Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 08:38 PM
stanced
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 08' 2012 LED SEWELL UNLOADED install info

Hello CL

(I HAVE SEARCHED )

I have found a ton of info on the swap/ wiring..etc,,etc.

I did get the upgraded flasher relay

I will be using these to link to help me on the instal:

Thank to member: cyberscorp

2012 HOW TO

and

My questions are:

-Do I have to cut the lamp bracket or do I simply remove my lamps, swap everything over and re install?

-Is there anything I need extra or do not need on the swap process?

I don't get home until late Feb from overseas and like to do this myself when I get back, just wanting to soak up as much knowledge prior to starting the project.

Thanks CL
Attached Thumbnails 08' 2012 LED SEWELL UNLOADED install info-photo-1-3.jpg   08' 2012 LED SEWELL UNLOADED install info-photo-1-1.jpg  
Old 01-09-13, 09:06 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Your going to need to cut the headlight bracket as shown in the DIY thread.

I'm assuming your car already came with HIDs so you can swap the bulbs and ballasts over? Mine were halogen so I had to buy oem ballasts and D4S bulbs. You also will need to swap over the headlight covers from your stock headlights.

Also you may need to re wire the headlights for them to work. My set would not light up right out of the box (not "plug and play") so some rewiring was needed. Vroomin350 installed mine for me and he knew how to rewire them. Ask him if he doesn't see this thread.

Good luck bro
Old 01-09-13, 09:11 PM
stanced
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob4256

Good luck bro
Thanks,

Yes mine are stock HID already. I forgot, yes the stock covers as in the back covers correct?

So there is some re wiring.. hmmm okay, I'll do some research. Hopefully it's nothing to crazy. I'm hoping to get it done due to I should be home then head to Miami to hit the Miami Heat vs. Cleavland game, so I'll have 1 day to get my car together before the trip
Old 01-10-13, 04:52 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stanced
Thanks,

Yes mine are stock HID already. I forgot, yes the stock covers as in the back covers correct?

So there is some re wiring.. hmmm okay, I'll do some research. Hopefully it's nothing to crazy. I'm hoping to get it done due to I should be home then head to Miami to hit the Miami Heat vs. Cleavland game, so I'll have 1 day to get my car together before the trip
Yeah, the black covers that block access to the headlight bulbs.

I mean there wasnt THAT much re wiring, just plug and unplug a few pins into different locations. We had a picture of the way the wiring was suppsoed to be so it only took like 5 minutes.
Old 01-10-13, 05:33 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine had no rewiring required. I had stock HID's previously. The DIY you found makes it all pretty much straight forward.

If you want the LED's to be your DRL's, there is for sure rewiring needed (cut the LED power wire and splice it into a power source thats on only when the car is on).
Old 01-10-13, 05:36 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyarms
Mine had no rewiring required. I had stock HID's previously. The DIY you found makes it all pretty much straight forward.

If you want the LED's to be your DRL's, there is for sure rewiring needed (cut the LED power wire and splice it into a power source thats on only when the car is on).
Maybe I had to re wire mine because I bought the stripped version? I thought the only difference between that one and the loaded version was the bulbs/ballasts?

My LEDs are my DRLs and I didnt have to splice anything, just plug and unplug some of the pins.
Old 01-10-13, 06:16 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you bought them from Sewell loaded then they might already be wired for 100% like most of us down South...if not me or Vroomin can wire them 100 at all times
Old 01-10-13, 07:05 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob4256
Maybe I had to re wire mine because I bought the stripped version? I thought the only difference between that one and the loaded version was the bulbs/ballasts?

My LEDs are my DRLs and I didnt have to splice anything, just plug and unplug some of the pins.
I bought stripped version too. maybe because you had halogen originally? So the only reason you moved pins was for LED DRL's? I didnt know you could just move pins around to do it, thats why i havent done that "mod" yet. Any pics or source where to do that properly?
Old 01-10-13, 07:17 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyarms
I bought stripped version too. maybe because you had halogen originally? So the only reason you moved pins was for LED DRL's? I didnt know you could just move pins around to do it, thats why i havent done that "mod" yet. Any pics or source where to do that properly?
Sorry, I meant to say that the LEDs come on when I have my parking lights on.

At first when the headlights were installed, the LEDs would not light up at all. Thats why we had to re wire them.

After, the LEDs would be on 100% with my parking lights on and also with my headlights.

I know Vroomin350 has a picture of all the wiring on his camera.
Old 01-10-13, 12:45 PM
stanced
Pole Position

I usually drive with my HID's on all the time anyway, so the LED strip would be on.. if Im reading correctly.

So with stock HID 2008 lamps... and the SEWELL 2012 latest version LED lamps.. I'd still need to splice wires or just swap the ballast/ bulb/ covers over?

if anything I'd be in Miami that Sunday if I instal them and a issue comes up, I could possibly link up with the South FL guys for some help

-heyarms: since your was unloaded, you just swapped everything over and it was good to go?

When I am home, I'll grab pics of the install and try and make a DIY for a 2008 "unloaded" swap
Old 01-10-13, 12:54 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

-heyarms: since your was unloaded, you just swapped everything over and it was good to go?
Yeah, i just swapped HID ballasts and covers onto them, plugged them in and put it all back together. (of course also cutting the bracket as the DIY you found shows too).

For reference:

'09 IS250 w/ stock HID's. Bought 2012 stripped.
Old 01-10-13, 01:05 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

You wont have to splice any wires. Since you already have HIDs stock, just transfer over the ballasts, bulbs, and covers and you should be fine. But like I said before you MAY have to do some re wiring. Its really nothing major, you just need a picture of the correct wiring to use as a reference.

Like heyarms said, you will have to cut the bracket, which I think is the hardest part of the install.
Old 01-10-13, 02:01 PM
stanced
Pole Position

Alright, Seems easy enough. Just wanted as much info before I get back stateside so I can knock the install out and enjoy the new look. Thanks a lot CL members for the feedback.

I'll get with Vroomin350 to see if he has pics for the DRL-to-LED setup. That would be a nice touch to the lights
Old 01-10-13, 02:06 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright, Seems easy enough. Just wanted as much info before I get back stateside so I can knock the install out and enjoy the new look. Thanks a lot CL members for the feedback.

I'll get with Vroomin350 to see if he has pics for the DRL-to-LED setup. That would be a nice touch to the lights
Your going to HAVE to switch 4 wires to get them to work as you want them to...and luckily for you you will be in south florida...we will probably make it a LEDs install lexus meet...it's easy work