IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Keep it or Sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 05:51 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

kia/hyundai warranties are reliable, not the cars themselves. haven't you seen the honda commercial? duh.

Last edited by davyjordi; 10-17-12 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-17-12, 05:57 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

sell it!
Old 10-17-12, 08:33 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Well I'm mostly referring to this "How much can you afford?" guide (and others similar to it) -

Annual Income: $100,000
Mortgage/Rent: Up to $28,000
Car: Lexus IS, $31,155
Dining Out: $3,600
Entertainment: $3,000
Clothing: $2,325
Travel: $4,000
IRA: $15,000
Public College: $6,585
Health/Car Insurance: $4,100
Federal Income Tax: Married: $17,375 / Single: $21,720
I'm sorry but since when is a IS 31K? All other cars on the list seem to have a new car value?

I think the OP should sell the car if he can get squared out with his payments. And if his credit allows, Lease something for now. My family just leased an Hyundai Elantra, Mid trim, for $290/month walkout. All down and taxes included. We saw some leases that were only $150 a month with everything included. (Look at honda).

The way i see it you get a nice car, and when your ready to step out, just turn in the car, (You have to pay a fee, but I assume by then you'll be out of your financial difficulties.

And to the OP, I understand what your going through, my family just went through some hard times, don't worry, things will get back to normal and hopefully better then before.
Old 10-17-12, 08:51 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First, ignore the advice of selling it. That's foolish. With what you owe on the car and the repairs needed the total is $18.5k. There is no way you are going to get a car of Lexus quality for that kind of money, and 79k miles on the odometer is nothing. Anytime you buy or sell a car you lose. And besides tires and struts are maintenance items, those expenses are to be expected with any ownership over the long haul. I'd advise to get it fixed, put some tires on it and drive it till the wheels fall off.
Old 10-17-12, 11:57 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sallydrive
I'm sorry but since when is a IS 31K? All other cars on the list seem to have a new car value?

I think the OP should sell the car if he can get squared out with his payments. And if his credit allows, Lease something for now. My family just leased an Hyundai Elantra, Mid trim, for $290/month walkout. All down and taxes included. We saw some leases that were only $150 a month with everything included. (Look at honda).

The way i see it you get a nice car, and when your ready to step out, just turn in the car, (You have to pay a fee, but I assume by then you'll be out of your financial difficulties.

And to the OP, I understand what your going through, my family just went through some hard times, don't worry, things will get back to normal and hopefully better then before.
It's 4-5 year old article. The MSRP for a base IS250 hovered around the $31K mark IIRC.
Old 10-23-12, 10:43 AM
bashli61
Driver School Candidate

Well i just bought a used lex 2004 gx 470 with 75k on it. i did the 80k service $123.00 and had to replace the radiator and timing belt 1256.00 smackers, I like the car and my job is decent at this moment. But really these lex cars are a bit much, everyone keeps telling me I will get 250k to 300k miles with just changing tire and wear parts....SMH

I say sell it and try to start over with something else!

Last edited by bashli61; 10-23-12 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-23-12, 04:11 PM
maniacbob
Driver

Question for OP:

Do you NEED to get the airbag issue fix NOW? I mean, I understand the safety aspect of it but if there's no other cheaper way around it then why not fix the Struts and get new Tires for now until and then save up to get the airbag issue fixed.
Old 10-23-12, 04:37 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just called Lexus Corporate and filed a case for this airbag light issue in my car. My car has over 85,000 miles so I'm out of the powertrain warranty. Hopefully, when the case manager gets back to me in 2 days after reviewing my case, they'll grant me a goodwill repair I've seen a few other members on here got even though they were well out of warranty.
Old 10-26-12, 07:24 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

well i tried calling corporate and was told straight up that pending my code was read there was little they were going to be able to do. and honestly I cant even afford the $60 fee to get that read. That being said I have decided to sell the car. I am in the process of removing everything so I will be posting some for sale items. Essentially I thought that replacement things were rather cheap all things considered but I have seemed to have a few big things fail and honestly I am stretched out money wise. I have decided to go back to my roots and I am currently looking for a cheap cheap subaru for the time being. That way I can pay it off in a few months and handle repairs that a high mileage subaru carries but I think that right now my biggest hurdle is my 345 a month payment.

I was never keen on lease because of the extreme amount of miles I drive a year. So I think that for the time being I will just try and find a way to sell the car. Though at the moment I am unsure of where to sell too. I am thinking of having the code cleared and driving right to a place to sell it. I'll settle for breaking even at the moment. I love the car but I think that it's time for me to bend and say uncle. I know this seems extreme but for anyone who has lost a job, you go into triage and start finding what is in excess in your life. I'd also rather not live in my lexus and would rather keep a roof over my head.

I thank you all and all of CL for all of the support since I have been on here. I can tell you it won't be my last time owning a Lexus and I think that I will still stop on the site here for a while. Look out in the FS section for a few goodies I'll post up. It was however a tough decision on the issue but I think that this was my best course of action.
Old 10-26-12, 10:07 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by irishcharm
well i tried calling corporate and was told straight up that pending my code was read there was little they were going to be able to do. and honestly I cant even afford the $60 fee to get that read. That being said I have decided to sell the car. I am in the process of removing everything so I will be posting some for sale items. Essentially I thought that replacement things were rather cheap all things considered but I have seemed to have a few big things fail and honestly I am stretched out money wise. I have decided to go back to my roots and I am currently looking for a cheap cheap subaru for the time being. That way I can pay it off in a few months and handle repairs that a high mileage subaru carries but I think that right now my biggest hurdle is my 345 a month payment.

I was never keen on lease because of the extreme amount of miles I drive a year. So I think that for the time being I will just try and find a way to sell the car. Though at the moment I am unsure of where to sell too. I am thinking of having the code cleared and driving right to a place to sell it. I'll settle for breaking even at the moment. I love the car but I think that it's time for me to bend and say uncle. I know this seems extreme but for anyone who has lost a job, you go into triage and start finding what is in excess in your life. I'd also rather not live in my lexus and would rather keep a roof over my head.

I thank you all and all of CL for all of the support since I have been on here. I can tell you it won't be my last time owning a Lexus and I think that I will still stop on the site here for a while. Look out in the FS section for a few goodies I'll post up. It was however a tough decision on the issue but I think that this was my best course of action.
Sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck with your sale and your future endeavors. Hopefully we'll see you back in the forum soon.