IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OK, it's my turn....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 07:07 PM
infate
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, that would be how I interpret it. Although some insurance companies would just go through a short cut and just call it even. Good luck Jason.

Originally Posted by JasonChang
It's pretty much it's his fault.. Cuz from the video I'm already started to straightening and he then hit me by doing a fast lane changing. If he check his blind spot he would've saw me and avoided.. Sigh
Old 11-18-12, 08:04 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Man seems like everyone is getting hit these days

This is the main reason why I try my best NOT to drive downtown... crazy drivers!

Hope it works out in your favor!
Old 11-19-12, 12:03 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 149MAX
I work for the insurance industry (altho in Canada) but judging from your video, and I only needed to watch it once, pretty much you're both partially at fault.

You both tried to enter a clear lane at the same time without fully checking if it was indeed safe. Next time you need to make sure the lane is actually clear before cutting out like that. He should have also seen you cut out and not cut in.

Pretty clear cut case that you both should have been more careful. Also I would have held back on the video to the adjuster, it doesn't help you in anyway other than to prove you are both at fault. Without the video it could be argued the other driver was at fault, but the video proves you were not in the lane fully before the collision occurred.
Very appreciate your opinion in the view of Insurance Company, but I would like to point out that you say you only needed to watch it once and you r able to judge. That made me feel no responsibility there tho... like other people said "insurance company just want to do this and do that and hopefully you forget about it" hate to say this but it's just my thoughts. No try to argue here.

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Unfortunately, I think everyone's right here. You both will be at fault, even though it seems like the other driver was being pretty negligent. From the looks of it, he was trying to jump two lanes at once, or spent too little time getting into the middle lane. But since the accident occurred when neither of you were fully in the lane, both would be at fault. Technically, you hit him. I'd be pretty mad if I were in your shoes. You did mostly everything right, but some guy decides to pop in your destination and ruin it all.

like you said, "he was trying to jump two lanes at once" and my car is 45 degree push over from his hit, does that still means I hit him? yeah, being a good boy but ended up look like a bad boy.

Originally Posted by Traxxer
After watching that video I'd have to side with Jason. He was clearly straightening out when the other driver hit him coming in at a hard angle.
Good point thx

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
That sucks. But cray that you drive with a dash cam. Good idea. But cray.
lol hey nice signature

Originally Posted by MyIS350G
damn thats suck!
Pretty much both..
its the Prius!! man.. a whole line of Ferraris crashed cause of the Prius a while back too!
nah it's a Yaris he is prob trying to create another Yaris crashes

Originally Posted by Skrapp
I think its shared liability if you're both changing in the same lane
it's 50/50 now either his fault or both fault, will see how the insurance guy will handle

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
best of luck to you man, I hate to say it but this video could work for or against you. Did you mention to that guy or your insurance agent about the video yet
yeah, I sent the link to my representative already with the pics. funny thing is that he was trying to say it's my fault but when I tell him that I was driving very slow and use my turn signal, he didn't know what to say lol

Originally Posted by nosurprise
haha, that guy's face expression was pretty funny. It looks like OP is already in the lane, and I think the other driver is more at fault -- and he was going a lot faster, so he must have been behind when he switch lanes. Did you use your turn signal? A lot of times I tried to avoid going like this if there is any car behind me, unless it's 2 lanes over or way behind me, since I don't know what they're going to do.
haha, yeah I did use turn signal. I'm way more careful now, use to be careful already lol I don't know what to expect from it...

Originally Posted by Gville350
If I was the insurance company and got my hands on this video I would say both parties were at fault. What you should have done first was act as if you had no video of the accident and see what his insurance company would have done. Because honestly, the pictures show you in your lane and he not just cut you off, but hit you clearly. But seeing the video shows you both merging about the same time, the video might be your downfall.

Sorry bro, but I wish you luck!
But isn't it pics could be thousand of ways to be like that? especially speed, no one will knows what were the speed on both of us with only pics.

Originally Posted by iRock
Looks like his fault to me. You were probably in his blind spot.
sure he didn't check the blind spot. Funny thing is he told me he saw the front was clear so he cut in.... but? you are not going to cut in lanes by just making sure only front is clear right?

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
you didnt see him coming from the right? you shoulda saw him speeding up since you were changing over anyways

either way both of you are at fault. you more than him, (u were in back of him and hit him).
well, like I said, I saw him before I turn, he was in the fourth lane way back from me, prob 1 car distance. and he wasn't using turn signal at all, he was going straight. watch carefully on the speed.

Originally Posted by TUNG
in my opinion it seemed that it was more of his fault because you did signal and also you beat him to the lane faster as I recall from the video, and then he turned. but also is that the website where you got the camera from? seems really good quality.
yup! that's the one! my friend is going to order one soon

Originally Posted by andrew7
Like they say, never admit its your fault!
that's what I'm going to do

Originally Posted by brociouz
To me, it looks like you were almost entirely in that lane (you were already beginning to straighted your wheels out), and then the other guy merged in, at a pretty sharp angle, and hit you. In the end, it'll probably be shared liability, but you should push for the other guy being fully at fault.
thanks for the opinion bro! I'll collect all the opinions here and fight for this claim (:

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
the way it looks to me is, you were already in the lane. he obviously wasn't paying attention and or he just didn't give a damn. i would need to see the accident from a frontal view to be sure. i would say it was his fault though.
so I think show this video to my representative is not a bad idea. cuz most of you guys think is his fault

Originally Posted by Gen2IS26
I say his fault. Looks like you had already established position in the lane where the contact took place. It clearly looks like he sped up to try and merge over.
+1 on his part. Thanks

Originally Posted by Gen2IS26
I say his fault. Looks like you had already established position in the lane where the contact took place. It clearly looks like he sped up to try and merge over.
Originally Posted by sleepy415
Hope everything works out for you
Thanks bro! I'll post when the result is announce.

Originally Posted by infate
Yup, that would be how I interpret it. Although some insurance companies would just go through a short cut and just call it even. Good luck Jason.
alright!

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Man seems like everyone is getting hit these days

This is the main reason why I try my best NOT to drive downtown... crazy drivers!

Hope it works out in your favor!
haha thx, yeah good to be safe! hate downtown SF.... bunch of pot holes or uneven road or the worst is ... road work!!! it's always there since the first day of SF...

Last edited by JasonChang; 11-19-12 at 03:10 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 12:33 AM
bboysunone
Driver

Prius thinks he own the road.but I.say both at fault.
Old 11-19-12, 05:44 AM
mixa86
Pole Position

I work for the insurance industry (altho in Canada) but judging from your video, and I only needed to watch it once, pretty much you're both partially at fault.

You both tried to enter a clear lane at the same time without fully checking if it was indeed safe. Next time you need to make sure the lane is actually clear before cutting out like that. He should have also seen you cut out and not cut in.

Pretty clear cut case that you both should have been more careful. Also I would have held back on the video to the adjuster, it doesn't help you in anyway other than to prove you are both at fault. Without the video it could be argued the other driver was at fault, but the video proves you were not in the lane fully before the collision occurred.

I have to disagree, when he entered the lane it was open be cause the merge of the other driver started way past the point when the IS was 90% in the lane already. If the IS was going at the same speed as the other driver, the merging of the lanes would of been completed. The difference in speed, lets the other driver see the car merging in the lane and wanted to go in front of the IS but miscalculated the speeding up process of the IS.

I would hope the insurance doesnt do 50/50 type of deal but 25/75 in the favor of the IS.

Last edited by mixa86; 11-19-12 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 11:52 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the video will help you as he's trying to cut into lane #1.

Sorry to see that Jason...hope you will get it through soon
Old 11-19-12, 01:13 PM
149MAX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mixa86
I have to disagree, when he entered the lane it was open be cause the merge of the other driver started way past the point when the IS was 90% in the lane already. If the IS was going at the same speed as the other driver, the merging of the lanes would of been completed. The difference in speed, lets the other driver see the car merging in the lane and wanted to go in front of the IS but miscalculated the speeding up process of the IS.

I would hope the insurance doesnt do 50/50 type of deal but 25/75 in the favor of the IS.
Lol not sure how insurance in the states works, but in Ontario, even 25% at fault is considered "at fault" in terms of rating, so 25 is the same as 100.

But however you argue, both drivers are both partially at fault, sure one may be more than the other.
Old 11-19-12, 01:55 PM
mixa86
Pole Position

Lol not sure how insurance in the states works, but in Ontario, even 25% at fault is considered "at fault" in terms of rating, so 25 is the same as 100.

But however you argue, both drivers are both partially at fault, sure one may be more than the other.
Not true I had friends and family had portional faults, depending on the situation. One friend had 20% his fault 80% other party, he got 20% because he was speeding even tho the other car pulled into the main road from a parking lot.
Old 12-10-12, 11:21 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Just got call from my insurance and told me I'm 0% reliable and he is 100% reliable! But still need to give statement to the other company since now it's still pending. Anyways, thank you all for the opinions and I wish you all Merry Christmas! Very appreciate u all's participation! And again drive safe!
Old 12-10-12, 11:37 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats! Great outcome.
Old 12-10-12, 11:39 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Great news. Hope the repairs get done ASAP. Good luck.
Old 12-10-12, 11:54 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Video showed that you merged first and what looks like him attempting to cut you off. IMO it is his fault since you were already merged when he came speeding in. A lot of insurance companies are gonna call this 50/50 both drivers at fault. I was slow rolling out of a parking lot in my moms sequoia when some lady backed up into my rear passenger fender and AAA said it was 50/50 which I still don't understand til this day. Guess money was and still is the answer.
Old 12-10-12, 11:55 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't read entire post. GOOD NEWS!
Old 12-10-12, 12:10 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats bro!
Old 12-10-12, 12:20 PM
kickin8