IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 07:57 AM
agarcia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 won't start

My 2009 car suddenly won't start. It was 8 hours prior that it started up fine. It sounds like the engine wants to turn over but doesn't. It does not sound like a dead battery, the typical clicking you hear. I also don't think the battery is an issue as everything works and turns on. I read that maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn over. I had some one try to jump me just in case. That did not work. The steering wheel is not stiff or stuck in a locked position. The start button light does turn green when I step on the break as usual. I noticed the brake is a little stiff initially, but as soon as the car tries to start, the pressure is released. Here are some recommendations I've gotten from non-Lexus owners.

-Spark Plugs
-Block in the Fuel Lines
-Power Steering Pump is out (I don't know why this would have anything to do with it, but I'm not good with cars)
-Bad Fuel Pump

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my car just came out of warranty and I don't want to tow it to the dealership just for something as simple as spark plugs. Thanks!
Old 11-29-12, 08:22 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

As for the brake concern, it's normal, every cars do that. And what do u mean by clicking? Is it the sound that u try to start but the engine not starting? Right? All the electrical stuffs are working huh?
Old 11-29-12, 08:27 AM
Machog
Driver

Check the connections on your battery-both ends. Sounds like you may have a loose ground.

Machog
Old 11-29-12, 09:03 AM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it could be a starter???
Old 11-29-12, 09:09 AM
agarcia
Driver School Candidate

I've had dead or low batteries in other cars before and know what to listen for when the battery is the culprit... that clicking sound. This is not what I hear.

In this case, the engine sounds like it is about to start but can't quite make it over the hill. I'll post an audio clip if I can that I recorded of it.
Old 11-29-12, 09:13 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VIS250P
Maybe it could be a starter???
This is what I was thinking when I read this.

I would think the car would start, but would misfire if it was plugs.
Old 11-29-12, 09:33 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

My guess would be starter motor or fuel pump. I'd be leaning towards fuel pump from what I can gather with your description. But I'm no expert.

And yeah, the brake thing is normal. That's just the brake booster kicking in. It needs the vacuum in the intake manifold to do its job, which only exists while the car is running.
Old 11-29-12, 09:39 AM
agarcia
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I'll investigate the starter and fuel pump next and post how it goes.
Old 11-29-12, 09:42 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Last car I owned was happeningthe same thing. If nothing else are causing the problem. Check the alternator or u might want to check the voltage of ur current battery.
Old 11-29-12, 09:51 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

If a jump start didn't work, it's probably not the battery or alternator, as I think you know, but you can take it to any one of a bunch of places like Autozone and have them test both of those things for free just to rule them out... Of course first you have to get the car there somehow, haha.
Old 11-29-12, 10:24 AM
agarcia
Driver School Candidate

Are there any other symptoms or ways for me to know that the fuel pump went bad? I think this may be the issue.... Here is why ....When I was getting a jump, it still wasn't starting so I tapped on the gas. My 2002 blazer from time to time won't start right away and if I give it a pump of fuel, it starts right up. I tried this "trick" on the IS250 and nothing changed. It still sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't.
Old 11-29-12, 09:29 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by agarcia
Are there any other symptoms or ways for me to know that the fuel pump went bad? I think this may be the issue.... Here is why ....When I was getting a jump, it still wasn't starting so I tapped on the gas. My 2002 blazer from time to time won't start right away and if I give it a pump of fuel, it starts right up. I tried this "trick" on the IS250 and nothing changed. It still sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't.
The 2IS has a drive-by-wire system, so I don't think the throttle will respond to pedal pressure until the car has started, meaning you probably didn't really test anything new there.

I'm not sure what other symptoms of fuel pump failure are, though. Have you tried googling or searching the forum?
Old 11-29-12, 09:43 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

If the starter go clickling sound without start the motor.. It is a starter!!! IF the fuel pump go bad which is no buzzzz sound... I bet it is a starter
Old 11-30-12, 12:26 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it have gas? Just a basic thought
Old 12-24-12, 01:17 PM
agarcia
Driver School Candidate

Default Still nothing

It has been 3 weeks. I have been traveling for work and am just now getting to figuring out what is going on. Can someone tell me where the fuel filter and fuel pump are located?

Quick Reply: IS250 won't start