IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Not my day.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 08:39 AM
apdimitri
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohiois350
sad to see it happen man but hope that the insurance would total the car, because the car would not drive the same after a accident, if they are not total that car, it is time for the 2011 f-sport front end conversion include the headlights
I was thinking the same thing. Would all this body work not depreciate the value of the car as well (down the road when I want to sell)? I assume it need a new quarter panel on the side, a complete new bumper and headlights, the bar in the front got bent, and the edge of the hood got bent. Im not sure if they can just fix the metal body/hood/quarter panel. Then again I am not sure how much those parts actually cost to consider it totaled.

Last edited by apdimitri; 10-15-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-15-12, 10:43 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

The other driver for sure. Looks like you'll be able to get a 2012 conversion out of thislol I'm glad no one was seriously hurt
Old 10-15-12, 10:47 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Sux to see an IS hurt like that. Sorry to hear about it...

Accidents do happen, glad that you weren't injured.

As they say, "cars can be fixed or replaced". I don't think it will be totalled though.

The cost of the repair will need to be close to the value of the car or there is serious frame damage that can't be repaired in order for total.
Old 10-15-12, 10:54 AM
apdimitri
Rookie

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
The other driver for sure. Looks like you'll be able to get a 2012 conversion out of thislol I'm glad no one was seriously hurt
Originally Posted by shadowman
Sux to see an IS hurt like that. Sorry to hear about it...

Accidents do happen, glad that you weren't injured.

As they say, "cars can be fixed or replaced". I don't think it will be totalled though.

The cost of the repair will need to be close to the value of the car or there is serious frame damage that can't be repaired in order for total.
How does the repair process work? Do I tell them what I want to be put on the car (i.e. 2012 conversion) or do they decide? The 2012 conversion would be great! lol but why would the persons insurance pay for that when they can pay to put the one that my car had (2007) for half the price? Sorry for all the questions, I have never been through this before and I would hate to be taken advantage of by the insurance company. Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Old 10-15-12, 11:27 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

^^^ Usually, they will send you to an insurance adjuster who will provide an estimate for the parts and repair.

You will also want the shop of your choice to take a look and give you a copy of their estimate too. Usually, the other party's adjuster will tend to low ball you... don't let that happen.

In CA, you have the RIGHT to choose your own shop for the repair work. That's why it's wise to have them give you an estimate. You can talk to the shop and see if they are willing to give you an 11 bumper instead. But don't expect too much... since this may fall into grey of insurance fraud. Bill the other party's insurance for something "extra"...

But that depends on the shop... some shop are unwilling to do this since they don't want to be held liable. Legally, the other party is liable to replace your car to it's "ORGINAL" condition.
Old 10-15-12, 12:03 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Yellow car DID NOT have the right of way; it is their responsiblity to see that the lane is clear before merging through YOUR lane. If you have contacted your insurance already...damage done. But since this was clearly not your fault, you should ONLY deal with their insurance company for all of the repairs.

Get a police report I assume?
Old 10-15-12, 12:12 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apdimitri
What makes a car "Totaled" ? because there is actual damage to the metal beam behind the bumper.

Great! good to know.
Sorry to see this...look at it this way, if it doesn't get totaled, its upgrades time!

A totaled car is determined by if the damages exceed the certain percentage of the car's value. Every insurance company is different though, some total them when it exceeds 50% or 75%.

Just looking at the car doesn't look like its totaled though IMO. Looks very similar to the damages I had on my IS when some idiot decided to run the red and t-boned my front end.

Hope you have a police report and I'd hire an attorney just in case you have any medical pains that you do not know about. My girl and I wasn't hurt badly in our accident, but after we got an x-ray done, we found out my girl's neck was pretty messed up from the whiplash

Good luck! Hope the rest of your Monday gets better.
Old 10-15-12, 12:14 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn, sorry to see that happen to you, but glad everyone is ok! I would say it is the other car's fault too for not checking, as I believe you do have the right of way in this situation.

As far as getting a 2012 front end, you would have to get a quote for how much it would cost to repair your car back to its original "like factory" condition. And then get a quote for how much extra it would be to add the other parts that you want. (You will have to pay the difference for the 2012 front and whatever else you may want done). Double check with your insurance if you need to make sure its legal - but I haven't heard anyone having issues doing it this way.
Old 10-17-12, 10:02 AM
apdimitri
Rookie

I called her insurance company (the person that hit me) and answered their questions so they could file a claim. They sent an adjuster out this morning and he said he would get back to me. They asked me for my insurance information when compiling the claim. Why?
Old 10-17-12, 10:09 AM
Boostd
Driver

That looks fixable. Hope everything comes out for you.
Old 10-17-12, 10:43 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Btw a similar accident happened to a member here a few months back think is sn was 149max but anyways a car in front of him turned into a plaza and ironically a isf that was the same color was pulling out she didn't see him bcof the car in front of him that turned in. They crashed. She was at fault and he got a is f front end out of it. Best part is he had a dash cam and caught it all on video. Members that have been around for a while should rememberthat thread.
Old 10-17-12, 11:04 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Btw a similar accident happened to a member here a few months back think is sn was 149max but anyways a car in front of him turned into a plaza and ironically a isf that was the same color was pulling out she didn't see him bcof the car in front of him that turned in. They crashed. She was at fault and he got a is f front end out of it. Best part is he had a dash cam and caught it all on video. Members that have been around for a while should rememberthat thread.
Here it is.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-accident.html

Old 10-17-12, 11:55 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Other persons fault for sure. Good thing is that you are ok.
Old 10-17-12, 12:01 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't worry man! You're safe and sound and no one was hurt.
The other party is definitely at fault. He/she has to check for oncoming traffic, and they failed to do so.
Damage doesn't look too bad, but you can top some money on top and get the new 2012 headlights and a new bumper!
Old 10-17-12, 12:02 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

You were in main traffic. She was coming out from a required or yield stop lane. It's her fault.

Quick Reply: Not my day.....