IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID set up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 03:45 PM
mj250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID set up...

So after searching through threads I cant really find what Im looking for so I am turning to you guys for some help. I got the kit, it works and looks great. But, on start up (when the lights are in "auto") they come on and shut right off so.. (I flick the lights on and off and then the lights come on). When i start the car with the lights "off" and then flick to the "on" they come on. What do I do?? Have any of you encountered this. I have the BOW3 harness, I was told I might not need this. Do I need it? I already ordered the relay harness that goes right to the battery, do I need this.. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!'

Side note: does the stock (non-HIDs) have Denso Ballest? Im confused.

Last edited by mj250; 11-14-12 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 07:30 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I had a similar issue. I returned my previous kit and ordered from a cl vendor. I'll post a review one it's installed. May I ask what brand hid kit you ordered ?
Old 11-14-12, 08:06 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mj250
So after searching through threads I cant really find what Im looking for so I am turning to you guys for some help. I got the kit, it works and looks great. But, on start up (when the lights are in "auto") they come on and shut right off so.. (I flick the lights on and off and then the lights come on). When i start the car with the lights "off" and then flick to the "on" they come on. What do I do?? Have any of you encountered this. I have the BOW3 harness, I was told I might not need this. Do I need it? I already ordered the relay harness that goes right to the battery, do I need this.. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!'

Side note: does the stock (non-HIDs) have Denso Ballest? Im confused.
What brand is the kit that you have?

I have never used any kind of harness and Ive never had any issues.

Cars that do not come stock with HIDs do NOT have ballasts, only the halogen bulb.
Old 11-15-12, 06:04 AM
mj250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Offspring
I had a similar issue. I returned my previous kit and ordered from a cl vendor. I'll post a review one it's installed. May I ask what brand hid kit you ordered ?
I bought them from "SharpHID" Ive used them before and was real happy with them. a lot of my buddies use them too. Im thinking its because I live where at this time of year the temp does not get over 40 (on a good day).

Originally Posted by bob4256
What brand is the kit that you have?

I have never used any kind of harness and Ive never had any issues.

Cars that do not come stock with HIDs do NOT have ballasts, only the halogen bulb.
Like stated above I used SharpHID. And I knew that, I was just wondering what the Denso, relay was for..

I was wondering, do either of you run a BOW harness, is it necessary on our cars?
Old 11-15-12, 06:35 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Like I said, I have never used any kind of harness and Ive never had any issues.

They are not necessary
Old 11-15-12, 08:29 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

The HID ballast which you bought draws too much power and on startup car cant provide that much. Thats is why you are experiencing this.
Personally I have Xtreme HID kits in my lows and fogs and no problems what so ever. However if you get VOLT kit from the same vendor for your fogs you are going to experience the same issue.
Old 11-15-12, 08:43 AM
mj250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by p0lo8
The HID ballast which you bought draws too much power and on startup car cant provide that much. Thats is why you are experiencing this.
Personally I have Xtreme HID kits in my lows and fogs and no problems what so ever. However if you get VOLT kit from the same vendor for your fogs you are going to experience the same issue.
So what your saying is, the relay harness that I ordered that connects right to the battery will fix this??.. That way its drawing right from the battery rather then the harness itself, I figured it was drawing too much power cause when I push the start button they come on but as soon as the engine turns over they shut off. I still have halogen lights in the fogs, they just have an yellow tint on them. I like the way everything came out, I just want to be able to leave my head lights on "AUTO".
Thank you for your input.
Old 11-15-12, 08:54 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mj250
So what your saying is, the relay harness that I ordered that connects right to the battery will fix this??.. That way its drawing right from the battery rather then the harness itself, I figured it was drawing too much power cause when I push the start button they come on but as soon as the engine turns over they shut off. I still have halogen lights in the fogs, they just have an yellow tint on them. I like the way everything came out, I just want to be able to leave my head lights on "AUTO".
Thank you for your input.
Yup, it is really annoying when you cant use AUTO. If you connect it straight from the battery then yes it should work, because it will be able to draw as much power as it needs.
Old 11-15-12, 11:36 AM
SNORTH350
Driver School Candidate

Instead of starting a new thread this is similar to a topic I need answers with. I have the factory HID's in my car, however I want a more blue color (similar to my moms M5), can I just order new bulbs or do I have to redo the ballasts and all?
Old 11-15-12, 11:41 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SNORTH350
Instead of starting a new thread this is similar to a topic I need answers with. I have the factory HID's in my car, however I want a more blue color (similar to my moms M5), can I just order new bulbs or do I have to redo the ballasts and all?
If you already have factory HID lights, you can just replace the bulbs only. PM me for details as we carry a variety of colors and sizes for Lexus.
Old 11-15-12, 12:04 PM
SNORTH350
Driver School Candidate

Got to love this forum! Thanks for the reply! PM sent!
Old 11-15-12, 12:10 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNORTH350
You would just need to buy a new set of D4S bulbs. How blue do you want them?

Like this?

or this?

Old 11-15-12, 10:07 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I had a kit from ddm with a similar issue. My passenger side wouldn't turn on so I swapped ballasts and now the driver side won't turn on. This led me to believe my ballast was defective.
Old 11-16-12, 08:45 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the above poster, if you want "Blue", then definitely go 8K OR 10K. I personally LOVE my 6K Phillips bulbs. They are a crisp white with a slight hint of blue which makes it perfect. A WORLD better then my factory ones(i did lose light output though due to color increase)
Old 11-16-12, 08:47 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Can you post a pic? ^^^

A lot of people say that the 6K Philips is pure white with no hint of blue so Im curious to see

Quick Reply: HID set up...