IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What fluid did I drain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 08:02 PM
Lelouche
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What fluid did I drain?

So in my slurry to change my oil, I drained two fluids.. my oil, and a red fluid with a 14mm socket in near the middle of my car. I started draining the one from the middle and then later realized that it was NOT my oil. Now I I'm thinking it's my differential oil because I figured we couldn't drain our transmission oil. So am I right? It was located in the middle of the car infront of where the exhaust splits.
Old 10-18-12, 08:05 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

transmision fluid. Be sure to fill it up with genuine toyota atf.
Old 10-18-12, 08:08 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

that was your tranny fluid, if its an auto gearbox then its red fluid for atf. diff fluid is usually clear fluid. just buy atf fluid. start and warm up the car and set it in neutral with park brake. when its warm pull the tranny stick out and see how much u lost and top off as needed
Old 10-18-12, 08:17 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

you drained the transmission fluid
Old 10-18-12, 08:17 PM
Lelouche
Driver School Candidate

I thought the manual says that we are unable to change the tranny fluids for the is250/350?
Old 10-18-12, 08:21 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can drain only a little bit of the transmission fluid. I forgot the exact amount, but its around 10% that is in there. So its true that you cant truly change the entire tranny fluid.
Old 10-18-12, 08:25 PM
Lelouche
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edgeucated
you can drain only a little bit of the transmission fluid. I forgot the exact amount, but its around 10% that is in there. So its true that you cant truly change the entire tranny fluid.
Well I seemed to drain a lot because it filled half a 5 quart bottle.. I haven't driven thecar since.
Old 10-18-12, 08:33 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

on a drain and fill situation, u can drain about 4-5qts. full system flush takes the 10-12qts
Old 10-18-12, 08:35 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lelouche
I thought the manual says that we are unable to change the tranny fluids for the is250/350?
they say u cant for the sake of non-lexus techs putting in the wrong atf fluid. ive seen this happen before when i used to work for a lexus dealer and now i work at nissan and i still see it where idiots put atf fluid into a cvt transmission...there goes warranty out the door :inout:
Old 10-18-12, 08:40 PM
Lelouche
Driver School Candidate

So I'm able to buy atf and fill it through a plug hole right? Or do I have to tow it to the dealer..
Old 10-18-12, 09:44 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

So I'm able to buy atf and fill it through a plug hole right? Or do I have to tow it to the dealer..
i was reading the same thread on my.is u posted and someone said coolant which is a possibility. because come to think of it the drain hole for the transmission is not a 14mm nut as u have to of loosened. but if it atf fluid, i would recommend lexus genuine atf fluid and not some generic atf fluid and no u cant fill from a drain hole. u need to open your hood, find the tranny dipstick. if u dont know how to do it, i would recommend a dealer doing it or finding a diy. at thos point its better to check both the coolant and the atf. coolant again should be bought from either a lexus or toyota dealer, ask for the long life red coolant. but first check the coolant overflow tank, should be on the passenger side of the engine bay
Old 10-18-12, 09:49 PM
Lelouche
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
i was reading the same thread on my.is u posted and someone said coolant which is a possibility. because come to think of it the drain hole for the transmission is not a 14mm nut as u have to of loosened. but if it atf fluid, i would recommend lexus genuine atf fluid and not some generic atf fluid and no u cant fill from a drain hole. u need to open your hood, find the tranny dipstick. if u dont know how to do it, i would recommend a dealer doing it or finding a diy. at thos point its better to check both the coolant and the atf. coolant again should be bought from either a lexus or toyota dealer, ask for the long life red coolant. but first check the coolant overflow tank, should be on the passenger side of the engine bay
If I recall, I drained what looked to be a tank under the car away from the engine right below the center console of the car.. but I'll have a look into it tomorrow as its not at my apartment.
Old 10-18-12, 09:52 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

If I recall, I drained what looked to be a tank under the car away from the engine right below the center console of the car.. but I'll have a look into it tomorrow as its not at my apartment.
that definitely sounds like the transmission drain pan
Old 10-18-12, 09:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

this thread title is dirty
Old 10-18-12, 09:57 PM
Lelouche
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
that definitely sounds like the transmission drain pan
I'll snap a picture of where I drained it to verify in the morning.

Quick Reply: What fluid did I drain?