IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brake Light LED on Roof Spoiler for ISX50

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 09:44 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Light LED on Roof Spoiler for ISX50

I've seen only 2-3 main roof spoilers for our IS's but was wondering has anyone ever done a custom setup where the 3rd brake light is built into the actual roof spoiler for the sleek clean look? It would look real classy and disable the oem 3rd brake light and have no cutout for the tint on the back windshield. If its possible, how so...I'll be the guinea pig for this one , below are pictures of examples of what I'm trying to achieve
Attached Thumbnails Brake Light LED on Roof Spoiler for ISX50-led.jpg   Brake Light LED on Roof Spoiler for ISX50-led-2.jpg  
Old 10-25-12, 10:10 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That would cool

Haven't seen it done yet- I'd say go for it!
Old 10-25-12, 10:34 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oooh very cool. Any ideas on how you're going to run power out to the top of the roof?
Old 10-25-12, 10:43 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 10-26-12, 05:35 AM
ms2619
Lead Lap

LMAOOOO^^^^^ im wondering if I can get a roof spoiler off another car that has it built already, im going to start measuring the back windshield and see the dimentions and see how I can run the power. This looks like a job for RDIS250 since hes the DIY King !!!!
Old 10-26-12, 09:04 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been pondering the same thing but using an OEM LED bar from the Lexus LS. I personaly think getting the LED bar into the roof spoiler would be easy the hard part would be routing the wire to connect it to the brake lights.
Old 10-26-12, 11:29 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

cant you just reroute the wires to the third brake light so when the brakes are applied, both lights up?
Old 10-26-12, 11:52 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by rookieIS
cant you just reroute the wires to the third brake light so when the brakes are applied, both lights up?
that's how I was thinking of doing it, the issue is routing the LED wires from the roof spoiler into the car without any wires showing.
Old 10-26-12, 01:52 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ms2619
and have no cutout for the tint on the back windshield.
your tint installer was lazy and didnt remove the light...but i like your idea about moving the light to the roof like the LS
Old 10-26-12, 01:57 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it a lot, I'm interested in how the wiring plays out. Good luck and keep us updated
Old 10-26-12, 09:06 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B16da9
that's how I was thinking of doing it, the issue is routing the LED wires from the roof spoiler into the car without any wires showing.
Yup like B16 said, its all about pulling it off by making it look clean. You don't wires hanging around anywhere or water leaking inside. I'm going to try to figure out how other cars have it done and somehow do it on this lol.
Old 10-27-12, 04:09 PM
es808
Pole Position

I was taking a look at the back window area and the only way I can see doing it (without poking a hole around the window) is to run a small wire in the channel on either side of the window. Then, into the trunk and finish your wiring to the brake lights.

The wire would need to be just the right side to press-in snugly into the channel so it doesn't move around or come out. The channel looks pretty deep so I don't think that it'll be that noticeable unless you're looking for it.

Drilling a hole and sealing it with silicone just seems like a bad idea. I'm sure it can be done and looks cleaner but you have to be 100% sure that it's sealed up. And just like with headlights, you never know until you get a leak inside.

I didn't take a look inside the trunk so I can't really tell if a hole needs to be drilled in there. Maybe someone can chime in on this.

It'll be interesting to find out other ideas on this as well.
Old 10-29-12, 09:27 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by es808
I was taking a look at the back window area and the only way I can see doing it (without poking a hole around the window) is to run a small wire in the channel on either side of the window. Then, into the trunk and finish your wiring to the brake lights.

The wire would need to be just the right side to press-in snugly into the channel so it doesn't move around or come out. The channel looks pretty deep so I don't think that it'll be that noticeable unless you're looking for it.

Drilling a hole and sealing it with silicone just seems like a bad idea. I'm sure it can be done and looks cleaner but you have to be 100% sure that it's sealed up. And just like with headlights, you never know until you get a leak inside.

I didn't take a look inside the trunk so I can't really tell if a hole needs to be drilled in there. Maybe someone can chime in on this.

It'll be interesting to find out other ideas on this as well.

That's what I was thinking of doing it. I looked into it further and the way the LS has it done is that the LED assembly actually sits in a channel on the LS which lets you run the wife inside the car and sealing it with a grommet.

However since the IS has no such Chanel the only other solution would be to run a small gauge wire and running on the side of the glass along the edge of the glass and the pillar. However doing this would leave the wire exposed to the elements and I would not be happy with that.
Old 10-29-12, 03:21 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

i would like to try this too
Old 10-29-12, 05:53 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

before I opened this thread I was kinda SMH, thinkin it'll look cheap. but as soon as I saw the first pic, I thought it looks great. I really think you should do it!

Quick Reply: Brake Light LED on Roof Spoiler for ISX50