IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weekend = ruined.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 07:45 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soap
I was asking where it happened because maybe they have surveillance cameras around? I'm sure you already thought about this.
Oh, yes, it was in a parking garage. I asked, but apparently they only have cameras monitoring the entrance and exit, and since I don't know exactly when it happened, that won't do me much good.
Old 11-12-12, 08:02 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Also, here's a couple slightly better daytime pics.
Attached Thumbnails Weekend = ruined.-imag0150.jpg   Weekend = ruined.-imag0151.jpg  
Old 11-12-12, 08:06 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

that would definitely take more than just a PDR =(
Old 11-12-12, 09:11 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go to a body shop to get estimate than contact insurance co. Thats more then $500. Maybe look for a door in a wrecking yard.
Old 11-12-12, 09:38 AM
Boostd
Driver

That will need paint work and blending to fix. That sucks man... sorry about your luck. Makes me keep parking in BFE to avoid these things. People just don't care and they were probably driving a big old tank that they care nothing about.
Old 11-12-12, 10:57 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgr7
I would go to a body shop to get estimate than contact insurance co. Thats more then $500. Maybe look for a door in a wrecking yard.
Really? You think it's bad enough to require a new door??? It seems like it's just cosmetic damage to me. You don't think PDR + touch up could get it looking pretty good again?

Originally Posted by Boostd
That will need paint work and blending to fix. That sucks man... sorry about your luck. Makes me keep parking in BFE to avoid these things. People just don't care and they were probably driving a big old tank that they care nothing about.
Yeah, it sucks... but what's done is done. I just hope I can get it looking at least close to new for a reasonable price.
Old 11-12-12, 11:56 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Really? You think it's bad enough to require a new door??? It seems like it's just cosmetic damage to me. You don't think PDR + touch up could get it looking pretty good again?

Yeah, it sucks... but what's done is done. I just hope I can get it looking at least close to new for a reasonable price.
PDR won't be able to get that bend in the crease by the mirror. I think even a body shop may say that the labour to get that bend out will be more than replacing the door outright. Try to scour the wreck yards for a donor.
Old 11-12-12, 12:09 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

*sigh* Guess I'm probably gonna have to file a claim then... I wonder if they're gonna want a police report or something.

Hope it doesn't raise my premium too much.

It sucks how easily repair costs pile up.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 11-12-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 12:14 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about the damage. But I think the best bet would be to go thru insurance. The damage looks significant enough. Good luck on the repairs and keep everyone posted.
Old 11-12-12, 12:19 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch, best bet is to take it to a few shops for various estimates and see what actions they recommend.

FWIW, a friend had similar/worse damage (dragged car against concrete parking garage pole) where he had deep scratches down to the metal from the front to rear doors. Shop repaired panels but drillingholes and pulling them back out and minimal use of bondo. Total cost came to $800, so i would expect your damage to hopefully be less.
Old 11-12-12, 12:25 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice and consolation, guys. Like I was getting at in my last post, it always amazes me how quickly the costs for these repairs adds up. I guess that's why almost any real accident seems to total a car.

So I looked up what I think is the door panel on sewell's website. If replacing it is my best bet, is part 67112 all that I would need here? Obviously I would need to get it painted, too, but if the panel itself is "only" $236 with the CL discount, it might be my best bet. After labor and such, though, I'm sure I'm still going to be well past the $500 deductible (anything more than $750 then I think it will only make sense to file a claim).

Here's the listing for the part I'm talking about:
http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S350-2007.html

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Ouch, best bet is to take it to a few shops for various estimates and see what actions they recommend.

FWIW, a friend had similar/worse damage (dragged car against concrete parking garage pole) where he had deep scratches down to the metal from the front to rear doors. Shop repaired panels but drillingholes and pulling them back out and minimal use of bondo. Total cost came to $800, so i would expect your damage to hopefully be less.
That's good info. Thanks. Was it on an IS also? Did the $800 get him a good quality job?
Old 11-12-12, 03:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This will not be a cheap repair, don't know if a new door is required but substantial paintwork will be needed if they use the existing door which I suspect they will. Even if you get a new door there is all the work to transfer the window, inside panels etc to the new unit. I'd say you are looking at $1,000 to $1,200 minimum if they get the dent out of the door and repaint. Looks like an insurance claim for sure.
Old 11-12-12, 03:21 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Damn. More bad news. :/

Does anyone know if the part I linked to above is all that I would need to replace? If so, it seems like that may be cheaper than the labor required to repair the dent.
Old 11-12-12, 04:36 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Do you have comp on your insurance? This would be the way to go as it shouldn't raise your rates.
Old 11-12-12, 06:07 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgr7
Do you have comp on your insurance? This would be the way to go as it shouldn't raise your rates.
Comp on my insurance? What do you mean?

I have comprehensive insurance if that is what you're asking.

Quick Reply: Weekend = ruined.