IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tire noise at low speed,,any ideas welcome!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 02:48 AM
meero80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire noise at low speed,,any ideas welcome!!!!

hello all

I have a LEXUS IS 300 2007 ( gcc specs) 3 LITER V6,, I have a problem at low speeds (upto 60 km/h) i feel the tire rolling and humming sound although the windows are closed completely. I went to the dealer brakes are okay calipers okay,,,,, The tires are all new bridgestone GR90 which are supposed to be quiet tires ,,, i have another problem which is the wind noise at high speeds dealer cant say anything except " its a sports car, its normal" buy a LS 460 if you want to feel complete quiet cabin",, of course LS 460 is not in my budget at all..

If anyone can help me out please let me know

I have my radio off at most times but even when its on i can still feel the rolling when i brake at low speeds..

Don't know if anyone else has the same concerns!!!

thank you all
amir
Old 01-28-13, 05:36 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

If your tires are new, talk to the place you bought them at. I bought a set once that was wicked noisy and I complained to the tireshop and they changed me out for a different brand (which solved my problem).
Old 01-28-13, 05:44 AM
AutoSexy13
Driver

I'm going to have to go with tires on this. It is a possibility that it could be your wheel bearings so check them, its easy. Where is the wind noise coming from at high speeds? That would usually indicate that something like a door is not sealing correctly.
Old 01-28-13, 06:46 AM
meero80
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your help,, i just came back from the tire shop and he checked the tires (only 1 month old) and he said the wearing is even and the car has no problems and the dealer says the bearings are okay and i don't know what to do i just want a quiet ride an it seems that is not possible i think on the IS300,,, anyone with the same stories on their IS 250/ IS 350

for the windnoise the dealer said the rubber is okay and they changed the window seals and even the windshield moulds but as usual no change at all i have to increase the volume of the cd player to at least 20 to feel nothing ,,, dissapointed but no choice but to keep it

"I drove a hummer h3 previously and it was really a tomb,,,, i know its a heavier vehicle and cant be compared but that is what i looking for in a lexus sedan but ........ i am still puzzled.......

They recommend sound proofing but i cant afford it now!!!!!

thanks
Old 01-28-13, 11:46 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

I get wind noise from my moonroof at highway speeds. I took it to the dealer and they said it is a normal amount of noise for a moonroof.

I always travel with the moonroof cover closed to dampen the sound
Old 01-28-13, 12:49 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

could be wheel bearings starting to go bad or its the road that you are driving on
Old 01-28-13, 03:12 PM
AutoSexy13
Driver

Weird i never get any wind noise at any speed in my 350. Its probably gonna be the tire then
Old 01-28-13, 04:08 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i usually get wind noise at 80mph hitting my windshield that i can hear "sometimes". recently i too have been hearing a fluttering sound when i drive sometimes. it usually happens at high speeds on the highway. my tires are only a year old.
Old 11-21-23, 07:39 PM
tiresangle
1st Gear

Thumbs up Tire Noise Causes & Noise Types

Tire noise, also known as road noise or tire roar, is a common occurrence and can be caused by various factors. Here are some of the main reasons why noise may emanate from tires:
  1. Tire Tread Pattern: The design and pattern of a tire's tread can significantly affect the amount of noise it generates. Tires with aggressive tread patterns, such as those found on off-road or high-performance tires, may produce more noise than tires with a less aggressive or symmetrical tread pattern.
  2. Tire Type and Size: Different types of tires, such as summer tires, winter tires, or all-season tires, can produce varying levels of noise. Additionally, larger and wider tires tend to produce more noise compared to smaller and narrower ones.
  3. Tire Wear: As tires wear down over time, the tread pattern can change, and the rubber can harden. Worn-out or unevenly worn tires can contribute to increased road noise.
  4. Road Surface: The type and condition of the road surface also play a role in tire noise. Rough or coarse road surfaces can amplify tire noise, while smooth and well-maintained roads may reduce it.
  5. Inflation Pressure: Incorrect tire pressure can impact the way the tire contacts the road. Underinflated or overinflated tires can lead to irregular wear patterns and increased noise. It's essential to maintain the recommended tire pressure for optimal performance.
  6. Alignment Issues: Improper wheel alignment can cause uneven wear on tires, resulting in increased road noise. Regular wheel alignment checks can help prevent this issue.
  7. Wheel and Suspension Components: Issues with wheel bearings, shock absorbers, or other suspension components can contribute to tire noise. Worn or damaged parts may cause vibrations and noise.
  8. Vehicle Design: The design of the vehicle, including the suspension system and insulation, can influence the amount of road noise that reaches the interior of the car.
Besides reasons , you also need to under the types of tire noises that give you idea regarding the reason.

If you're experiencing excessive tire noise, it's a good idea to check the condition of your tires, ensure they are properly inflated, and consider having your vehicle inspected by a professional to identify and address any potential issues with alignment or suspension components. Regular tire maintenance, including rotation and balancing, can also help reduce noise and ensure even tire wear.