IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Boring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 11:44 PM
surensm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Boring?

I'm new to this forum and don't get me wrong I do own an IS250 and I just can't seem to smile when driving. I mean sure it has a beast stereo and nice seats but come on, I'm sure I'm not the only one? It handles well and sounds fine but there's just something missing.

I found this review and i thought it was just perfect, http://topcarusa.blogspot.com/2012/1...xus-is250.html

Is there any way to make the car more fun than what it already is? I mean come one, 42k and I barely feel any fun.
Old 12-29-12, 11:47 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

glorified Corolla
Old 12-29-12, 11:50 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.... it's boring. Shoulda bought a faster car. It's your fault your bored. Not the cars lol.
Old 12-29-12, 11:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

For a while, Lexus's lacked soul or driving pleasure. I think the IS250 falls into that catagory. The 350 helps, but you still don't feel the road like you do in some of the German counterparts. The new GS has fixed much of this and there's a good chance the new IS will too.
In the meantime, you can get lowering springs to help with handling or maybe an intake to make it sound faster. Overall, the 2IS is more of a luxury car with an isolated ride.... which for the masses is just right. At least it's reliable, has a prestigious repuation, solid resale, is reliable, and is comfortable. Those are the things I focus on and the F-springs helped a little too.
Old 12-30-12, 12:01 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
glorified Corolla
Well said! It's boring to drive and to look at. Maybe the next generation will help
Old 12-30-12, 12:05 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like someone should have test driven it more before buying.
Old 12-30-12, 12:09 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Well said! It's boring to drive and to look at. Maybe the next generation will help
not sure about boring looks but driving is definitely not fun. Oh well, it gets me from point a to point b just fine. Now I might as well start thinking about putting a 2jz in or even better, working on the engine to see if I can make it more powerful.
Old 12-30-12, 12:11 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by iRock
Yes.... it's boring. Shoulda bought a faster car. It's your fault your bored. Not the cars lol.
Rather radical statement. Quite ignorant as well. I'm not bored, rather very hyperactive. I could have bought a faster car (in fact I was supposed to get an evo gsr but the plastic almost gave me a rash). Let's face it shall we, the lexus has an amazing interior. And it's looks are just gorgeous. Overall it's good an all but geez, how much more boring can a car get? I'm not saying it's not fast, you're getting it all wrong, it's just boring. Civic Si is not fast either but its definitely fun, and so is BRZ. I love the car and all but come on.
Old 12-30-12, 12:12 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by don
Sounds like someone should have test driven it more before buying.
oh I did, it was fine and all but I can't really take it to its fullest during a test drive now can I?
Old 12-30-12, 12:13 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
For a while, Lexus's lacked soul or driving pleasure. I think the IS250 falls into that catagory. The 350 helps, but you still don't feel the road like you do in some of the German counterparts. The new GS has fixed much of this and there's a good chance the new IS will too.
In the meantime, you can get lowering springs to help with handling or maybe an intake to make it sound faster. Overall, the 2IS is more of a luxury car with an isolated ride.... which for the masses is just right. At least it's reliable, has a prestigious repuation, solid resale, is reliable, and is comfortable. Those are the things I focus on and the F-springs helped a little too.
ughh, the soul is there alright, its just too calm. Step on the throttle and it sounds just fine its just why don't I get a smile on my face, I'm sure u know what I mean. I'm planning on modding it though so I'll post pics over time.
Old 12-30-12, 12:15 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by surensm
oh I did, it was fine and all but I can't really take it to its fullest during a test drive now can I?
I don't see why not, especially if you're going to buy it. I punched mine to 100+ when I bought mine.
Test drove an ISF and floored it.
Old 12-30-12, 12:19 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Rather radical statement. Quite ignorant as well. I'm not bored, rather very hyperactive. I could have bought a faster car (in fact I was supposed to get an evo gsr but the plastic almost gave me a rash). Let's face it shall we, the lexus has an amazing interior. And it's looks are just gorgeous. Overall it's good an all but geez, how much more boring can a car get? I'm not saying it's not fast, you're getting it all wrong, it's just boring. Civic Si is not fast either but its definitely fun, and so is BRZ. I love the car and all but come on.
civic si is also the performance version of the civic. a better comparison is you testing a civic lx. if you picked the performance of the IS, it would of been the ISF. too much fun.

is250 is better than so many cars out there though, , i would still chose that over any civic or scion frs. it wasn't meant for what you were looking for though.
Old 12-30-12, 12:34 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by don
I don't see why not, especially if you're going to buy it. I punched mine to 100+ when I bought mine.
Test drove an ISF and floored it.
Wow. Yeah no I probably wouldn't like to risk it. I mean, who knows what could happen right?
Old 12-30-12, 12:36 AM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
civic si is also the performance version of the civic. a better comparison is you testing a civic lx. if you picked the performance of the IS, it would of been the ISF. too much fun.

is250 is better than so many cars out there though, , i would still chose that over any civic or scion frs. it wasn't meant for what you were looking for though.
Don't get me wrong. By no means am I comparing the two, it was simply to set a benchmark and the difference in price. I guess you're right. Oh well, the lease is only two years, after which, if I'm lucky enough I might even pick up an ISF. For now though, I might as well start doing research on how to squeeze power out of the 2.5 liter engine.
Old 12-30-12, 02:06 AM
DGNY2009
Driver

not sure about boring looks but driving is definitely not fun. Oh well, it gets me from point a to point b just fine. Now I might as well start thinking about putting a 2jz in or even better, working on the engine to see if I can make it more powerful.
Don't get me wrong. By no means am I comparing the two, it was simply to set a benchmark and the difference in price. I guess you're right. Oh well, the lease is only two years, after which, if I'm lucky enough I might even pick up an ISF. For now though, I might as well start doing research on how to squeeze power out of the 2.5 liter engine.
IMO I wouldn't go putting a 2jz or doing engine mods on a car that's a "lease" don't think they will want it back if its not stock lol.

regarding the fun of driving the car i think its all bought who's driving you can have a super car with a boring driver and its no fun drive it like you stole it and i think you may have some fun.

Quick Reply: IS250 Boring?