IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got into an accident today. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 09:34 PM
Abahusain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got into an accident today. Need advice.

Hello CL,

I have been watching this forum for over a year now and finally got the chance to ask for your advice guys. I drive 2011 IS 250 F sport that i purchased last february. I got hit today from the back on the 405. Its not that bad its only few scratches and holes. The only thing that im pissed about is he only got a small scratch on his car LOL. They guy was with his wife and he told me that he would prefer to do it cash instead of going through insurance and raising his premium. I took photos of his insurance card, ID + Cell phone + work Tel # and my car and his car. We agreed that i get him an estimate with the costs from a body shop I chose and he will give me the amount in cash. I am sure that I will need to change the rear bumper, the only thing is that i dont know any good places to do the work @ in SoCal. I live in Marina del rey. Also, What do you think is better? get an unpainted bumper and let the body shop do the paint ? or Order the bumper from Sewel online and let them ship it to the body shop already painted? I need your advice guys. Here is a picture of the rear bumper.

Thanks !

Last edited by Abahusain; 10-26-12 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 09:41 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if this counts as insurance fraud, but its highly frown upon on this forum.

The best bodyshops to have work done at are all located in LA. You can check out the regional forum to find reviews on which shop you like best. For example, Platinum VIP is highly regarded.

If your going to do it in cash, set whatever price you want. If he says no, then say lets go through insurance. Why would you give him the bare minimum estimate; he didn't do you a favor by rear ending you.

Just to help break it down for you, the bumper with paint from sewell is around $600, im going to say its $1000 from a bodyshop. Foam bumpers and stuff is another $200, so say $400. It's impossible to calculate any hidden damages. Depreciation value is also a factor, imagine if your going to try to sell the car later and a buyer sees that the paint doesn't match. Would your buyer believe you that it was a small rear end, or that your trying to hide a much bigger problem.

Base upon that, I would give him an estimate of minimum $1400. That way you don't get screwed over in the long run. And if there's extra change left, you can get a lip kit or something.
Old 10-26-12, 09:50 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

remove your rear bumper and have it fixed. if you replace it you loose the vin tag and it will cost you when you sell or trade it in. no need for a new bumper IMO.
Old 10-26-12, 10:01 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
remove your rear bumper and have it fixed. if you replace it you loose the vin tag and it will cost you when you sell or trade it in. no need for a new bumper IMO.
x2

Don't forget the Lexus rear bumper protection film I think I see that's on your car. Put that in the price too! If they don't agree to it, go to insurance, its really not worth the hassle.
Old 10-26-12, 10:33 PM
wastedwil
Driver School Candidate

go with the insurance.
Old 10-26-12, 11:09 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think there is a vin tag on bumpers. In any case, I'd recommend getting a quote from the most expensive body shop you can find, give him the invoice. THEN, order new bumper painted from Sewell, read the forum to install yourself. Pocket extra cash and go buy some mods.
Old 10-26-12, 11:09 PM
Abahusain
Driver School Candidate

do you think they can fix and make it look as brand new?
Old 10-26-12, 11:11 PM
amilkar350
Rookie

What kind of car was he driving? id go woth insurance, he shouldnt be driving close enough to hit u. Do it the right way
Old 10-26-12, 11:11 PM
Abahusain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by istarzan
I don't think there is a vin tag on bumpers. In any case, I'd recommend getting a quote from the most expensive body shop you can find, give him the invoice. THEN, order new bumper painted from Sewell, read the forum to install yourself. Pocket extra cash and go buy some mods.
that would be great! got the link by any chance?
Old 10-26-12, 11:12 PM
Abahusain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amilkar350
What kind of car was he driving? id go woth insurance, he shouldnt be driving close enough to hit u. Do it the right way
A 95 lincoln town car. Those old cars dont get damaged lol!
Old 10-26-12, 11:15 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Abahusain
that would be great! got the link by any chance?
I assume yous is an 09. The bumpers are the same for 09 and up anyway. Make sure to login with your clublexus ID to get discount.:

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2009/4912.html
Old 10-26-12, 11:19 PM
Abahusain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by istarzan
I assume yous is an 09. The bumpers are the same for 09 and up anyway. Make sure to login with your clublexus ID to get discount.:

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2009/4912.html
Mine is 2011 F sport is250, would it make a difference between 11 and 09 bumpers? I see almost a $100 difference in the price.
Old 10-26-12, 11:23 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Insurance, I wouldnt trust that. and i hope you got a police report....
Old 10-26-12, 11:31 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Abahusain
Mine is 2011 F sport is250, would it make a difference between 11 and 09 bumpers? I see almost a $100 difference in the price.
Don't know why there is a price difference. But 09-12 are all the same rear bumpers, even F Sport. It might be with or without parking assist holes.
Old 10-26-12, 11:44 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

If I were to do cash, I would expect the full amount of the repair, money to rent a car while the car is in for repair, and about 3000 in settlement for pain and suffering which you will probably feel tomorrow. Most likely the other party isnt going to be willing to hand over that much money. Another option, is to get a lawyer and kick back. The lawyer will deal with all paper work, get your car repaired, get you the rental, and get you a chiropracter. The lawyer should not collect any payment untill you get a settlement which the lawyer will get a cut of. Thats the better alternative.

Quick Reply: Got into an accident today. Need advice.