IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interior LEDs - Panel vs Bulb Type

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 02:06 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
LEDs don't dim like OEM as stated above.
I read it wrong obviously. my question was more a question of differentiation between bulb and panel. obviously theyre the same with respect to its ability to dim. thanks.
Old 12-20-12, 04:40 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with led smd-5 led in front and panel-36 in back dome. lights on EVERYTHING!
Old 12-21-12, 12:04 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I read it wrong obviously. my question was more a question of differentiation between bulb and panel. obviously theyre the same with respect to its ability to dim. thanks.
Oh what's what you mean, I didn't catch it.

About LED's not dimming the same, it's because the LEDs in this case isn't necessary designed to be dimmable which I would suspect. This would differ if we were talking about home lighting LED's where there are dimmable and non-dimmable LED bulbs.
Old 12-21-12, 01:32 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Oh what's what you mean, I didn't catch it.

About LED's not dimming the same, it's because the LEDs in this case isn't necessary designed to be dimmable which I would suspect. This would differ if we were talking about home lighting LED's where there are dimmable and non-dimmable LED bulbs.
I see. I wouldnt know why bulbs wouldnt dim - that would be the ideal setup for me mainly because what i want for my car is for it to LOOK and WORK like OEM standards. To completely LED light the interior (including the clear puddle lamps) on Sewell (vendor) costs about 200 USD shipped. I've yet to ask them about its ability to dim.

If anyone knows of a set that dims, I (if not we) would like a link so I can pick them up. I love the look and am well versed in Pay to Play, but 200 bucks seems a little off, dont you think?
Old 12-21-12, 02:59 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LED bulbs still dim, they actually respond better to changes in input of voltage than halogen bulbs do. OE interior lights dim because the power being provided to the light slowly drops off, but since LED bulbs are very sensitive to changes in input of energy, the rate at which the light dims is much much faster.

Most people think they don't dim due to how quick they turn off, but they do. It's just very quick.
Old 12-21-12, 03:03 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I see. I wouldnt know why bulbs wouldnt dim - that would be the ideal setup for me mainly because what i want for my car is for it to LOOK and WORK like OEM standards. To completely LED light the interior (including the clear puddle lamps) on Sewell (vendor) costs about 200 USD shipped. I've yet to ask them about its ability to dim.

If anyone knows of a set that dims, I (if not we) would like a link so I can pick them up. I love the look and am well versed in Pay to Play, but 200 bucks seems a little off, dont you think?

Check out ijdmtoy.com..
Old 12-21-12, 03:27 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you guys have any specific questions you're unsure of, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.
Old 12-21-12, 03:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
LED bulbs still dim, they actually respond better to changes in input of voltage than halogen bulbs do. OE interior lights dim because the power being provided to the light slowly drops off, but since LED bulbs are very sensitive to changes in input of energy, the rate at which the light dims is much much faster.

Most people think they don't dim due to how quick they turn off, but they do. It's just very quick.
This would basically back what I would mentioning above that the system was not necessary designed to be used with LEDs even thou it can be used. If the dimming system was designed for LEDs then it would dim linear instead of what is being observed since it was designed for incandescent.

As comparing it to home lighting, I've seen dimming for LED's which is linear since the dimming system (there is a list for which is compatible with what) and or the LED's were designed this way.

Last edited by Sango; 12-21-12 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 03:22 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My friend had led panels in his Accord but my VLED bulbs were a lot brighter
Old 12-22-12, 04:11 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the panel is too bright, but if you like that then go for it. BTW all LED for our interior (that I know of) will not dim linear like the OEM bulbs. They dim but flicker in the process of doing so.