IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is this a good deal for winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 07:01 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gislaved Nordfrost 5 and Hankook iPike W409 gets my vote too, another one I like is Continental ExtremeWinterContact.........these 3 are all very popular, high-performing and high bang-for-buck tires.
Blizzak is only good for first 2-3 winters as second half of tread is different compound, which is inferior in snow/ice and wears out quicker

As for Xi3 vs GSi-5.....it's hard to say. I had good experience with Toyo Garit KX...not sure about the GSi-5...as well after seeing how inferior Xi2 was, I'm not sure if I wanna give Xi3 a chance

Last edited by reyoasian; 11-23-12 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-23-12, 07:03 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by embolism
I got my winter setup for $1200 all in which included 4 WS-70 Bridgestones (225/45/R17) from Costco and 4 OEM rims off craigslist. When it comes time to replace them, I'm definitely driving to Buffalo.

I also didn't bother with TPMS in my winter set since my summer tires are stored in the garage right in front of my car. If the light does go on (when I'm driving for more than 30 minutes), then it will go off when I get close to my summer tires again. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for it to sense them but the light doesn't really bother me.

TPMS are the most useless thing on cars nowadays. They only go on if your tire is dangerously low. I'm talking to the point where you can visually see the tire is low. What good is something like that?
So true, I still check once a week to make sure pressure is good, also maximizes gas mileage and is just safer in general..........TPM so useless

I do the same as you in regards to the winter wheels sensing the summer wheels' TPM....its always funny when my friends sit in the car and suddenly the warning light comes on and they're like "zomg dude your car broke"
Old 11-23-12, 07:06 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
All this talk of Michelin and others, Bridgestone is consistently the best performing winter tires and they are generally cheaper than Michelin too...

in a 205/55-16, at tire rack, you could get a better tire, Bridgestone WS-70, for $520 plus shipping...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=136

At Tire Rack, you could also get a set of wheels and those same Bridgestones for $876, which includes mounting and balancing, just add shipping... If you want TPMS sensors, add $220...

just a thought...
TireRack and DiscountTireDirect is only good for us northerners if it's DIRT CHEAP or if groupbuy or if pickup across the border...the extra shipping, and then having to pay taxes, duty, brokerage......it's just not worth it. Rather buy local and get it installed free.
Old 11-29-12, 04:27 PM
kramerlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i went to simply tires and got Toyo Gsi5 on Steel rims. I was happy with the service as the guy at the desk took his time with me and was knowledgeable. The only thing that annoyed me was when i got home and took out my all season stock tires from the back seat and trunk they were two massive indents in my leather seat. It seems the tech who placed them in the backseat didn't position it well on the leather.
Old 11-29-12, 04:55 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kramerlex
So i went to simply tires and got Toyo Gsi5 on Steel rims. I was happy with the service as the guy at the desk took his time with me and was knowledgeable. The only thing that annoyed me was when i got home and took out my all season stock tires from the back seat and trunk they were two massive indents in my leather seat. It seems the tech who placed them in the backseat didn't position it well on the leather.
that's bound to happen. Wheels are big, and IS is a small car. Nothing to be annoyed about, they will bulge back out.