IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad, But Great News....Transmission 176k

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 01:03 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad, But Great News....Transmission 176k

Well awhile back (150k) my service adviser told me that if I was going to keep the car that he recommended for me to get my shifter seal replaced, I was going to follow through with his request at 175k, but today I learned that the shifter seal can not be replaced due to CORROSION, inside of the transmission.
Therefore, I will need a new transmission or opt to have it rebuilt which I don't feel comfortable doing unless someone has done it on our cars or is familiar with rebuilding them, hence I know nothing about rebuilding transmissions.
With that being said, my advisor said the transmission will last a LOT longer and to continue driving it. I plan on finding a complete loaner engine to get installed. But you all are more than welcome to weigh in on what you think I should do.
BTW, I know the 3IS is right around the corner but I want a 3ISF, and I dont know what he means by a LOT longer but I'll ask tomorrow.
For those of you up there in mileage BEWARE of the corrosion or whatever, Ill let you all know the details once I pick my car up tomorrow.
Old 01-03-13, 01:05 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

The great news is that my car is a 2007 IS 350 and it's now 2013 and I have had my first major issue with my vehicle, which is pretty awesome considering most cars are in and out of the shop the entire time that you own it..........
Old 01-03-13, 04:53 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. In for updates and hopefully it all works out for you. 176K is quite a bit. Any other not major issues?
Old 01-03-13, 05:22 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If its running fine, drive it like you stole it until it dies

And join "Club Lexus - Houston" on facebook, i see you're in Houston
Old 01-03-13, 09:01 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by heyarms
If its running fine, drive it like you stole it until it dies

And join "Club Lexus - Houston" on facebook, i see you're in Houston
and I will continue to drive it, untill it says "No more Boss, Im tired." , just sent the request..
Old 01-03-13, 12:28 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

You have two 2ISs in your sig; is it a manual or auto trans with this issue? What "issues" have you seen due to this bad seal? Does it leak fluids or anything?
Old 01-03-13, 12:38 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
You have two 2ISs in your sig; is it a manual or auto trans with this issue? What "issues" have you seen due to this bad seal? Does it leak fluids or anything?
It says he traded to be Ricky Bobby to go fast in a 350.
Old 01-03-13, 12:58 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about "most" cars being in and out of the shop. Cars have become pretty reliable these days...

... Other than some European makes.

But yeah, I have a 2007 IS350 also, and I've been very happy with how it's held up over the ~75 months I've owned it. Almost no problems whatsoever that I didn't cause myself. Only about 70K miles on mine, though.
Old 01-03-13, 01:01 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Your transmission is most likely fine.
Old 01-03-13, 01:59 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
It says he traded to be Ricky Bobby to go fast in a 350.
I fail at movie quotes...had to Google that one! LOL
Old 01-03-13, 04:04 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i would be worried about corrosion in the ISF as well. stay away from lexus if that's the case.
Old 01-03-13, 08:51 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

UPDATE: Today, I picked up my car and my SA said don't lose sleep over it, it's not that bad but they can't replace the shifter seal because the rod that comes out of the transmission that has the seal around it can not be replaced due to the corrosion, since Lexus does not take apart parts and fix them, they just install new parts; hence a NEW transmission is what he advised.
He then called the tech whom worked on my car and he said I would at least get another 50k out of it, but maybe I could try a transmission shop that could rebuild my transmission and sandblast the corrosion. Finding a reputable transmission shop is going to be hard, hence I could barely find someone to put my brakes on before opting to do them myself.
I then asked about finding a used transmission, there's one on eBay for 1K and he said I might run into the same problem with the seal being corroded. Seems like this is a Lexus issue, although I am not bad mouthing their craftsmanship, because again I have had my car for awhile, driven it with no problems, and I am at 175k which should be perfect timing for something to be replaced.

So what can you take from this, get an extended warranty for as long as you can. Monitor your transmission for leaks, especially your shifter seal and if it leaks have the transmission replaced under warranty because I was quoted 5k....I'm unsure if Ill pay the 5k, get a used transmission, get it rebuilt 5% chance, or maybe the 3IS-F will come out really soon...
Old 01-03-13, 08:52 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gville350
I fail at movie quotes...had to Google that one! LOL
Its a Classic movie, a Must See for anyone that loves humor and Sweet Baby Jesus...
Old 01-04-13, 04:57 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the update and feedback. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the area in question and/or the corrosion? I haven't looked at my trans lately as I haven't had any problems but this has me curious.

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
UPDATE: Today, I picked up my car and my SA said don't lose sleep over it, it's not that bad but they can't replace the shifter seal because the rod that comes out of the transmission that has the seal around it can not be replaced due to the corrosion, since Lexus does not take apart parts and fix them, they just install new parts; hence a NEW transmission is what he advised.
He then called the tech whom worked on my car and he said I would at least get another 50k out of it, but maybe I could try a transmission shop that could rebuild my transmission and sandblast the corrosion. Finding a reputable transmission shop is going to be hard, hence I could barely find someone to put my brakes on before opting to do them myself.
I then asked about finding a used transmission, there's one on eBay for 1K and he said I might run into the same problem with the seal being corroded. Seems like this is a Lexus issue, although I am not bad mouthing their craftsmanship, because again I have had my car for awhile, driven it with no problems, and I am at 175k which should be perfect timing for something to be replaced.

So what can you take from this, get an extended warranty for as long as you can. Monitor your transmission for leaks, especially your shifter seal and if it leaks have the transmission replaced under warranty because I was quoted 5k....I'm unsure if Ill pay the 5k, get a used transmission, get it rebuilt 5% chance, or maybe the 3IS-F will come out really soon...
Old 01-04-13, 07:51 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP

I don't think there's anything to take from this, to be honest. Transmissions don't last forever. Never have. Some get problems a bit sooner than others, but I doubt a problem like this is remotely common enough during the warranty period (even the extended warranty period) for anyone here to worry about it. If it was a common problem, we would have heard about it by now.

Besides which, from the sounds of things, there is no significant problem with your trans, anyways.

Quick Reply: Bad, But Great News....Transmission 176k