IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sold my IS250 - now what

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 07:16 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold my IS250 - now what

I just moved to downtown Minneapolis where my fiance can walk to work (and we only have one parking space) so it made sense to unload one of our two cars.... Selling the IS allowed me to pay off what I owed, pay off her accord, and pocket like 6k.... now with no payments and one less insurance payment, we're also saving like $750/mo. which is pretty awesome. I've only had to drive the accord for like a week now but I hate it so much, everything about it just sucks.

So here is sort of where I am at looking for something to replace it - keeping in mind I do not want to touch any other savings, or pickup a loan at this time.
I assume we'll get around 8.5k if we sell it outright, 7.5k if we trade the accord, that paired with what I pocketed from the IS sale means I'll have around 15k +/- to find something I don't hate....any suggestions?!

I would like AWD again if possible, Minneapolis winters aren't fun and having something with a little more zip than the IS250 would be nice.

Current thoughts -
05-07 Acura RL
G35x
B5/B6 S4 (not sure if I want to deal with the maintenance on this though)

I know it isn't a huge budget to work with, but for now we're living solely off my salary and saving 100% of her for s downpayment, so between our absurd rent, school loans, and living expenses, not having a car payment would be great....

Any other options are welcome,
Thanks!
Old 02-06-13, 07:30 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

They make AWD 350s now. Maybe you can get a used one within your budget
Old 02-06-13, 07:37 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say continue with the accord, keep building your "investment account" up instead. This is a GREAT opportunity to set up your "future" self with a nice bankroll.

Instead of buying something you kind of want, you will be able to buy something you DEFINITELY want in the near future.

ZERO debt + money in the bank FTW!!!
Old 02-06-13, 07:42 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

Instead of buying something you kind of want, you will be able to buy something you DEFINITELY want in the near future.

ZERO debt + money in the bank FTW!!!
That was the initial plan .... with a CTS-V in my future once we kick our rent costs, but man o man this car is just the worst to drive. I liked my commute in the IS, it was comfy, great in bad weather, and just nice to drive.... the accord is opposite in every way.
Old 02-06-13, 07:43 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

They make AWD 350s now. Maybe you can get a used one within your budget
I doubt it, the closest I have seen is mid 20's for a IS350 awd.... quite a ways off still.
Old 02-06-13, 07:44 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

08 Subaru Impreza 2.5i? AWD, but less HP than the IS250 (170hp/tq). There are a few selling for like 13k locally (to me, at least).
Old 02-06-13, 07:59 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NickTomsyc
That was the initial plan .... with a CTS-V in my future once we kick our rent costs, but man o man this car is just the worst to drive. I liked my commute in the IS, it was comfy, great in bad weather, and just nice to drive.... the accord is opposite in every way.
Keep focusing on the V my man. Those are great cars!
Old 02-06-13, 08:14 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save, save, save your money. Put extra aside for a house. In the big picture of life driving an Accord is a good thing. Take advantage of this opportunity.
Old 02-06-13, 08:32 AM
JayDMiS
Driver

Originally Posted by Keppie
Save, save, save your money. Put extra aside for a house. In the big picture of life driving an Accord is a good thing. Take advantage of this opportunity.
I agree 100%.
Old 02-06-13, 08:33 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I say get the 05 RL
Old 02-06-13, 09:09 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the savers (we're pobably older guys who would do it differently ) You have a great opportunity ahead of you. Suck it up with an accord for now. As long as the engine runs and, given your location, the heater works - you are doing just fine. Just keep putting the amount youd be paying aside and youll have that CTS and house in no time.
Old 02-06-13, 09:18 AM
1Clean06IS
Pole Position

RL! Or even te TL not AWD, but the front wheel drive was fairly reliable when I owned mine.....I have had it in the snow, but not nearly as much as you will deal with.
Old 02-06-13, 09:20 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

As long as the engine runs and, given your location, the heater works -
The accord is pretty cherry, it is an 03' with only 60k miles.... it was my grandma's Sunday church car, runs great and doesn't have a scratch on it. ..... but is boring as ****.

Just keep putting the amount youd be paying aside and youll have that CTS and house in no time.
Since we have been able to live just fine paying for both cars, hopefully that $700/mo. can just go into a "future car account" plus what I pocketed from the IS, it should add up pretty quickly.

The house is getting fund is getting like $2k/mo at the moment, but I'm sure the Mrs. will try and up this from what could be car money.

.... the worst is the $1750/mo. rent, I hate hate hate paying rent (lived at home the last two years before we moved... no bills at all).
Old 02-06-13, 09:49 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The accord is pretty cherry,[...]it was my grandma's Sunday church car
LOL dope

.... the worst is the $1750/mo. rent, I hate hate hate paying rent (lived at home the last two years before we moved... no bills at all).
Yeah, even worse is that is a little less than a mortgage payment. A word of advise though get the house first I know guys who have done it in reverse and ended up getting shafted with Accords because they had to sell to own.
Old 02-06-13, 10:21 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I agree with the savers (we're pobably older guys who would do it differently ) You have a great opportunity ahead of you. Suck it up with an accord for now. As long as the engine runs and, given your location, the heater works - you are doing just fine. Just keep putting the amount youd be paying aside and youll have that CTS and house in no time.
This. And I resemeble that remark!

Quick Reply: Sold my IS250 - now what