Changing filter on a K&N intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 05:39 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Changing filter on a K&N intake

So I have a K&N Typhoon intake for my IS250

I am so sick and tired of the oiling, it's a PITA to do as well takes a whole day out of me where I cannot go anywhere with the filter sitting off the car drying.

With that said, I want to change the filter to a dry filter.
I've already did some research and found both AEM and AFE make a dry filter that fit.

Anybody have any idea which is superior? AEM Dry Flow or AFE Dry Pro S? The Dry Pro S is what Carson recommends with the JoeZ pipe, as well is what the Takeda intake comes with. Overall the AFE looks more popular, but AEM is an older company with more years of experience?

The reason I'm doing this because I don't want to buy another intake (such as Takeda) and then have to sell mine. It's a lot of time involved and financially not very smart; e.g. sell my intake for 150-200, and buy again for 300+ (things in Canada are expensive) when I can simply buy a replacement dry filter for $50-70.

Also I don't want to go with JoeZ for cheaper than an intake. 5WHP doesn't make a difference in real life and can't be felt physically so I'm going to go with sound

Thanks
Old 11-13-12, 07:55 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you on cleaning and oiling the K&N being a PITA, but it is only required every 50,000 miles (unless you live on a dirt road)....... As for the dry filters, changing them is quicker, but you are buying a new filter each time. The K&N oiling kit cost $12 and lasts quite a while. Much cheaper in the long run.
Old 11-14-12, 06:13 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

I do it once a year and it gets really dirty, but is just that I have to do so much work and then can't drive the car for a day because it takes forever to dry. As well the oiling is so risky to MAF. Not to mention test shows that K&N doesn't filter as well as dry filters now.

Dry filter does not need to be changed every time, it too need to be cleaned and then reusable. If I don't have time I can just light clean it by tapping it to let dirt out or use a shopvac...this way cleans about 80%. If I want to fully clean it, I'll find a day where I am just lazy and don't want to leave the house and soap clean it just like any dry/oil filter. No hassle oiling needed, and no need to buy oiling kits.

Anyways, any idea on how AEM hold up against AFE?
Old 11-14-12, 07:31 AM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no idea that there were dry filters that could be cleaned (effectively) and reused. As for which of the two is better, I have no idea. I too have seen AEM for years, but never used any of their products.
Old 11-14-12, 08:22 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Slammer1
I had no idea that there were dry filters that could be cleaned (effectively) and reused. As for which of the two is better, I have no idea. I too have seen AEM for years, but never used any of their products.
Yeah that's why I wanna swap out...oiling is too much hassel!
Old 11-14-12, 09:21 AM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there are also the Fujita Dry Air filters, I personally like this air filter because I like look and the build quality.

http://www.fujitaperformance.com/pro...R/Default.aspx
Old 11-14-12, 11:43 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

^What I've got on my Fujita SRI. It actually could use a good cleaning right now.
Old 11-14-12, 01:32 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Good luck with Fujita....i think they are out of business