IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 02:07 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2012 and 2013 is the same car. No major updates. You get locked in one moar year for payments for an out going model, plus it keeps you away from the next model change 2014. I wouldn't do it.
Old 10-23-12, 02:49 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Understand one thing, a dealer survives by making money, if there was no profit in them doing a deal they wouldn't do it. STOP focusing on PAYMENT, that is how dealers sell cars. Sure, they can lower your payment, but so what? You should be looking at the total bottom line (down payments, taxes, mo payments (incl interest)). Once you do that for your current car and then do the same thing for the new car (plus what you have already paid out on your current car) you will find out you will pay more at the end of the day, and that is profit for them. Never go into a dealer with this kind of proposition, they will get you in the revolving door and you won't know what hit you. I NEVER visit a dealer's sales department unless I am ready to talk turkey, they are experts at turning lookers into buyers. And do not focus on monthly payment, more people have been put in cars by the lure of low payments than for any other reason. Keep an eye on the bottom line, that is what is important.

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-23-12 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-23-12, 05:23 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
I figured you had put down a lot of money, which is why they are offering to "lower your payment".
As I also assume you have low mileage.

Truth be told dont do it, I work at a car dealership and it's too long of an explanation for me to give right now, but trust me when I say dont do it. Unless your car is a horrible condition/high milage/crashed. Then that would be a different story.
agreed too^
Old 10-28-12, 02:25 AM
ktran99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus or its dealers are not offering anything out of the goodness of their hearts. Check out the touch screen problem most 2006-2008 IS has or will have. I am not giving Lexus or its dealers another dime. My recent email to Newport Lexus in Newport Beach.

I recently brought an IS250 into Newport Lexus for a problem with the frozen GPS touch screen. I recently bought this car as a reliable transportation for my daughter who is commuting to UCLA for her freshman year, it turned out after I got it (from a cousin who bought the car as a CPO from Longo Lexus) the GPS screen froze on us. As you are aware this is a common problem for this model (a search on Google showed many complaints about the same issue), I think Lexus should have stepped up and correct the problem. How many first-time Lexus owners swear off from owning another Lexus because if this issue and a few others with this model?

Just for your information, I own an Infiniti FX35 and the company extended the warranty to eight years on a known issue with a cracked dash-board. And this is just cosmetic compared to the frozen GPS screen which controls pretty much every user functions in the car. My wife has been in touch with Lexus customer service and was offered the replacement unit ($1900) at half price so we're in for $950 plus labor to Newport Lexus. I am not happy with this offer as I am willing to pay the labor but not for the unit itself. As an engineer myself who have worked with defense satellites (absolutely no recalls allowed here) and now at Western Digital just up the street from you (our hard drives will not fail you but if they do we'll make it right, I cannot imagine us knowing a problem that causes you and many other customers to lose their valuable documents and refuse to fix it), I know these replacement units are an easy fix to Lexus, it's a matter of replacing the screen that goes over the LCD. And then to turn around and ask people like us to fork over that kind of money for it?

I don't know if there's anything I can do at this point but I am completely turned off by this experience.
Old 10-28-12, 06:41 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't do it....your going to have the same car you have now, because nothing changed and one more year or payments...you already put 8k down in this one so unless they are going to minus that 8k from the new one overall price which you should negotiate that also then thats thwe only way you will win and i doubt they are going to let you get 2013 for a used 2012 price. so in other words...DON't DO IT
Old 10-28-12, 10:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
I would do it
It's a win win situation for both parties, with no harm.
Correct me if im wrong but there are a few people that have done that in the past, from 10-11-12's.
I'm not seeing how a whole extra year of payments is "no harm" or "win win". The dealer isn't looking out for you; they are looking to make money. We've all received letters after a few years of ownership about how our cars are in "high demand" and it's the best time to trade up. This is just a new iteration of the age old marketing ploy.
Old 10-28-12, 11:25 AM
Royal620
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not seeing how a whole extra year of payments is "no harm" or "win win". The dealer isn't looking out for you; they are looking to make money. We've all received letters after a few years of ownership about how our cars are in "high demand" and it's the best time to trade up. This is just a new iteration of the age old marketing ploy.

Originally Posted by iRyan
Don't do it....your going to have the same car you have now, because nothing changed and one more year or payments...you already put 8k down in this one so unless they are going to minus that 8k from the new one overall price which you should negotiate that also then thats thwe only way you will win and i doubt they are going to let you get 2013 for a used 2012 price. so in other words...DON't DO IT

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Understand one thing, a dealer survives by making money, if there was no profit in them doing a deal they wouldn't do it. STOP focusing on PAYMENT, that is how dealers sell cars. Sure, they can lower your payment, but so what? You should be looking at the total bottom line (down payments, taxes, mo payments (incl interest)). Once you do that for your current car and then do the same thing for the new car (plus what you have already paid out on your current car) you will find out you will pay more at the end of the day, and that is profit for them. Never go into a dealer with this kind of proposition, they will get you in the revolving door and you won't know what hit you. I NEVER visit a dealer's sales department unless I am ready to talk turkey, they are experts at turning lookers into buyers. And do not focus on monthly payment, more people have been put in cars by the lure of low payments than for any other reason. Keep an eye on the bottom line, that is what is important.
Originally Posted by istarzan
2012 and 2013 is the same car. No major updates. You get locked in one moar year for payments for an out going model, plus it keeps you away from the next model change 2014. I wouldn't do it.

Thanks for your support, I think i have a clue now of what to do. I have an appointment with lexus regarding this trade. If they count my $8000 towards the 2013 model, Im in with the deal. If they don't work a deal in my benefit then I'll drive out.
Win-Win for me Either I get the new year car with a bet more value or Ill just keep rolling on my f-sport.

Thank you guys for clarifying this topic.. I'll let you guys know on the final decision.

* If I do go with the trade, I might choose Tungsten Pearl instead of Obsidian F-sport.
Old 10-28-12, 11:43 AM
KRSONE
Driver School Candidate

I figured you had put down a lot of money, which is why they are offering to "lower your payment".

Truth be told dont do it, I work at a car dealership and it's too long of an explanation for me to give right now, but trust me when I say dont do it. Unless your car is a horrible condition/high milage/crashed. Then that would be a different story.

How would horrible condition/ milage / crashed benefit him?

I was in the same situation two months ago, once i reached my 10,000 miles they called asking me for a trade. I rejected it because just a couple months before I was rear ended. Won't my accident affect the trade?
Old 10-28-12, 11:52 AM
Royal620
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
I checked Manheim and there are only 2 sales in CA so I can see why they want your car and many others they have called. They NEED your car so the ball is in your court if you want the new model that bad go in and put up a fight for it. The non F-Sport RWD vs of the IS250 is averaging 30k at the auctions. I would be curious as to what they said your car is worth or "may" be worth. They probably offered to purchase your car out right also.

When I was a Used Car Mgr they played lots of games over promising just to get people in the door. They focused on what year car they needed and this didn't have anything to do with a new model approaching. They would say the car was worth more then it actually was and make up reasons once they saw the car in person why it wasn't worth what they said over the phone. The list goes on. Few with good credit and equity in their car did walk with a decent deal. Many did not because credit was worse, they didn't take care of their car, cars were much older they were targeting at the time. Bottom line they play games just walk and don't look back lol.

Some like having a fresh new car but with a new model approaching the 2gen will take a market hit regardless if you keep your current car or trade it for a brand new model. I would look at what your future plans are. Would you keep this car past its pay off or do you tend to get a new car every three years or so? Just make sure its good for you and you put up a fight at the dealer should you move forward knowing they want your car to help with the used car department. It also doesn't hurt to push a new unit.

If you have any questions your welcome to PM me if you don't care to post anything publicly. I can help with numbers and what they are telling you on your current car. Not sure what a good deal is on a new IS so others could probably help out there.
Now that I know somewhat of how lexus plays their game I wont go with the deal, unless I see a benefit towards me financially.

Thanks bros, if I ever come across any further questions Ill make sure to PM either of you.
Old 10-28-12, 04:07 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

I wouldn't do it... You'll end up with another year of payments for basically the same car.
Old 10-28-12, 07:21 PM
cmky3
Driver School Candidate

In California you'd be losing out on about $2500 of ttl but it looks like it's more like $1k in NC (assuming ~$35k sales price)

I really don't see how this is a good idea - the $1k in ttl you paid last year is going up in smoke and they probably need to make another $1-2k from somewhere to make this worth their while. Maybe they can get all $3k out of some other sucker but more likely they are expecting to get some of it out of you.

[edited because I initially thought this was an IS-F not an IS250 F-Sport].