IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What fluid did I drain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 10:26 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so its agreed that its the ATF, but you cant really check it cause theres no dipstick. Toyota/ Lexus dealers use their factory scanners to check the level since it has to be between a certain degree range otherwise the fluid doesnt drip correctly from the "check port"

you should probably call a tow truck tomorrow morning.

Last edited by panda08; 10-18-12 at 10:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-18-12, 10:28 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
i was reading the same thread on my.is u posted and someone said coolant which is a possibility. because come to think of it the drain hole for the transmission is not a 14mm nut as u have to of loosened. but if it atf fluid, i would recommend lexus genuine atf fluid and not some generic atf fluid and no u cant fill from a drain hole. u need to open your hood, find the tranny dipstick. if u dont know how to do it, i would recommend a dealer doing it or finding a diy. at thos point its better to check both the coolant and the atf. coolant again should be bought from either a lexus or toyota dealer, ask for the long life red coolant. but first check the coolant overflow tank, should be on the passenger side of the engine bay
you dont need a 14mm to drain the coolant. and the coolant is suppose to be pink "super long life"
Old 10-19-12, 05:29 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have it towed to dealer, sounds like that's alot of fluid that came out. You don't want to ruin your transmission.
Old 10-19-12, 06:09 AM
TUNG
Pole Position

I believe you drained the transmission fluid, I had to same exact problem. I was attempting to do an oil change on my car and then drained the transmission fluid instead. I recommend you not to start your engine and get your car towed to lexus. There's no dipstick to pour back your fluid, so the dealer has to do it manually with some special machine. It cost me around 350$ to had it done with an oil change/filter change. GOODLUCK man.
Old 10-19-12, 11:06 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

OP, can you confirm that you have not driven the car since the trans fluid was drained? Hopefully its been parked! Anyhow, like others have stated the trans is a sealed unit with no dipstick. There should logically be a fill bolt hole somewhere; anyone know where that might be? Anyhow, if you have kept 100% of the fluid that was removed from the trans you can simply add back that same amount back into the trans.

GL!
Old 10-19-12, 11:22 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The refill hole can be accessed by removing the transmission case cover. Its best if you take it to the dealer. The instructions to refill the IS's tranmission is not easy and requires a special tool called a "intelligent tester" (to measure tranny temp). Also, the car must be on level ground when doing the procedure, so unless you have a lift, doing it on jack stands wont help (unless you use 4 jack stands on each corner).

EDIT: I reread the instructions and I think I got it.
1. remove case cover
2. remove refill bolt
3. remove overflow plug
4. add genuine ATF WS until atf trickles out of the overflow plug.
5. install overflow plug
6. circulate atf by turning engine on and shift the lever through the entire range .A/C must be off.
7. wait 30 seconds to idle
8. while idling remove overflow plug
a. if the atf fluid trickles out, reinstall overflow plug YOU ARE DONE. Reinstall everything else.
b. if atf does not trickle out add 0.42 US quarts of ATF..
1. allow ATF to circualte for 10 seconds, then remove overflow plug to recheck if ATF trickles.

Thats alot of confusing work. Good luck.

Last edited by evogt500; 10-19-12 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-19-12, 11:35 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

^But that is only assuming he doesn't know the amount of fluid that needs to re-enter the trans. If he measured that the draining drained 2.5Qts of ATF, then that's the same amount to re-enter the system. Thinking in my head where the fill hole might be, you might need to invest in a manual fuel pump hose. The kind you pump with your hand to suck the fluid from the ATF bottles into the trans fill hole. Available that your nearest Walmart in fact.

Added pic to clarify :

GL!

Last edited by Gville350; 10-19-12 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-19-12, 12:26 PM
Zlanger
Driver School Candidate

I have done the exact same thing yesterday. I made a mistake and drained transmission oil pan instead of the engine oil. I had my car towed to a Toyota dealer this morning and long story short from my understanding they hook it up to a computer add fluid run it up to working temperature and then measure. It's a sealed system on my 07 is250 and they fill it from the bottom so if you have same model you can't do this your self. Good news is you didn't drive it and if you empty the oil pan you only take out close to 3Qts like me. I felt so miserable after it happened and still hope I didn't mess it up for the long run.
Old 10-19-12, 12:42 PM
Zlanger
Driver School Candidate

After I emptied the trans fluid I replaced the oil filter and poured the new oil into the engine and couldn't believe that it was so high on the dip stick and that's when I figured out what went wrong. I drained 1/2 of the oil and had the dealer replace the oil with the new filter and add/measure the trany oil level just while ago.Hope this helps you some, lots of ppl did the same mistake according to the dealer and my research last night. Do not drive the car until you are sure it has been corrected. I'm hoping I didn't blow any gaskets or messed anything else up. But so far so good. I drove it home while ago.
Old 10-19-12, 02:01 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lelouche
So in my slurry to change my oil, I drained two fluids.. my oil, and a red fluid with a 14mm socket in near the middle of my car. I started draining the one from the middle and then later realized that it was NOT my oil. Now I I'm thinking it's my differential oil because I figured we couldn't drain our transmission oil. So am I right? It was located in the middle of the car infront of where the exhaust splits.
Red fluid sounds like transmission fluid to me. If it was your differential, it would smell more like rotten eggs and would be a darker color in the brown range with thick viscosity. The differential is located more towards back where the wheel axles and is what attaches the wheel axles.
Old 10-19-12, 02:09 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,336 Posts

This reminds me of a story in my past. Close to 40 years ago, my then brother-in-law bought himself a shiny new Chevy Nova. I changed the oil on it at my house at the first oil change. He watched me do it, and I went slowly instructing him every step of the way. He tried the second oil change himself, and yep, he drained the transmission fluid. After he called I went over to his apartment and rectified the situation, but he never tried to change his own oil again

Lou
Old 10-21-12, 03:40 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you drained WS transmission fluid. it is not at all easy to fill properly. there is no dipstick or dipstick tube. you also need to be able to monitor transmission fluid temperature to get it to the correct level.

i would only advise someone to do this on their own if they really really know what they're doing and have the right equipment. since the OP did not even realize what fluid was drained,......I highly recommend towing to dealership. It's unfortunate and not cheap, but it's probably for the best.
Old 10-22-12, 06:20 AM
Zlanger
Driver School Candidate

I'll add that thetransmission fluid that I drained out of my is250 was not red in color. It looked like a really dirty motor oil. Over all repair was $225 at FWB Toyota dealer. ( oil,filter change and trans fluid refill and diagnostics).
Old 10-22-12, 10:57 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zlanger
I'll add that thetransmission fluid that I drained out of my is250 was not red in color. It looked like a really dirty motor oil. Over all repair was $225 at FWB Toyota dealer. ( oil,filter change and trans fluid refill and diagnostics).
Automatic Transmission fluid gets dirty over time. Clutch pack material and heat degrade the fluid faster than you might think, hence the dark dirty appearance. There could also be a possiblitly that if you bought the car used , that the previous owner didnt use the right fluid. Glad you got it sorted out though.
Old 10-22-12, 02:23 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlanger
Wow expensive! But glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: What fluid did I drain?