IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got My Turbo, Now Shopping Out The Rest...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-12, 10:07 AM
fitguy913
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys act like I build turbos for this car everyday! Ha! Don't worry about how I spend my money or my time. This is my own personal goal. So no matter how lofty the goal is, things will be learned along the way. I've got literally the best fuel management parts manufacturer in the aftermarket industry behind me and the only person who makes self-contained, variable-vein turbo working with me too. My guys are at SEMA right now and I hope they come back with some good news with they meet up with Mark from Split Second on the ECU end.

Also, I know ProCharger doesn't mess with our car. But they are creating workaround for the DI system with their superchargers for the V6 Camaro's and CTS's. That's all I'm saying.
Old 10-28-12, 12:49 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fitguy913,

You are my hero! The specs on the turbo are awesome. Which model did you get? Too fun!!
Old 10-28-12, 01:47 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might do better not entertaining the comments and just make it work, then come back with pics, vids, and other trash to throw in the doubters faces, although their intent is to forewarn you. Just sayin, because we're at about 5-6 pages of hot air...do your thing bro and keep hope alive....
Old 10-28-12, 03:21 PM
cwtt
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to run the HKS Fcon Vpro on my Supra and I loved it. You could piggyback the oem ecu with it. You also could try a very powerful ecu called Life ecu. It CAN control direct injection.

www.liferacing.com
Old 10-28-12, 07:58 PM
kwikshift
Rookie

Subscribed! Fired up to see the end result!!
Old 10-30-12, 07:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
i'm surprised Kurtz hasn't chimed in on this thread yet.

just saying.
Kurtz has been in Europe with really poor internet access until yesterday

If the OP only plans to run 5-7 psi he'll have no problems, there's a guy who has been doing that with an old LMS kit and a MAPECU3 in Greece on a 250 for a while now without issue.... (and heck, folks have run 5-6 psi on the bone stock ecu iin a 350). It's north of 7 psi that you run into very very significant, and expensive, obsticales.

However, he'll end up spending way more than the cost difference between a 250 and 350, and still make less power than a stock 350 does.

This still made sense for the guy in Greece since they don't sell the 350 there, not so much for the OP who is in the US though.

Now, if the OP doesn't care he's going to spend 2-3 times more than the 250->350 price difference, and end up making 20-30 less hp than a stock 350, more power to him... though he could've gotten similar results for closer to 2x than 3x the cost going with a supercharger than a turbo, which has already been done on the car... and at only 5-7 psi he's not gaining much going turbo over supercharger but he's upping the complexity of the overall system.

Kudos to the vendors helping him do it, but if they expect any significant market for the setup they're developing, given the cost-to-gain ratio, especially on a 250, they'll be sorely disappointed.
Old 10-30-12, 08:17 AM
fitguy913
Rookie

Kurtz, welcome back! The two vendors helping with the buildout are actually owned by friends/clients of mine. I know for a fact Aerocharger hates dealing with automotive applications because their niche is snowmobiles and ATVs. Typically Brad won't even sell a turbo off one of his shelves unless it's going in a Polaris, a Harley or a RZR. As far as Aeromotive, their owner was the one who inspired me to do this during one of our sessions. We were actually close to giving up and hadn't it been for Aerocharger, probably would have.

Is the guy from Greece a CL member? How do I get in touch with him to pick his brain?
Old 10-30-12, 08:22 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fitguy913
Is the guy from Greece a CL member? How do I get in touch with him to pick his brain?
He's on here, check his build thread also. His screen name is Pepos. He's helped me out a ton lately.

PS: Totally missed youre doing this on a 250. Props for doing it and being different. Make a nice build out of the car after this project and the turbo will be icing on the cake. I dont know who really races/tracks in an ISx50 anyways (in a serious, competitive form. I've Autocrossed but just for fun), so HP numbers are still pointless to me, there's always someone faster, whether it be an IS-F, or just a whole different car in general. Do it just to do it, that's the fun in it i believe

Last edited by heyarms; 10-30-12 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-30-12, 08:43 AM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Originally Posted by fitguy913
Sit back and watch. Crack some beers open while you're at it. It's gonna be 6 to 8 weeks before we have everything ready to go.

My question for you Hondadna4, when was the last time you saw someone post a picture of a $6,000 turbo that they had? Surely this signals that I am earnest in my desires to put a turbo on my car!
I guess I am supposed to be impressed of a $6,000 turbo...... Its just numbers if I would turbo something it would be a 350 not a 250. But hey more "power" to you no pun intended I also have a 250 I like the reliability of it and not having to have massive amount of issues down the line. Hot air is right for six pages but nonetheless I will sit back and wait if this sinks or swims.
Old 10-30-12, 09:30 AM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by projectdna
i'm surprised Kurtz hasn't chimed in on this thread yet.

just saying.
This is golden lol
Old 10-30-12, 11:25 AM
2010Lex
Driver School Candidate

Subscribed
Old 10-30-12, 12:26 PM
fitguy913
Rookie

Originally Posted by heyarms
He's on here, check his build thread also. His screen name is Pepos. He's helped me out a ton lately.

PS: Totally missed youre doing this on a 250. Props for doing it and being different. Make a nice build out of the car after this project and the turbo will be icing on the cake. I dont know who really races/tracks in an ISx50 anyways (in a serious, competitive form. I've Autocrossed but just for fun), so HP numbers are still pointless to me, there's always someone faster, whether it be an IS-F, or just a whole different car in general. Do it just to do it, that's the fun in it i believe
heyarms, you're the antithesis of a hater! Keep up the positivity! I have a million reasons for keeping my car and putting a turbo on it and just 1 for getting rid of it and that is for ease. But this is going to be fun. So maybe I only gain about 80hp. That's 80hp more than anyone one the streets will expect my car to have. But I'm going to enjoy the challenge of doing this.

The only person you have to compete in life with is yourself. If you can't beat yourself, you can't beat anybody.
Old 10-30-12, 06:52 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

So, as I assume most of the gurus know that "psi" is just a number...but it depends on the size of the turbo that really matters. 6 psi on a T25 versus a BB 6262 is a totally different ballgame.

OP, what specs can you release on that turbo size? Trim? Inducers/exducers? Hotside/coldside?
Old 10-30-12, 09:10 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
So, as I assume most of the gurus know that "psi" is just a number...but it depends on the size of the turbo that really matters. 6 psi on a T25 versus a BB 6262 is a totally different ballgame.

OP, what specs can you release on that turbo size? Trim? Inducers/exducers? Hotside/coldside?
I believe 6psi is 6psi regardless of the turbo... where the size comes into play is the efficiency at higher boost levels. A smaller turbo will not be able to maintain the same airflow(say 20psi for example) as a larger one. 6psi could probably be achieved by the smaller turbos without any issues.
Old 10-31-12, 12:17 AM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

haha, good to see another ISX50 enthusiast in KS!

Quick Reply: Got My Turbo, Now Shopping Out The Rest...