IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MY 2nd DIY - intuitive parking assistant

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12 | 01:18 PM
kubakj
Rookie

Default MY 2nd DIY - intuitive parking assistant

This weekend I'm doing my 2nd DIY - intuitive parking assistant for IS250. Parts are original for IS250 bought in Europe and looking to integrate it with my IS250.

Need few answers:

- is it easy to take rear and back bumper off? Is is east to put it back ?
- by any chance bumpers have marking where to drill wholes ?
- is there any video / manual how to take bumpers on and off?
- do you think I will do everything in 1 day or I should split it in two days?
Old 10-23-12 | 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

well here's how to remove the bumper

but not sure how you are going to integrate Park Assist. The dummy button is easy, but how are you going to wire it to the navi to show on the screen? If the car does not have PA then it does not have the sensors nor does it have pre drilled. You'll either have to buy a new bumper with the PA holes or drill your own.
Old 10-23-12 | 01:59 PM
istarzan
Instructor

I have oem park assist. What he said.
Old 10-23-12 | 02:05 PM
kubakj
Rookie

I will drill holes, but isnt bumper on other side have marks where to drill or not?
Old 10-23-12 | 07:09 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Nope. Because the park assist bumper and non park assist are 2 different bumpers. It's not like they took a regular bumper and drilled holes for it at the factory. I've seen the inside of non park assist bumpers. No markers. You could buy park assist pre painted bumpers from Sewell however. Search the forums. There was a guy wanting to do this a year ago, but not sure if he ever did.
Old 10-23-12 | 07:31 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Istarzan, every bumper even if it doesnt come with park assist has the marking of where the holes would be on a car with park assist. Just like every trunk, wether the car has navi or not, has the cutout marking for the reverse camera.

Bumpers are all made together and before they are even assigned to a vehicle. They are all made the same way. If it is assigned to a vehicle with park assist then they cut out the markings, if its not, then the bumper doesnt get cut however the marking will still be there.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-12 | 07:57 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Istarzan, every bumper even if it doesnt come with park assist has the marking of where the holes would be on a car with park assist. Just like every trunk, wether the car has navi or not, has the cutout marking for the reverse camera.

Bumpers are all made together and before they are even assigned to a vehicle. They are all made the same way. If it is assigned to a vehicle with park assist then they cut out the markings, if its not, then the bumper doesnt get cut however the marking will still be there.

Good luck.
yeah Vroomin is right, when I bought my 2011 f-sport bumper with option parking assist, the 1st bumper they sent me didn't have the parking assist holes drilled, but when I checked the back on the bumper it did have the printed marks where the sensors holes support to be drilled, and I sent it back to Sewell due to it crack during the transit, and Sewell send me the new bumper which has the sensors holes drilled at the marks on the back of the bumper. so every factory bumpers has the option marks to be drill if needed for the option
Old 10-23-12 | 08:08 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

I have seen two different ways of installing this. One is a European system that is standalone. The other way is to install all of the OEM parts and interface with the built in ECU

I wish you the best of luck. I was going to do this as well, but traded for a car that had it from the factory
Old 10-23-12 | 08:40 PM
kubakj
Rookie

I will post pics of my DIY and lets see how it goes.

Is mounting bumpers difficult?
Old 10-23-12 | 09:14 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

not to be negative but if your worried about taking the bumpers off and mounting then its gonna be really hard...id be more worried about the wiring. Or are you simply just trying to install sensors so it looks like you have the option installed? I know someone on here did that which just seems like a big waste of cash but to each his own.
Old 10-24-12 | 08:53 AM
kubakj
Rookie

Originally Posted by robertrios
not to be negative but if your worried about taking the bumpers off and mounting then its gonna be really hard...id be more worried about the wiring. Or are you simply just trying to install sensors so it looks like you have the option installed? I know someone on here did that which just seems like a big waste of cash but to each his own.
wiring is very easy. All parts + manual what to do is included and basically its plug n play. I need sensors to work (beep when close to an object).