IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Close Call Stories Here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 10:07 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I hate crap like that, and that makes me want to get a dash came to cover myself.
Old 01-14-13, 01:47 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was driving on the I95 going south through NJ a couple weeks ago and while the lanes were zigzagging, this guy in an SUV to my right doesn't stay in his lines and was right next to me. No lie, my side mirror was almost touching his car. Good thing I had an empty lane to my left and swerved over. The guy proceeded to pull up next to me and start flipping me off. I held my anger in and just kept driving lol
Old 01-14-13, 02:08 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Went on a day trip from Winnipeg to Grand Forks in Minneapolis MN about a month ago. On our way to Grand Forks, traffic was sticking to one lane because the snowfall and gusting wind created snow drifts in the other lane. There were a few SUVs who passed us, and every time they did, they kicked up the snow, causing a whiteout. I swear I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. Well, finally the second lane clears up a bit, so I move over and proceed to pass the two semi trucks we had been stuck behind for over an hour. I ended up driving through a big snow drift. If it wasn't for the AWD and my snow tires, I'm sure I would have come very close to the ditch. That's the closest call I've been in in my IS250.
Old 01-14-13, 04:32 PM
surensm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmacks
You have a constantly running dash cam? Why?
I would love to have one. A lot of people in Russia do, that's where u get all those amazing accidents from such as these:

Old 01-14-13, 04:34 PM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
I was driving on the I95 going south through NJ a couple weeks ago and while the lanes were zigzagging, this guy in an SUV to my right doesn't stay in his lines and was right next to me. No lie, my side mirror was almost touching his car. Good thing I had an empty lane to my left and swerved over. The guy proceeded to pull up next to me and start flipping me off. I held my anger in and just kept driving lol
Wow, that's where I would snap
Old 01-14-13, 05:02 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by surensm
I would love to have one. A lot of people in Russia do, that's where u get all those amazing accidents from such as these:

http://www.youtube.com/v/AXz4P6EpX3s
Holy crap! Now I kinda want a dash cam and then again kinda don't! Seems like you are gonna be caught up in some mayhem if you have one. Somebody want to tell me what flipped that car over at the 4:00 minute mark? Great vid, btw.
Old 01-14-13, 05:26 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I was driving late at night and I was making a left turn and there was one car on the other side of the intersection that had the right of way. When the light turned green (I did not have the arrow) the other car just sat on their side of the intersection and didn't move. Then the guy flashed his brights at me and even though that should have been a red flag I said, "****** it, I'm just going to go." As I proceed through the intersection he floors it and tries to hit me as I'm making the left. Ever since that incident I've wanted to get a dash camera.
Old 01-14-13, 05:36 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

A dash cam would be a very good idea in the ATL. I have been there many times and seem some crazy stuff!
Old 01-14-13, 09:39 PM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Holy crap! Now I kinda want a dash cam and then again kinda don't! Seems like you are gonna be caught up in some mayhem if you have one. Somebody want to tell me what flipped that car over at the 4:00 minute mark? Great vid, btw.
Oh that, lol, it was the (can't stop laughing at this) cord from the electricity wires that was hanging. The car got caught up and then pretty much flung in mid air
Old 01-14-13, 09:41 PM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by greg0126
I was driving late at night and I was making a left turn and there was one car on the other side of the intersection that had the right of way. When the light turned green (I did not have the arrow) the other car just sat on their side of the intersection and didn't move. Then the guy flashed his brights at me and even though that should have been a red flag I said, "****** it, I'm just going to go." As I proceed through the intersection he floors it and tries to hit me as I'm making the left. Ever since that incident I've wanted to get a dash camera.
I'm afraid a dash cam wouldn't have helped if, God forbid, you had hit that car. The right of way rule states that no matter what, if you are making a left on green, you MUST yield until the situation is safe enough to proceed with the turn. In your case you're lucky that ****ole didn't get what he wanted and his plan (which probably involved some insurance fraud) failed miserably. Or maybe he just didn't know the right of way rule . In any case, at least ur safe (and the car too lol)
Old 01-14-13, 09:42 PM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by Slammer1
A dash cam would be a very good idea in the ATL. I have been there many times and seem some crazy stuff!
I bet some perfect YouTube material.
Old 01-14-13, 10:23 PM
scat1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by surensm
I'm afraid a dash cam wouldn't have helped if, God forbid, you had hit that car. The right of way rule states that no matter what, if you are making a left on green, you MUST yield until the situation is safe enough to proceed with the turn. In your case you're lucky that ****ole didn't get what he wanted and his plan (which probably involved some insurance fraud) failed miserably. Or maybe he just didn't know the right of way rule . In any case, at least ur safe (and the car too lol)
That other guy was trying to hit, not get hit, according to what I read. But if if dash cam would've caught the flash of the headlights, he should be OK, since it's almost a given that a flash means, 'you can go.'
Old 01-15-13, 04:55 PM
surensm
Driver

Originally Posted by scat1
That other guy was trying to hit, not get hit, according to what I read. But if if dash cam would've caught the flash of the headlights, he should be OK, since it's almost a given that a flash means, 'you can go.'
I guess, my friend still got himself busted by the insurance cause some other guy pulled the same trick on him. Whether he was trying to hit or get hit, it would have turned out ugly