IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help with lip kit!😵

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12 | 05:27 AM
mannndc2is
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need help with lip kit!😵

I just bought lip kit. I'm bout to put them on my car. But I have no idea what kind of tape I should use and how I do the side skirt?
Old 10-14-12 | 07:08 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3m

take off stock
Old 10-14-12 | 09:28 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't use 3M. USE Loctite which you could find at Walmart cause it clear and able to transfer the color so it looks better.
Old 10-14-12 | 09:46 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

clean and dry your car off propery spray adhesive promoter on the area you are applying the kit to, apply 3M double sided tape to your kit then with the help of another person to properly fit the kit work from one side to the other putting on the kit, I would test fit first just to make sure you know exactly how you want the kit to sit bc once you spray that adhesive promoter and the 3m tape touches it, it will stick quick
Old 10-14-12 | 10:08 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

What type of kit did you get OP? Did you get an entire kit or just the front and sides?

To remove the side skirts, you would have to remove the screws at the ends of each side skirt. Most of the aftermarket kits with the front bumper and side skirts have already holes where all you have to do is unscrew the stock front bumper or side skirt and replace it with the aftermarket piece. However, with aftermarket kits, fitment might be a little off.

I personally used 3M tape (the one that holds up to 5lbs) to attach my rear gfx kit because I didn't want to cut or drill into the rear bumper. The 3M tape has held on strong for the past 3 yrs thru multiple car washes and bad weather. However, the rear bumper is starting to come loose at the sides and therefore I will have to remove it and re-tape it.

I have heard nothing but great things about loctite tape from walmart and that is I what I will be using the second time around when I re-install my rear gfx kit.

Just make sure everything is clean and smooth before you start installing your body kit with tape.
Old 10-14-12 | 10:24 AM
mannndc2is
Driver School Candidate

I got jp lip kit. My main concern is the skirt that I got they have hole on both end but notthing in the middle and along the side ( no tap for clip, nothing at all). Can double side table hold everything in place or I have to screw skirt to the body?. I don't want to screw or drill any hole to the car body. I haven't take out pen skirt but I thing there should be clip or tap to hold the side right?
Old 10-14-12 | 10:26 AM
mannndc2is
Driver School Candidate

"OEM skirt" not "pen skirt"
Old 10-14-12 | 11:08 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
clean and dry your car off propery spray adhesive promoter on the area you are applying the kit to, apply 3M double sided tape to your kit then with the help of another person to properly fit the kit work from one side to the other putting on the kit, I would test fit first just to make sure you know exactly how you want the kit to sit bc once you spray that adhesive promoter and the 3m tape touches it, it will stick quick
Where do you find the adhesive? I had small tubes come with my spoilers before and it's really good helps a lot but I don't know where to find anymore OTC
Old 10-14-12 | 11:09 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Initial G
What type of kit did you get OP? Did you get an entire kit or just the front and sides?

To remove the side skirts, you would have to remove the screws at the ends of each side skirt. Most of the aftermarket kits with the front bumper and side skirts have already holes where all you have to do is unscrew the stock front bumper or side skirt and replace it with the aftermarket piece. However, with aftermarket kits, fitment might be a little off.

I personally used 3M tape (the one that holds up to 5lbs) to attach my rear gfx kit because I didn't want to cut or drill into the rear bumper. The 3M tape has held on strong for the past 3 yrs thru multiple car washes and bad weather. However, the rear bumper is starting to come loose at the sides and therefore I will have to remove it and re-tape it.

I have heard nothing but great things about loctite tape from walmart and that is I what I will be using the second time around when I re-install my rear gfx kit.

Just make sure everything is clean and smooth before you start installing your body kit with tape.
How did you do it this way. I want to get it but I don't want to drill holes either.....did you have to chop off parts of the lip? Does the exhaust hole look flush?
Old 10-14-12 | 11:15 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you use 3m and adhesive, how do you take it off later? any damage caused?
Old 10-14-12 | 11:44 AM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

3m is really strong and I've never had a problem with it. You can probably heat it up with a blow dryer while you're taking it off if you want to make sure your paint doesn't come off
Old 10-14-12 | 02:02 PM
edwinjaeho
Driver School Candidate

my 3m tape did leave some residue after a long time, but goo gone worked wonders to remove it
Old 10-14-12 | 05:22 PM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

woah i cant believe everyone is using just tape!

I bolted mine up with 2 screws per section along with tape. Painted the bolts black and it looks smick az!
Old 10-14-12 | 06:04 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Where do you find the adhesive? I had small tubes come with my spoilers before and it's really good helps a lot but I don't know where to find anymore OTC
Home depot

Originally Posted by skullkandy
woah i cant believe everyone is using just tape!

I bolted mine up with 2 screws per section along with tape. Painted the bolts black and it looks smick az!
I bolted mine too but the main reason why I used 3m tape is to get it to fit properly. I have a rep kit and everyone knows theres fitment issues with reps. With 3M tape and if you have some body work skills you can make any rep kit fit properly.

As for OP I have the full JP rep kit.As I said its bolted and taped up. Feel free to click on the link in my signature to view more pics from when I first got it, installed it etc.I've even taken it off modified it and put it back on. If you followed my steps above on putting the kit on then yours will fit just fine.

Heres how she sits now, I've had no issues with it coming off, sagging or anything

Old 10-14-12 | 06:26 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol ^ i like your sig

Quick Reply: Need help with lip kit!😵