IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just signed up for my first track event

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-12, 01:39 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

I just viewed the video on all 4 computers and 1 smart phone here at home, and all have the high-pitched ringing. Very odd.
Old 12-19-12, 09:47 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got the pictures from the photographer at the event. Here are a handful of my favs:

... And no, the door dent did not happen at the track... That was a parking lot hit-and-run. She's in the shop for that right now (along with some bumper and wheel repair). And I have to deal with a titanic Chevy Impala in the mean time. I miss her.
Old 12-20-12, 06:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,062 Likes on 2,459 Posts

What springs are you running? They look way too soft.
Old 12-20-12, 11:49 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Tein CS coilovers with EDFC. I left the dampening stiffness at 8/16 throughout the weekend. I probably should have fiddled with it a bit, but I didn't feel like I had developed enough skill to appreciate the difference on the track yet.

Also installed the F-Sport sway bars just a couple weeks before the event. I feel like I didn't notice as much of a difference as other people, but maybe I was just expecting too much.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 12-21-12 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-21-12, 04:53 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Yeah, you needed to play with the damper setting; that's why you got adjustables WITH EDFC...right? LOL!
Old 12-22-12, 04:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Tein CS coilovers with EDFC. I left the dampening stiffness at 8/16 throughout the weekend. I probably should have fiddled with it a bit, but I didn't feel like I had developed enough skill to appreciate the difference on the track yet.

Also installed the F-Sport sway bars just a couple weeks before the event. I feel like I didn't notice as much of a difference as other people, but maybe I was just expecting too much.
There's usually a pretty big gap between measured performance and perceived performance. Lots of people will say something feels better, but when you actually measure its performance, it's worse than stock.
Old 12-22-12, 10:33 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's usually a pretty big gap between measured performance and perceived performance. Lots of people will say something feels better, but when you actually measure its performance, it's worse than stock.
Well I do think they are better than the stock sway bars. Also, being that they were a first-party upgrade developed by Lexus engineers, I have a bit more faith in their value. Some people here who's feedback I'm more inclined to believe (such as Kurtz and GSteg) thought they was a worthwhile mod as well.

Plus, I think the sway bars were even measured to increase the car's lateral acceleration from .84g to .90g. So I still think they probably helped at least a bit, but I just didn't "feel" the difference as much as some people said they did. Could also be in part since my car was already lowered on slightly stiffer springs/shocks maybe? Or maybe I just don't have a very good sense for these things.

EDIT: One other thing is that being that this was my first time on the track, I don't know how the car felt on the track without the sway bars.
Old 12-27-12, 11:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Stiffer springs reduce the need for stiffer sway bars. When setting up a suspension, the first and most important thing to get right is the spring rate. Everything else is there as a result of this decision.

I've never seen a published test showing real world results of any aftermarket swaybar that anyone could call objective. Certainly it is possible to do better, but I do not agree the same engineers who designed the suspension also designed the F Sport parts. The business doesn't work that way. Just look at the F Sport brakes for the perfect example of what I mean - they're all Stoptech. There's nothing wrong with that, but assuming the guys in Japan who sweated the details of the suspension also designed these swaybars is a big stretch.