IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Did you consider a bmw or mecedes prior

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 02:34 PM
felo2081
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uda880
That was a really nice feature to have that cover that flips up and down - I actually had a C300 for a bit before I moved into a G35 coupe (it was my first foray into Japanese cars), felt very solid, and loved the way the doors had a certain "heft" to them. But the engine was underpowered nonetheless - but it was nice to stare at a Mercedes badge while waiting at a red light.
Yeah I loved the Mercedes for about 6 months and then gave it to the wife she loves it!! I liked the fact that I could customize the Is more to my liking, still in love with my car.
Old 01-17-13, 07:34 PM
seamusep3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely, my brother has an 05 c55 AMG and is is unquestionably one of the greatest used cars for the money. I also test drove a 07 550i sport package and absolutely loved it. However I really wanted a CPO vehicle and couldn't find one in my price range. With that in mind I am super satisfied with the IS350 but next car might very well be a bmw
Old 01-19-13, 01:40 PM
350Nva
Driver

I traded in my BMW for my IS.. Such an improvement.

Maybe because I was driving a heavy V8 in city streets 90% of the time.
Old 01-19-13, 11:37 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really. I thought about a 3-series very shortly, but I was really only cross-shopping with a G35 coupe or a 350Z at the time I bought my car.
Old 01-21-13, 12:37 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Nva
I traded in my BMW for my IS.. Such an improvement.

Maybe because I was driving a heavy V8 in city streets 90% of the time.
I get maybe like 14-15mpg when I drive my M3 (E90). I feel your pain, I was going to pick up an is250 as a daily driver to save gas, but after having an IS350 for 3 years, I didn't want to have the same car again. I ended up picking up a loaded 09 G37 Sedan with 21k miles for nearly pocket change. (23k)

The only problem is that the g37 doesn't do much better, I only get like 17-18mpg. '

I messed up. Either way, I feel the IS350 was a bit more sturdy than the infiniti, and used some higher quality materials, but the Infiniti is much sportier feeling and sounding. Both great in their own way, but Lexus has better resale.

In the end, I think i'll always be a BMW guy...there's just something about them that makes you LOVE driving every single time. My dad just picked up the Panamera Turbo and I'm contemplating getting a Porsche myself a couple years down the line. I doubt i'll ever own another Lexus, but I do appreciate them and love where they are headed as far as branding and styling.

Last edited by IS_NIICE; 01-21-13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 08:45 PM
RebulRigo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill tell you, i just switched to a 2010 IS250 from a 2007 328i BMW coupe. Where the Beemer looks pretty fresh, the comfort i got from the moment i sat in the Lexus is unmatchable. I was between getting a Mercedes c300 and this Lexus and thank God i made the right choice.

Those cars are pretty uncomfortable... and once the engine lights start coming, they dont stop. Trust me.
Old 01-21-13, 10:38 PM
hunterr83
Driver School Candidate

Like many others, I did consider other luxury brands before buying.

Lexus was not my first choice. For the longest time, I've wanted a BMW (my current keychain that I attach my Lexus FOB to is a BMW keychain I've had for nearly 10 years, lmao). When it came time to getting a newer car, I started my research. I realized that BMW are not as luxurious on the inside as Lexus. In addition, they aren't as reliable as Lexus/Toyota. I never considered a Mercedes. So, Lexus was the choice. Does my IS350 perform as well as the comparative 335i? No, but the superior interior and comfort of the IS350 makes up for the small difference in performance.
Old 01-22-13, 10:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_NIICE
I ended up picking up a loaded 09 G37 Sedan with 21k miles for nearly pocket change. (23k).

Can I borrow your pants?
Old 01-22-13, 11:31 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

^^ I laughed out loud haha
Old 01-23-13, 06:06 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Can I borrow your pants?

Lol, sure but they're empty now. Just trying to say I got an amazing deal. 23k otd for a g37 journey sedan w/nav, Bose etc. with only 21k miles. Couldn't find an is250 for that price/miles.
Old 01-23-13, 08:14 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

I actually seen a M3 But Pops Went Against Me Getting It Because It Was A V8. I had no choice because he was paying for part of car. Ended Up Seeing A IS Online And Then Searched for only those.
Old 01-24-13, 04:05 AM
Authorize
Driver

Talking BMW cost too much!

I was looking at the E90 328i before getting my IS 350 . But, the 328i w/ M-Sport Package would cost $6k more than the IS350 F-Sport , before any form of negotiations. Figured, negotiations will NOT get me into the 328i for the price of my IS 350.

With that in mind, plus checking out the Lexus line of vehicles at the auto show, I went with the IS 350.

I also looked at G37 coupe (had a G35 coupe previously), but don't really like how EVERYTHING was a package, which resulted in really crappy pricing.
Old 01-24-13, 05:38 AM
kennyv
Driver School Candidate

I actually sold a 2008 328i convertible and moved into my IS350. It was mostly for reliability. The Bimmer had the sport package and handled like a dream but it was a little underpowered and the interior was nowhere near as nice as the Lexus. I had driven a G37S coupe, a 335i sedan, and a Benz C350 and came away loving the Lexus. It is not a pure sports car but it suits me fine. When my last kid is out of the house I will look at a 911, since it will just be me and the wife....
Old 03-01-13, 04:53 PM
RickE24
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, my first post here. My 97 240sx has over 200k miles on it and it kept breaking down on me last year,minor things like fuel pump, water pump, thermostat etc. one thing after another. My wife didn't want me spending anymore money on it so I ended up getting a 2006 BMW 330i as a family car. Have had the car for 11 months already and I want to get rid of it. It sure drives nice but it has so many glitches and maintenance is expensive. So far have replaced 2 ignition coil packs, spark plugs, rear brakes, battery, and electric water pump and thermostat. I got quoted $1200 at an independant mechanic, not the Dealership, just to do the water pump and thermostat, to me that is expensive compared to my Nissan and the prior Hondas/Acuras I have owned. I ended up just buying the parts for $500 and had a friend charge me $200 for the labor. The rear brakes I got quoted for $700 at the independant mechanic and just ended up buying the parts for $300 and did it myself. I thought by getting that car I would be good for a while but have been using my credit card just to buy parts. Good thing I did the ignition coils and spark plugs myself too. I think I am going to sell it and get the IS, I have liked it for a while but my wife was the one that really wanted a BMW and convinced me to buy it.
Old 03-01-13, 07:30 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickE24
Hi guys, my first post here. My 97 240sx has over 200k miles on it and it kept breaking down on me last year,minor things like fuel pump, water pump, thermostat etc. one thing after another. My wife didn't want me spending anymore money on it so I ended up getting a 2006 BMW 330i as a family car. Have had the car for 11 months already and I want to get rid of it. It sure drives nice but it has so many glitches and maintenance is expensive. So far have replaced 2 ignition coil packs, spark plugs, rear brakes, battery, and electric water pump and thermostat. I got quoted $1200 at an independant mechanic, not the Dealership, just to do the water pump and thermostat, to me that is expensive compared to my Nissan and the prior Hondas/Acuras I have owned. I ended up just buying the parts for $500 and had a friend charge me $200 for the labor. The rear brakes I got quoted for $700 at the independant mechanic and just ended up buying the parts for $300 and did it myself. I thought by getting that car I would be good for a while but have been using my credit card just to buy parts. Good thing I did the ignition coils and spark plugs myself too. I think I am going to sell it and get the IS, I have liked it for a while but my wife was the one that really wanted a BMW and convinced me to buy it.
my friend's 2006 325i had the same problems.. dealership wanted to charge him $7000 to fix his water pump and thermostat. Instead he let an independent shop do it for him for $1400.
If I were ever to get a european car.. it would be leased.

Quick Reply: Did you consider a bmw or mecedes prior