IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do You Pay Your Dealer to Detail and Wax Your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13 | 08:03 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

another vote for No. either do it yourself if you have the time and resources.. What Part of CA are you in ?
Old 02-12-13 | 09:34 AM
MzKaylee
Driver

im not going let them touch this car! no way!
Old 02-12-13 | 10:20 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

My place is actually good at the detail and not the wash (different people I am sure) either way, i dont let them do it because i woudl rather do it myself. I enjoy it so much that its usually an all day event (detail once a month - wax every week)

OP, just look at the work they do and decide. Frankly, 200 is a bit much for something you can do for an initial 100 dollar investment. I paid a little over that maybe 3 months ago and it looks show quality EVERY time. think about it.
Old 02-12-13 | 10:23 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iRyan
no never....dealership is a last resort for everything....lol they overcharge and underwork...private washers are way better
Originally Posted by edgeucated
No, never.

The dealership overcharges and they won't do a very good job. I personally enjoy waxing my car myself, but if I was force to, I would much rather pay a private person to wax my car. A personal detailer will do a much better job than the dealership.
Agreed, I just finished washing, detailing, and waxing my car. It's so worth the effort to know that you did it yourself.

If I was lazy I do what one member did and contacted this detailer, I saw the work they did on his IS 350 and other luxury, sport, and exotic cars and am pretty sold whenever I get lazy.

EDIT: I don't even want to take it out of the garage anymore because it's that clean.
Old 02-12-13 | 05:32 PM
surensm
Driver

here in socal its free (at least for me) for birthdays only. Also I get free weekly car washes.
Old 02-12-13 | 05:33 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Never

diy ftw
Old 02-12-13 | 05:33 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iRyan
no never....dealership is a last resort for everything....lol they overcharge and underwork...private washers are way better
I like your comment.
Old 02-12-13 | 07:35 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 600rr05
another vote for No. either do it yourself if you have the time and resources.. What Part of CA are you in ?
I live near Temecula area.
Old 02-12-13 | 07:41 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
My place is actually good at the detail and not the wash (different people I am sure) either way, i dont let them do it because i woudl rather do it myself. I enjoy it so much that its usually an all day event (detail once a month - wax every week)

OP, just look at the work they do and decide. Frankly, 200 is a bit much for something you can do for an initial 100 dollar investment. I paid a little over that maybe 3 months ago and it looks show quality EVERY time. think about it.
Thanks for the advice. The reason I asked about dealers detailing cars is because the last time I took my vehicle to my dealer, they really cleaned and waxed my exterior, almost detailing it. My co-worker who drives an IS too noticed how shiny my car was, and asked did I have it professionally done.

But I'm thinking that because I was at my dealer for them to check the misfire code that's been happening to the IS 250 models, and them telling me that I have to get my engine rebuilt, maybe w them knowing that they will make about 7 grand, they really waxed my vehicle as a courtesy.
Old 02-12-13 | 07:49 PM
Dova
Pole Position

Never paying the dealer again! 1st and last time I take my car to get detailed! The reason why I took it was because I was being lazy but that stopped quick once I started finding swirl marks in my paint and a few scratches in my back seats and then blamed it on me, even thou I never take more than 2 people in my car and that's including me! If you want it done right do it yourself and if you mess up, at least you can be mad at yourself and not try to get blame for something you didn't do.
Old 02-12-13 | 10:06 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

DIY. Learn the ropes and save some money. Here is mine after Pinnacle Cleansing with a white polishing pad on my dual action polisher and two coats of Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax.
Old 02-13-13 | 02:50 AM
flavious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A70
I use Zaino by hand, takes quite a while but results are nothing short of spectacular.
+1

I usually layer about 6 coats of polish. Takes me a good 12-15 hours for a complete detailing (interior+exterior).
Old 02-13-13 | 08:38 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Layering polish?
Old 02-13-13 | 09:10 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Layering polish?
Exactly... what You don't layer polish...
Old 02-13-13 | 04:30 PM
flavious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by karasha
Exactly... what You don't layer polish...
You certainly can layer Zaino, and it will absolutely improve the final result. I stop at 6 layers, because that's when my arms fall off.

From the Zaino website:

"Zaino Show Car Polish is designed to allow a layered application for those that choose to add layer upon layer of Zaino polishes. With each layer you apply, your car's paint looks better and feels smoother. Depth, gloss and clarity all increase with each coat."

In the end, paint is super reflective, looks wet, and is very smooth (like ice that was resurfaced by a zamboni machine).

Quick Reply: Do You Pay Your Dealer to Detail and Wax Your IS?