Replace push start button

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 03:58 AM
YTL2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace push start button

Hi,

I wanted to replace my push start button with the following one that I have seen by Tom's:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2710952319...84.m1423.l2649

(please keep comments to your self as it may be a love/hate item)

Before I purchase it, I have been unable to find instructions on how I would remove the old one so was wondering if anyone could help?

Also, I believe that when the fob battery runs flat, you are to hold the fob up to the start button so that the car recognizes that is there and you can start the car. Is this function actually built into the start button itself or is there a sensor nearby? I dont want to buy it and then realise I cant start the car should the fob battery ever go flat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-25-13, 06:09 AM
YTL2000
Driver School Candidate

Bump.......

Any help on this?
Old 01-25-13, 06:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

$75 for a plastic button? geeze.... do a search, I just saw a thread about the TOM's and TRD push buttons not too long ago.
Old 01-25-13, 07:06 AM
YTL2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
$75 for a plastic button? geeze.... do a search, I just saw a thread about the TOM's and TRD push buttons not too long ago.
Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Thanks, I did do a search when I wanted one around october last year but all that was bought up was other comments of "do a search" which is why I gave up and just started my own thread when I thought about it again.

Anyway, I have found the thread that you are referring to and have a good idea on what I need to do so thanks for the prompt!

If anyone is interested and to help those who do searches, see the below:

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
just put it in this morning, PITA till i figured out a easy way so let me give everyone a few tips, use a panel puller to get the chrome bezel off (thx ISBU) then take a paper clip and bend one end into a L shape (not a big L but just a hook kinda thing), slide the paper clip between the button and the~ 'outside ring black thing', use a needle nose pliers to grip the clip and pull~ watch out thou cuz the clear plastic for the light to shine thru the button will go flying along with the button, stuff a towel to cover the seatbelt area so it doesn't fall in there~ when you put the chrome bezel back on you'll need to line up the tabs so dont just mash it back in.

Old 01-25-13, 07:10 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Also FYI, apparently the car will throw a warning on the instrument cluster when it notices that the key fob battery is low. I read that in a post somewhere recently..
Old 01-25-13, 07:19 AM
YTL2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Also FYI, apparently the car will throw a warning on the instrument cluster when it notices that the key fob battery is low. I read that in a post somewhere recently..
Thanks for that, I believe it does. I believe that even when your battery is flat, you can still hold it up to the button so the car recognises that the key is present.

I dont want to buy it, have my key fob go flat and no way of starting my car so I am just awaiting confirmation to see whether it is just the cap you are buying or the whole fitting.

Admittedly if it is just the cap then it is indeed an expensive piece of plastic but when your name is Tom - it would be rude not to buy it for a little "personalisation"
Old 01-25-13, 11:34 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So was there an actual write up? I always wanted to pick one up but would like the same answers. First off i think its just plastic and the sensor is somewhere behind it. Also, is there a link to a write up or directions - i appreciate the previous quote but something about towels and paperclips seems a bit backdoor garage to me.

Edit:I also did a search.

Last edited by UniSlayEX; 01-25-13 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Proof
Old 01-25-13, 02:12 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

It is just the plastic peice on the front that you will be replacing. You pry it off from the front. Here's mine.
Name:  F620AF5C-7B9D-4BF7-83C2-8AAFF6B1A8CE-3336-00000576782927A6.jpg
Views: 5935
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 01-25-13, 02:13 PM
mrcupide2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not trying to be rude but whats so good about a tom's start button? Never heard of these...whats wrong with the stock one?
This one looks a lot worse than the stock IMO.
The following users liked this post:
thekucho (12-10-20)
Old 01-25-13, 02:16 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcupide2
not trying to be rude but whats so good about a tom's start button? Never heard of these...whats wrong with the stock one?
To each is their own. Nuf said.
Old 01-25-13, 02:46 PM
mrcupide2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcJten
To each is their own. Nuf said.
But is there anything special about these buttons?
Old 01-25-13, 03:32 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TOM'S is a factory supported racing team and tuner of Toyota and Lexus vehicles. They create aftermarket parts for current Toyota vehicles, and have also created their own special editions of certain current Lexus models.

google it.
Old 01-25-13, 03:37 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
So was there an actual write up? I always wanted to pick one up but would like the same answers. First off i think its just plastic and the sensor is somewhere behind it. Also, is there a link to a write up or directions - i appreciate the previous quote but something about towels and paperclips seems a bit backdoor garage to me.

Edit:I also did a search.
Another way to remove the button is to push it out from the back (this is probably how it's meant to be removed). To push from the back, you need to remove the stereo/nav (that's how I removed it); or you can take off the lower 3 panels under around the steering wheel (according to some people this can also be done).

The whole button is actually about 3 inches long cylinder and diameter the same as the surface of the button.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-cluster.html
Old 01-25-13, 05:59 PM
YTL2000
Driver School Candidate

But is there anything special about these buttons?
There is nothing special about them apart from my name is Tom and the tuning connection just makes it more apt. Silly purchase really..
Old 01-25-13, 06:01 PM
YTL2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcJten
It is just the plastic peice on the front that you will be replacing. You pry it off from the front. Here's mine.
How did you prise it off and what did you use? I've got trim removal tools but these all seem to thick to get between the bezel and the plastic button itself.

Also my bezel sits really flush so may need a plastic knife of sorts

Quick Reply: Replace push start button