Keep it or Sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 09:27 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Keep it or Sell it?

Hey all,

So kind of stealing my post from another thread but I need help. Basically, should I keep it or sell it?

Amidst current repair problems - the curtain of prices has been revealed along with other pending repairs. Below are the details.

-About the car: 2nd owner of the car. Purchased it with 55k miles for around $23k. Car is a 2006 IS250 AWD with the luxury package - see my garage for full list of items added. Currently has 79k miles on it. and has a slightly crack side view mirror and rock chips all over the front bumper and a few on the hood. otherwise a clean car.

-Current issues: I need tires ($600); Rear Struts ($800); and the wiring harness that will fix the SRS Airbag Code ($2400) - all prices include my mechanic doing the labor. All in all my repairs amount to about $3800 that I don't have in the first place.

-Airbag issue: The light came on randomly one day on Sept 24. Had my code cleared and no problems since then. But yesterday the light came on again and has been off/on for the last day. My private mechanic said he can get the part for $1800 and the labor is $600.

-Current Findings: I still owe 14,7k on the car for the next 4 years and in average condition (without the airbag light, without needing tires, and without needing rear struts) is worth a trade in value of 14,7k-15,5k as per KKB, Black Book, and NDA or NADA. So I am assuming I will be taking a rather large loss if I trade it in. I was thinking of having the code cleared by my mechanic and driving right to a dealer to trade it but I am lost.

-Thoughts: I want an AWD car but due to being laid off of my main job 1.5 years ago and having to take a much worse paying full time job, I am barely making ends meet so price and money are my enemies to say the least. I also have put in a good deal of wrench time as well as time on the interior mods which I would have to convert back to stock and remove all the items I have in there.

So do I keep it and bite the bullet of $3800 that I don't have or trade it and take a large loss but get into another car that I don't have to worry about airbag issues and potential carbon build up issues.

Thanks all.

What should I do? I haven't had this problem so I am unsure of the choice.
Old 10-15-12, 09:38 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

sell it
Old 10-15-12, 09:47 AM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

What are part numbers you need to fix the airbag issue?
Old 10-15-12, 10:00 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That sucks dude! If you can't afford the repairs, sell it; but that would leave you without transportation if you're not getting any money back from the sale ... the airbags does seem to be the biggest cost for repair; is it 100% that the failing part is found?
Old 10-15-12, 10:14 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

How much would you ask selling private party? I may seriously be interested for a project I've always wanted to do!
Old 10-15-12, 10:31 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would sell it. I've had a handful of problems with my 2006 IS250 AWD as well and I just recently ran into a big problem that will cost me over a grand. I'm currently living with it but if it gets worse, I'll prob end up selling my car too. IMO it's not worth the repairs.

I actually had the same airbag light problem and needed a new harness. It was actually a TSB and I printed it out and showed it to my Lexus Dealer. They fixed it free of charge for me. I feel like I got lucky, but you should ask and see how it turns out.
Old 10-15-12, 11:10 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Seanis350 - either : 8214153A64; 8214153U60; or most likely 8214153U40.

nosuprise - yes it was verified and I saw the code which is the wiring harness code also mentioning the pass side knee bolster airbag circuit fault. and the only repair is the whole harness - legit repair.

mikellucci - I really took care of this car but apparently KBB reports Private party values as $19456 - Very Good; $19006 - Good; and $17406 - Fair ......i assume you would have an offer if I were to sell.

sleekbrian - Unfortunately I have done the navigation hack, added an ipod connector, ect which, to a dealer, voids every kind of being nice that you can imagine. So I didn't even try. Especially since I have asked a few dealers in the past about it and all responded that the minute I even splice a wire in for anything at all, it voids warranty and allows the dealer to say they won't pay for it at all. Though I myself have seen the TSB too.

I am very torn over this issue but safety is my number 1 concern. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place honestly.
Old 10-15-12, 11:21 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How about you go into the dealer with the TSB and tell them you have the light in and NOTHING else. See what they say. I highly doubt it would be caused by the splicing job. It's worth a shot.
Old 10-15-12, 11:38 AM
irishcharm
Driver

sffd103 - I can do that. But when they pull things apart it is clear that they will see I've spliced into things because they will have to remove all of my stuff that is in there to replace the harness. Even if I remove it all I would be nervous about them charging me after the fact if and when they saw the electrical tape over the spliced areas they would charge me. Not to be funny, I am actually at the point where I can't afford even a $100 troubleshoot from the dealer lol. At least not until early next month since I paid all the bills already. Sadly this economy has not been friendly to my wallet.

Although it is a good shot I am nervous about the cost, any cost at that. Thank you for the support on the wiring splicing though. I know for a fact it isn't so I appreciate the vote of confidence.
Old 10-15-12, 11:42 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
I would sell it. I've had a handful of problems with my 2006 IS250 AWD as well and I just recently ran into a big problem that will cost me over a grand. I'm currently living with it but if it gets worse, I'll prob end up selling my car too. IMO it's not worth the repairs.

I actually had the same airbag light problem and needed a new harness. It was actually a TSB and I printed it out and showed it to my Lexus Dealer. They fixed it free of charge for me. I feel like I got lucky, but you should ask and see how it turns out.
Can I ask where you found the TSB?
Old 10-15-12, 12:08 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Can I ask where you found the TSB?
This may help you....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ution-tsb.html
Old 10-15-12, 01:05 PM
irishcharm
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I wish my problem happened 9k miles ago but that was the first post I read on the issue too
Old 10-15-12, 01:19 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by irishcharm
sffd103 - I can do that. But when they pull things apart it is clear that they will see I've spliced into things because they will have to remove all of my stuff that is in there to replace the harness. Even if I remove it all I would be nervous about them charging me after the fact if and when they saw the electrical tape over the spliced areas they would charge me. Not to be funny, I am actually at the point where I can't afford even a $100 troubleshoot from the dealer lol. At least not until early next month since I paid all the bills already. Sadly this economy has not been friendly to my wallet.

Although it is a good shot I am nervous about the cost, any cost at that. Thank you for the support on the wiring splicing though. I know for a fact it isn't so I appreciate the vote of confidence.
Airbag is under the powertrain warranty.

You should just bring it in if you are under your power train warranty. It should be free of charge to diagnose.
Old 10-15-12, 02:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by irishcharm
I wish my problem happened 9k miles ago but that was the first post I read on the issue too
Originally Posted by smokyis350
Airbag is under the powertrain warranty.

You should just bring it in if you are under your power train warranty. It should be free of charge to diagnose.
OP mentioned the car is at 79k miles now so its outside that warranty too.

OP -Since you are out of warranty contact Lexus Corporate. See if they will do the fix for you out of goodwill. Some member's here have kindly requested otherwise-warrantied service not far outside of warranty expiration and got repairs either for free or for 50/50 (split bill, you pay parts they pay labor or vice versa, etc) You got nothing to lose really, either they help you out or they don't.
Old 10-15-12, 02:43 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Luckily for the IS350 folks we have a 100k powertrain warranty

Quick Reply: Keep it or Sell it?