IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sam's Club chipped my rims while changing my tires.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 12:52 PM
BrandDC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sam's Club chipped my rims while changing my tires.

I recently (late November) bought an IS350 in Northern VA. The original owner garaged it in the winter so the car was equipped with summer ('Stone RE050A PP) tires.

I drove the car down to Florida for a family emergency and hearing weather reports back home (freezing temps, snow, ice, etc.) decided to replace the tires with All-Seasons. I went with the reasonably priced Dunlop/Goodyear Fierce Instinct tires.

I had a gut feeling that I should snap a pic of each wheel in the parking lot before I pulled into Sam's Club. The wheels were in excellent condition before the tire swap.

I had the tires mounted (last service of the day) and drove back to where I was staying. The next day I noticed that one of the tires visible tread was different than the other three. I checked out Dunlop's stock photo and it turned out that three of the four tires were mounted incorrectly (inner tread pattern was facing out. I also noticed that three of my four rims had chips near the lug nut holes.

I took photos of the tires and rims and called Sam's Club to speak with a floor manager. Drove back last night, transferred my photos to their portable drive, they also took photos of the rims and created a work order to re-mount/balance the three mis-mounted tires. The floor manager filed a report to their insurance company with the photos and said to expect a call from them in a few days. He gave me a $25 gift card while I was waiting for my car for the hassle of bringing it back.

Has anyone else here experienced a similar situation in which a tire shop damaged your wheels while performing a routine tire change? What should I expect from the insurance company?

Thanks in advance for your responses...and "in" before "cool story, bro".
Old 01-12-13, 01:12 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never ran into this problem before but good thing you took pictures. Seems like they've been pretty cooperative with you. Did the floor manager admit that it was their fault?
Old 01-12-13, 01:22 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very lucky you snapped pictures before hand. Keep us posted as to what there insurance does.
Old 01-12-13, 06:21 PM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Definitely let us know what their insurance does. I've always been a little interested as to what would happen in that kind of situation.
Old 01-12-13, 06:40 PM
fsport11jg
Rookie

I had a similar experience when my 99 Acura Integra was relatively new. I took it to NTB and they chip my rims around the lugs and on the edges. Due to the type of finishing on the acura rims they quickly began to peel and were not able to be fixed by a local rim repair shop. It was obvious to the NTB shop that it was their fault and suprisingly they cut me check for the retail cost of the 4 rims - $1,200.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-12-13, 08:11 PM
BrandDC
Driver School Candidate

He didn't admit it but didn't dispute or question what happened. Also - one of the two tire guys on duty that night was taking a smoke break and saw me drive up and take pics of the 4 rims before I entered the shop so he can corroborate my story.

I'll update this thread after I speak with the insurance co. and when this is resolved.

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Never ran into this problem before but good thing you took pictures. Seems like they've been pretty cooperative with you. Did the floor manager admit that it was their fault?
Old 01-12-13, 08:16 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good idea on taking the before pics. I'd say they can either price new wheels or what it costs to repair them.
Old 01-13-13, 08:03 AM
fng
Driver School Candidate

Nice of him to also comp you the gift card. That was above and beyond imo.
Old 01-13-13, 08:15 AM
skillvsluck
Driver

They messed up one of my wheels too. There was a scuff mark and the clear coat on the wheel was all chipped off around it...almost like they dropped the wheel onto the ground.

Those tires mech's are "Sam's Club certified", which means they took looked at some computer slides and were now approved to work in that department. They're far from being real mechanics and I wouldn't really trust them on any cars you care about.

To their credibility- when i had my tires balanced and rotated on my old lexus, they told me I had 7/32" tread the first visit and then 4 months later they had 9/32".
Old 01-13-13, 10:14 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Lesson #1: Don't go to discount tire shops.
Old 01-13-13, 11:41 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^
Agreed. I wouldn't bring my car to Costco either!
Old 01-13-13, 12:17 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

^ Costco has been perfectly fine for me. Costco has much better products and service than Sam's Club. Plus employees are paid better and treated better.
Old 01-13-13, 06:55 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sam's is always been good to me for the past 8 yrs, except for the last time. I bought two new front tires and I am pretty sure when they installed them, they chipped off a big piece of "clear coating" on the rims. I do not have proof since I didn't take before pictures. Next time I go in for tire rotation, I will make damn sure it doesn't happen again.

Cheers to you for being wise and taking pictures.
Old 01-13-13, 11:35 PM
huystAr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Lesson #1: Don't go to discount tire shops.
Agreed as well.

Taking pics of the wheels is very smart so I'll be starting that from now on.
Old 01-14-13, 05:49 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear but I wouldnt trust sams club...

Quick Reply: Sam's Club chipped my rims while changing my tires.