Drivers Side Console Switch Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 12:15 PM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Side Console Switch Needed

Hi,

I am trying to install a toggle/rocker switch in one of the blank locations normally containing the coin holder, headlight washer, or rear shade in my 2008 IS250.
I am looking for a simple on/off switch, which does not need to be lit. I understand that the opening measurements are needed in order to determine the dimensions of the switch needed, but I cannot figure out how to remove the blank cover.

Please provide instructions on how to remove this, and also any recommendations on simple switches that can be used here, that will give a stock appearance. I have a gray interior, but I am guessing that I will only find a black switch, which is fine by me.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-12, 09:19 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like you can just pull it out? If not there is some posts here about installing alarm and remote starts that removes that panel. I had thought about putting a switch there and looked like a power switch from computer power supplies on the back would fit, but I decided not to do it, so not sure.

Old 12-12-12, 03:20 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I saw the same video from Sewell, but they do not show how they got the hosing free. Basically, they start to shoot the video too late. I tried removing the side panel, and you can get a little access to the back of the switch plates, but can not figure out what I need to pull on or push to get anything to pop out.

Any ideas?
Old 12-12-12, 05:12 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a link to a DIY thread about footwell LEDs and you will see my post where I used a switch to control them. Just google scion oznium switch and you will find it.

As for removing the housing, just get a thin plastic too to remove the housing, Just be gentle and slowly pry it out
Old 12-12-12, 07:15 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bob,

Can you please attach that link for the LED footwell? As far as removing the housing, are you talking about removing the entire housing that contains the 3 switches, and also the lower fuel door and trunk release switches, or just the switch that I am trying to remove?
I will try a thin plastic spackle blade or something like that, unless you can recomend a better option.

Thanks
Old 12-12-12, 07:33 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HokieCJ7
Thanks Bob,

Can you please attach that link for the LED footwell? As far as removing the housing, are you talking about removing the entire housing that contains the 3 switches, and also the lower fuel door and trunk release switches, or just the switch that I am trying to remove?
I will try a thin plastic spackle blade or something like that, unless you can recomend a better option.

Thanks
Oh my bad, I didnt realize I forgot the link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...et-leds-4.html

Yes, I was talking about the entire housing. Once that is remove, you can push out the empty slot through the back of the housing. Bear in mind that this was done a few months ago, so this SHOULD be the way to do it. You may have to remove the plastic panel on the left side of the housing as well.
Old 12-12-12, 10:22 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link. The lights look sweet!

Did you just slowly pry at the housing from different sides until it just popped off? I imagine once I see how it is connected in the back, with clips or whatever, it will make a lot more sense.
Old 12-12-12, 10:26 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HokieCJ7
Thanks for the link. The lights look sweet!

Did you just slowly pry at the housing from different sides until it just popped off? I imagine once I see how it is connected in the back, with clips or whatever, it will make a lot more sense.
Yeah, but like I said, you may have to take off the plastic cover to the left of the housing (by the door jam). Sorry I dont remember exactly how to do it
Old 12-12-12, 10:28 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-the-is.html

Thats the thread I used to put the switch in
Old 12-12-12, 12:00 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's really not a big deal. Pop the side panel off by the door and you can access the one phillips head screw that holds on a clip on the lower right side. After that, it pops right out. The switch panel itself will pop out without much effort independently of the frame if you need it to.
Old 12-13-12, 02:36 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both for the information. My Oz switch arrives this weekend, so I know what I will be doing...