IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got My Turbo, Now Shopping Out The Rest...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 03:07 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Likwid XTC
I've been here a pretty long time and not that people want to discourage you or negative. It's just that some of the supercharged is350's didn't produce big numbers for the money. Obviously you know fuel management is hard cause your working with someone. To a lot of us even me don't see wasting that much r n d and money for small gains when the end result is less power then a isf (could be wrong). I would love to see one done , goodluck and hope you don't dump too much money before its over.
Although its forever the truth, there's a better upgrade IS for more power, I still like to remind people that a full Wald authentic kit is ~$3k + paint, authentic wheels are anywhere from $2k-over $5k. Worth the money in perspective to other expensive mods in my book. I'm sure he knows the limitations for the most part and isn't doing it to b the fastest, but to be different and meet a personal goal, as was my previous boost attempt.
Old 10-25-12, 03:40 PM
wastedwil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck OP. i would like to see the result.
Old 10-25-12, 04:16 PM
Mikaveli
Rookie

suscribed want to see where this goes
Old 10-25-12, 04:50 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey, good luck on your project. Even though others have failed, doesn't mean you can't try! Sounds like you have good parts and help.
Old 10-25-12, 05:28 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Good for you - this path will enlighten you and def be nothing short of "busy." Will you be divulging your plans along the way? I aired all my trials and tribulations (d.chappelle) along the S/C journey I took.

If your satisfaction comes from mastering something not many have attempted then you're in luck!! If your in this for numbers then you will ultimately be disappointed. I guarantee you can run a rear mounted turbo setup to single digit PSI but you will forever struggle an ongoing battle with the stock ecu. The fact that your talking piggy back makes me assume you are not yet very familiar with open vs closed loop tuning and how/what this car strives to accomplish. You can put larger injectors in all day long but what good is more fuel going to do if you can only control X% of the time..not to mention the other variables in the equation.

I would work your hardware layout first and eventually get the car running with a 3psi waste gate spring. Observe the wacky output and study what your a/f looks like under various conditions. I would highly advise against the piggy and injection until you grasp the stock ecu trends at many levels of output and esp at a few pounds of boost. I would luv to see a data log and give my $.02 should you ask for it! Good luck, keep the updates coming!!

I have many questions but I suspect you'll share without needing to be asked! Myself and another forum member with 2 user ids mapped out where a rear mount turbo with various piping would serve best but plans change and people do too I guess...

Edit....
Ok, Reread your post and Good, you are not trying to use different injectors! Lol

However, tuning direct injection is like...hmm...I don't know how to put it.. A league of their own

You mentioned running right off to the dyno after installing this stuff. I would go out on a limb and say I don't care who's doing your R&D you need to push your dyno out at least a few weeks after careful data logging!!!

Last edited by mikellucci; 10-25-12 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-25-12, 05:51 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just swap the engine with the gs430 or whatever engine the guy in AFRICA had in his IS and twin turbo it, wallah, you'll have a bad mamajama...just my one cent, but good luck with the build and I'll wait until thread reaches 10 pages to check back

BTW prepare for hate, because some people dont like to see others do things they dont have the ***** or $$ to do....
Old 10-25-12, 10:01 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool project. Oh boy thats an expensive turbo.
Old 10-25-12, 11:31 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Would be cool to see someone get this done. Not sure the reason for spending $6k on the turbo if thats the actual cost of it. I still think the IS 300 is the best project car if you want boost. Much easier with the 2J platform.
Old 10-26-12, 08:48 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
i'm surprised Kurtz hasn't chimed in on this thread yet.

just saying.

I see somethings haven't changed over here
Old 10-26-12, 08:58 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

It would be nice for a sensible kit to be developed that could be reliable and produce power levels worth even paying for. If the kit is going to cost $5000+, like people have said before, you might as well get an IS-F for the price difference.

The issue I see arising is as mentioned, the OP stated his boost levels will be in the 5-7psi range... people have been there, done that. No major power gains have been had from it. Did it make the car "funner"? Yes, but the cost/hp ratio just isn't there.
The problem is that(the IS350's) have a compression ratio of 12:1. The ONLY way to effectively put a lot of boost power out of the motor is to lower the compression to the 9-9.5:1 range. This can only be done by thicker head gaskets(which I don't believe will lower enough) or lower compression pistons. Which we have seen in other threads, the IS pistons are not your "standard" design.

So IMO, for major boosted, RELIABLE hp gains in the IS, it would not be cheap. Piston swap, fuel management, turbo kit etc. And by the time you put this cost into the vehicle, you would be better off with an IS-F with NOS, or even a GT500 Shelby and shoot for the moon with mod HP.

Maybe I am wrong.. if I am... smack mah head... i won't get mad. And OP I hope something good DOES come of this, but for a given amount of boost/fuel, an engine will make a given amount of HP... and 5-7 just won't do it on our cars.
Old 10-27-12, 06:04 PM
fitguy913
Rookie

Question fellas... If the direct injection motor in the 250 is such a hurdle to jump, how did they guys get around it when they created the ARMA supercharger kit?

When we get into it more, we'll have an idea of how to proceed as far as the DI. We also anticipate substantial gains in HP and retaining a decent MPG under normal/light driving conditions.

Anyone have a chance to see how ProCharger is handling DI? Throttle body spacer with 2 fuel injectors built into it. Interesting approach. One of my guys from Aeromotive used to work for ProCharger (also based in my hometown by the way).
Old 10-27-12, 06:11 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fitguy913
Anyone have a chance to see how ProCharger is handling DI? Throttle body spacer with 2 fuel injectors built into it. Interesting approach. One of my guys from Aeromotive used to work for ProCharger (also based in my hometown by the way).

Did you even read some of the replies? Why don't you search Procharger? You are missing very obvious facts here. Kind of disappointing to say the least. Sounds like your putting a lot of faith in people who know a lot about fueling but nothing about this motor and ecu

There's NO Procharger kit for this car. It's a lousy C1 and C2 centrifugal blower with straight cut gears that ATI produces...they wouldn't know the first thing about this car other them their C series blower physically being able to mount

Search Procharger, arma, custom supercharger

Last edited by mikellucci; 10-27-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 07:55 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

What mike said... Doesn't sound like you know the first thing about boosting this car... :/ but I still wish you luck. My suggestion is to just run the low boost, 5-7psi and call it a day. Further developments is just money burned for minimal extra gains.
Old 10-27-12, 11:25 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

The direct injection issue is being able to properly control the fuel. Without controlling the fuel, the most reliable boost you can run is around 6psi. And you will only net about 40rwhp out of that. If you can get some fuel control in there and up the boost with added fuel, you STILL have the problem with the high OEM compression ratio of the motor. Most boosted applications work best in the 9-9.5:1 area. And you would have to modify the IS engine to achieve this. So, it will not be cheap, nor worth the cost in the long run. That is the issue that has plagued this car from the onset. Trust me, if someone could have come out with an application that really works for this car, it WOULD have been done by now.
Old 10-28-12, 07:23 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man this is something which takes a lot of calculating, a lot of labor a lot of brains which all equal to minimal gain...however I say go for it if you really want to give your self a project to do on the car. I believe it's going to be hard to get the car at a steady 3- maybe 7 lbs with fuel/air-pressure all running perfect.

If it is all calcualted and ECU setup correctly it can be a good project with descent gains. I am willing to see the outcome of this project, However if you have money to spend I would say try doing the 2JZ-GTE build for your car that's where you will see real power in your IS

Quick Reply: Got My Turbo, Now Shopping Out The Rest...