooner, and certainly based on "how it looked"

Heck, we've had people who posted UOAs from their from the factory oil fill that they ran to 10k miles and it was still ok... plus, as mentioned, even Lexus themselves when they switched to synthetic says 10k is the standard change interval (and you can surely go longer if you change the filter along the way)