IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

best way to go about buying a 2006 Is 250 for around 16k with around 80000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 10:43 PM
nickiskewl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to go about buying a 2006 Is 250 for around 16k with around 80000 miles?

Ok so I'm looking to buy a 2006 IS 250 sometime around summer this year. I'm 21 years old and am a full time college student. Luckily I got a full scholarship this year and I don't have to worry about loans. I'm currently driving an older 1999 Camry right now and I'm really trying to get this new car. I was thinking about getting the bmw 3 series for awhile but I talked to my dad who's a mechanic and he loves Lexus. My old teacher had a 350 and the ride was awesome. Like I said i'm really trying to pick one up for around 16k with no more than 85000 miles. Do you guys think this is reasonable? If so what's the best way to go about buying one including factors like best time of year ext (like I know bikes go for much less in winter, not sure if this holds true for cars). And how would you go about trying to aline the time it takes to sell your car to the time it takes to buy another one (like i said i'm in school and I do work a part time job). Also if you can tell me how the car drives, along with reliability that would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-12, 06:20 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Picking one up for $16 with that kind of mileage is not too unreasonable. Are you wanting that to be the price including tax/tag/title or just the vehicle? Being the time of car it is, time of year won't matter much on it. Go test drive one, they ride amazing and I'll let some of the members who have had theirs longer tell you about the reliability. And as far as aligning selling yours with buying another, make sure you have a ride for a week or two. Good luck on your search!
Old 12-08-12, 06:31 AM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds doable with that mileage. hit up all the websites that people/dealers list used cars for sale on. even craigslist. obviously whether it's a dealer or private seller and on craigslist or anywhere else, make sure you actually go and see the vehicle and test drive it before sending any money anywhere. just remember they will list the car higher than what they are willing to take for it. if you find one listed at $18k talk them down to $16k or straight up leave and keep looking.
Old 12-08-12, 07:00 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nikon
sounds doable with that mileage. hit up all the websites that people/dealers list used cars for sale on. even craigslist. obviously whether it's a dealer or private seller and on craigslist or anywhere else, make sure you actually go and see the vehicle and test drive it before sending any money anywhere. just remember they will list the car higher than what they are willing to take for it. if you find one listed at $18k talk them down to $16k or straight up leave and keep looking.
Do exactly this. All the private sellers in my area when I was buying mine a month ago wanted ~$20k for 07-08 with 80kish mileage. I picked my 2007 up from a dealer with a little over 100kish miles that had just done an oil change, put new tires on, changed the belts, and put new floor mats in for $15,400 when they were asking around $17k. Just research and be as informed of a buyer as you can be
Old 12-08-12, 07:11 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing is FIND A GOOD MECHANIC NEAR BY. Second thing, what's the difference between 85K and 100K miles? nothing. Don't worry about mileage if you are on a budget. Do not trade in your camry (like I did) sell it yourself, even if you have two cars for a while, the camry will sell eventually. Buy your IS from an individual since you won't be getting a certified car. Stay away from dealers, period.
Old 12-08-12, 07:20 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos3366
First thing is FIND A GOOD MECHANIC NEAR BY. Second thing, what's the difference between 85K and 100K miles? nothing. Don't worry about mileage if you are on a budget. Do not trade in your camry (like I did) sell it yourself, even if you have two cars for a while, the camry will sell eventually. Buy your IS from an individual since you won't be getting a certified car. Stay away from dealers, period.
there's definitely something to be said about the amount of miles a car has on its clock.
Old 12-08-12, 08:22 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carlos3366
I said the same thing about dealers until I bought mine. The one I bought mine from was great about maintenance. So if it comes down to it, I'd gratefully pay the dealer fees for a car that is fully serviced, opposed to one that needs an oil change/body work/tires/brakes/belts/etc.
Old 12-08-12, 09:06 AM
knbnguyen
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my 350 for 19k with 70k 6 months ago... so I don't think it's a bad price if all tax/fees and stuff included.
Old 12-08-12, 11:09 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

You should get what you looking for 16k easy.
Old 12-08-12, 12:00 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

start looking at carmax. when I was looking for mine I didn't want to go above 20k with no more than 80k miles. carmax had decent pricing but i ended up getting a 2007 for 20k with 69k miles on it.

To sum it up. Just keep looking and be patient.
Old 12-08-12, 12:20 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

Yeah.. keep looking I got an 08 is350 w/ 50+k miles CPO! 23k @ .9 % financing.

absolutely immaculate with extensive maintenance records, plus the CPO warranty to boot.

small lots tend to charge higher interest rates, no matter how good your credit is.
yeah.. it might seem like a deal, a couple grand less, but they get you on the back end with a higher rates, with no warranty what so ever.

When I started shopping for an is350, it seemed all the small lots car's were in ****ty condition (missing door handle) dinged to all hell, lines that didn't look right, etc..
Old 12-08-12, 01:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I'm just old--but I'd say keep your Camry, or get something cheaper if that's not feasible. You are a student, although in a good position with a scholarship. Why not save that money for a couple of more years until you graduate, and hopefully get a steady income? $16K will buy a lot of beer between now and graduation.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-08-12, 03:56 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm looking at a 08 awd nav for 16. Lol.
Old 12-10-12, 03:06 AM
Ru1K
Driver School Candidate

I got my 2009 IS 250 CPO with extended warranty bumper to bumper for 5 years with only 21K miles for $20,000 after taxes and dealers fees. If you look you will find nice deals.
Old 12-10-12, 08:54 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easiest way to find one? Simple. Look.

Check ebay, AutoTrader, Carmax, everything.. until you find the right deal. I've had the best luck with Ebay over anything.

Quick Reply: best way to go about buying a 2006 Is 250 for around 16k with around 80000 miles?