IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 IS350 vs 09 G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 09:06 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Note that the G8 GT plays "catchup" as speed increases.

In fact, the G8 GT is faster from 60 to 100 by a healthy .4 seconds

40 to 80 is virtually identical for both the IS350 and G8 GT (5.6 seconds for the IS350 to 5.5 seconds for the G8 GT).

Point of the story is you'll get beat from any roll race 60 MPH or above, and you'll win from a dig through 100 MPH.
And I'm afraid I will have to disagree with this too based on my real world experience. Your experience may vary as will others. At highway speeds of 60+ he would pull a sec, then I would reel in or walk away. Maybe his car was slow. Don't really know. Would like to run another one. And again, like I also mentioned at the local 1/8th mile track the GXP I saw ran a quickest time of 8.74. That day I ran 8.79, and have since ran 8.67.
So 0-100 I see a very close race with a GXP, and the IS350 coming out on top against a G8 GT.

But again... experiences may vary. Close cars performance wise though. Although the G8's DO wake up alot to mods which is the IS350s problem.. so this is in a stock vs. stock scenario.
Old 10-20-12, 10:29 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend's G8 GT is stock. I'll let you guys know the results once it all goes down
Old 10-20-12, 10:41 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
Its actually not dead even according to those numbers, which reflects my experience. By 100mph, the IS350 would be(according to numbers and not real life experience) 11 meters ahead of the G8 due to the quicker accelleration in the blocks going up to 100
Yeah good point technically the IS350 wins from 0 to 100 (since it has covered more distance in exactly the same time (12.7 seconds) as the G8 GT).
Old 10-21-12, 09:38 PM
306mustang
Driver School Candidate

Me and my buddy will set up a race soon. He has a 09 g8 vs my 06 is350. Let's see what happens
Old 10-21-12, 09:50 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i thought a g8 would be a lot faster than that.
Old 10-22-12, 08:36 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Was supposed to race Sunday but it was raining all day and every SoCal person knows that the roads get super slick when it rains. I was a little disappointed but oh well. I wasn't gonna race on slippery roads. That's just stupid.

Will keep you guys posted!!
Old 10-22-12, 09:02 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Was supposed to race Sunday but it was raining all day and every SoCal person knows that the roads get super slick when it rains. I was a little disappointed but oh well. I wasn't gonna race on slippery roads. That's just stupid.

Will keep you guys posted!!
If you run from a dig, be sure to run with ECT in NORMAL mode, and leave the car in auto shift. Don't manual shift.
Old 10-22-12, 10:25 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

And obviously be sure to turn traction control off.

I'm at the point on my PS2s where traction control will unnecessarily kick in way too early when applying anything > 50% throttle from a dig. For daily driving purposes it doesn't matter (I rarely apply > 50% throttle let alone 100% throttle because it's almost always unnecessary and makes me look douchey on the road), but if I'm ever in a situation where I'd like to accelerate at WOT from a dig, I turn traction control off.
Old 10-23-12, 04:32 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dmvp29
And obviously be sure to turn traction control off.

I'm at the point on my PS2s where traction control will unnecessarily kick in way too early when applying anything > 50% throttle from a dig. For daily driving purposes it doesn't matter (I rarely apply > 50% throttle let alone 100% throttle because it's almost always unnecessary and makes me look douchey on the road), but if I'm ever in a situation where I'd like to accelerate at WOT from a dig, I turn traction control off.
Doh...yeah forgot about the traction control... brain farted.
Old 10-25-12, 02:15 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Well...looking like this race won't happen. He keeps making excuses and backing down every time the opportunity arises. We'll start a pull and then he'll hit his brakes and come up with some excuse why he let off the gas or he'll say that he was only on 25% throttle when you can clearly hear the car going WOT. Then he keeps saying how the G8 GT has a ls2 corvette motor (which it doesn't) and yada yada and doesn't know how much HP he has until he looks it up. Basically he knows nothing about his car cause he's an owner's manual kinda guy. So I called him out and now he's trying to defend himself by saying that he doesn't need to research his car to prove it to himself and he knows he'll beat me....but he won't race? right...

/rant lol sorry
Old 10-25-12, 04:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Well...looking like this race won't happen. He keeps making excuses and backing down every time the opportunity arises. We'll start a pull and then he'll hit his brakes and come up with some excuse why he let off the gas or he'll say that he was only on 25% throttle when you can clearly hear the car going WOT. Then he keeps saying how the G8 GT has a ls2 corvette motor (which it doesn't) and yada yada and doesn't know how much HP he has until he looks it up. Basically he knows nothing about his car cause he's an owner's manual kinda guy. So I called him out and now he's trying to defend himself by saying that he doesn't need to research his car to prove it to himself and he knows he'll beat me....but he won't race? right...

/rant lol sorry
Well then your friend sounds like a fool. You can tell him I said that
Old 10-25-12, 04:29 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well then your friend sounds like a fool. You can tell him I said that
I laready called him out on a bunch of stuff about his car and his previous truck that he claims he had before he came into the military. Every time he sees a dodge ram he'll be like "oh yeah that's a Cummins" or "My truck was better, it was on a 3 inch lift" or "My truck had $12,000 airbag suspension" but I've never seen even a picture. On top of that, you can't tell if a truck has a Cummins engine unless you look at the engine. He got pretty upset but I was just telling him that it was getting annoying when he talked about things he didn't know about like he was an expert.
Old 10-25-12, 08:01 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

/rant lol sorry
His car has 361hp. If it is a mid2009- model then he has 355 due to the addition of 2 additional catalytic converters. He can average low 5's 0-60 if driven right with 1/4 mile times in the mid 13sec range. They both(IS350 and G8) can average 0-100 times of 12.7 seconds with the IS350 probably covering around 11 more meters in the same time, meaning you will be a car ahead of him at 100mph. Tell him that.
Old 10-25-12, 08:41 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
His car has 361hp. If it is a mid2009- model then he has 355 due to the addition of 2 additional catalytic converters. He can average low 5's 0-60 if driven right with 1/4 mile times in the mid 13sec range. They both(IS350 and G8) can average 0-100 times of 12.7 seconds with the IS350 probably covering around 11 more meters in the same time, meaning you will be a car ahead of him at 100mph. Tell him that.
I told him that and even showed him personal experiences of people on pontiac forums. He just keeps saying "haha nah its a V8 and it's nice." Annoys the crap out of me. I raced his old car (g35 sedan) before and walked him off the line and he used the excuse of having a sound system.
Old 10-26-12, 09:02 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

I told him that and even showed him personal experiences of people on pontiac forums. He just keeps saying "haha nah its a V8 and it's nice." Annoys the crap out of me. I raced his old car (g35 sedan) before and walked him off the line and he used the excuse of having a sound system.
Haha.. yeah I used to hear the standard "There is no way a 4 cylinder can beat a V8" line back when I had my low 11sec 1/4 mile Eclipse. Personalized tag said LIL4CYL

Here is a link to one of my Rockingham, NC runs

http://www.streetfire.net/video/1990...-nc_644379.htm

Quick Reply: 07 IS350 vs 09 G8 GT